What's new

Support?

Well, one of my plants is beginning to get a little top heavy, and it still has about 5 weeks to go. I am wondering if I should get a small tomato cage or something for it? Or is there something else folks can recommend, and share how to set up? It is an untrained Chemdawg 4, as shown here:

It is only 18" tall, and looks somewhat straight in that picture, but if you turn the pot to a different angle, you'll see it is leaning quite a bit.

al70

Veteran
hi LTTG, ye shoulda trained that girl a long time ago, what lights ya running ? looks like she stretched lookin for light, if she was mine i'd tape two chopsticks together n tie her on, looks like a nice smoke though, goodluck

frankenstein2

Astronaut Status
Veteran
Bamboo stakes at walmart, and some of the green plant ties. Prolly your cheapest best bet.........or snap a nice size limb off a tree to use as a stake, and bailing twine will also do.

hi LTTG, ye shoulda trained that girl a long time ago, what lights ya running ? looks like she stretched lookin for light, if she was mine i'd tape two chopsticks together n tie her on, looks like a nice smoke though, goodluck

She's only 18" tall at 5 weeks into flower, and the lights are normally only 1-2" above her (I move them for photos). All the rest of the stats are at the link in my signature :) This is my first grow.

al70

Veteran
and I wish you nothing but the best late to the game, I wasn't running your girl down,,,,, just my thoughts,, goodluck.:clover:

anon0988

For support it was already mentioned, the bamboo stakes. In my area I could only find 6 ft lengths, so I got those and cut them in half and do a single stake per plant. For holding I personally use pipe cleaners. The fuzzy outside of them makes sure they're not rough on the plant and they're super cheap. I cut the regular length ones in half or thirds and then use them like twist ties (making sure there's extra room so it's not squeezing the stalk).

al70

Veteran
For support it was already mentioned, the bamboo stakes. In my area I could only find 6 ft lengths, so I got those and cut them in half and do a single stake per plant. For holding I personally use pipe cleaners. The fuzzy outside of them makes sure they're not rough on the plant and they're super cheap. I cut the regular length ones in half or thirds and then use them like twist ties (making sure there's extra room so it's not squeezing the stalk).
totally agree,anon,,,fuzzy ALL THE WAY lol

Muah12

Agreed bamboo stakes and a thick twine tied not so tight as too not score ur plants stalk.
Plus having too heavy a colas always a good problem :p

DevinsDad

Well, one of my plants is beginning to get a little top heavy, and it still has about 5 weeks to go. I am wondering if I should get a small tomato cage or something for it? Or is there something else folks can recommend, and share how to set up? It is an untrained Chemdawg 4, as shown here:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=47741&pictureid=1114983View Image

It is only 18" tall, and looks somewhat straight in that picture, but if you turn the pot to a different angle, you'll see it is leaning quite a bit.

Thumb tacks and String

also did you and if so why did you prune all the fan leaves off? Jorge say no no

I didn't prune all the fan leaves off. She isn't trained or modified in any way... she's just tall and lanky. My cat nibbled on a few leaves, but nope, no defoliating. The other one I am growing is much more compact (different strain). This plant is, at most, 18" tall, and 5 weeks into flower, so not getting any taller -- just getting more top-heavy. :D

DevinsDad

I didn't prune all the fan leaves off. She isn't trained or modified in any way... she's just tall and lanky. My cat nibbled on a few leaves, but nope, no defoliating. The other one I am growing is much more compact (different strain). This plant is, at most, 18" tall, and 5 weeks into flower, so not getting any taller -- just getting more top-heavy. :D

Yea I remembered after I said it a strain 5 years ago called "Geisha" was like that, she went 5 foot tall and was real lanky.