What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

PBP Gurus... Plant Doctors... HELP!

G

Ok... I'm using PBP Bloom and about 5-6 weeks into 12/12.

Ebb & Flow with Ready Grow (coco coir/perlite) in 5 1/2" square pots. I flood once in the dark and 3 times during lights on.

Res 25 gallons... temp around 68
PH 5.8
PPM: 1100ish

Humidity is around 50-60%

Nutes PBP Bloom, Liquid Karma, Hydroplex, Silica Blast and epsom salts 12 tsps.

Lights around 12 - 14 inches off the canopy (air-cooled) Temp at the canopy is 80 degrees.

The Problem

I'm getting leaf curl on my LSD Clones. This is an up curl sorta like a closing taco with the edges getting dry.

I've searched the Grow Faqs... googled it, etc.

I seriously doubt it is heat related... canopy temps have never been above 85 degrees.

I'm thinking it is a magnesium deficiency but would like other opinions.

2292leafcurl-med.jpg

Steps taken so far... Res change... added epsom salts (I'm out of Cal-Mag... it's on order). I also did a foliar spray at lights out of 1/4 tsp epsom salt in a quart of water.

I first noticed this problem 7 - 10 days ago... was very moderate but is becoming more pronounced.

Also... PBP Pros... how are you supplementing for mag?

Hey Maistre ,
thats a hell of alot of epsom salts in your res , if your spraying them with epsom salts besides and are not seeing any changes , then it's not that .
i find PBP bloom to be low in Nitrogen , cal , mag , and to correct for this i add some PBP grow to my res untill about the 5th week of flower.

why dont you give them alittle PBP grow for afew cycles , i'll bet that cures right up for ya.

sometimes the easiest way to fix them is to give them a complete nute and let them decide what they need to make themself's better.

Peace

G

Ran it ebb and flo for a couple o years and never had a problem, OH sounds like he knows, but when ever I had a problem I would start with the res change and wait before adding anything extra like epsom salts. That does sound like a lot.

Add a straight down over the top pic of the leafs. Can't really see it that well at that angle.

G

I think your locking out some nutes by putting too much epsom salt in it. I know when I use PBP I go a week or two into flower with PB grow just to offset the N and Mg. deficiency. Depending on strain(Sativa/Indica). I say bump down the epsom, or just don't add any and see if it bounces back. Being that its hydro it should react quickly.

Blatant :wave:

mrwags

********* Female Seeds
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I watered at that frequency at that stage and found with using the ready grow I was watering to much. I now like TK water once after lights on and once an hour before lights out. I use Cal-mag to complete the Bio care line so I can't say if it's the epsom salts or not by the pro's above say it might be an issue so I would first start there. Cal Mag is the only way to go using them in a set it's easy growing but the ready grow does hold a lot of moisture. I would send Tex a pm. He fixed all my problems with his nute regime.

Mr.Wags

G

I would back off the epson salt all together, it builds up like a biatch and can lock out your plants.

OH, Bingo! a dose of the grow nutes works excellent as an ammendment in flower. Sometimes I like to overlap my nutes a little into the flower cycle before I go full bloom nutes. . I also use Topmax for a bloom booster and ammendment and I have been using/experimenting with Overdrive from AN and talk about a potash/potassium blast and major crystal action early in flower. I have been addin the overdrive at week three through five of flower with super results.

Tex

Rellikbuzz

TK to the rescue!! :biglaugh: He always knows what's going on and kudos to OH for hitting the nail on the head early on. Sounds like the epsom salts are your problem. Good luck to ya, bro!

G

Let me fill in a little bit... this curl started 3-4 days before any epsom was added.

The res was changed... and I ran about 18 hours with no nutes to give a good flush.

In a Grow Faq... there was an image... #17 that had curled leaves and the "pro" mentioned that the plants were BEGGING for mag. I added the mag a few days ago... basically about 1/2 the suggested strength.

I really appreciate everyone taking a peek in here.

I was wondering... if a combination of drowning them.... too many floods... and Mag was the issue.

I've set my timers now to flood 2 times per day.

Hey Maistre,
this problem must have been building up for quite some time and you didn't notice , if it's 5 - 6 weeks into flower and the buds are that small and almost finished , then this must have been a issue for some time.

I hate to be the doom sayer bro , but , it's done for .
even if you tried to give it a quick shot of grow juice at this point , i think it's a lost cause.

I know this is NOT what you want to hear.

i dont want you to take this the wrong way bro , honestly , but you should just cut your losses with that plant now , it's not gonna yield anything if it's 5 - 6 weeks in flower now.

do you happen to live in a area with hard water by chance ?

Peace bro

G

Hey OH... yah... it's looking rather grim for her... I think her next stop will be for the bubble bags. I ran this clone before with great success.

My water majorally sucks... but that issue is solved with an RO filter. Thanks for peeking in on me... and trying to help. I hope there is something here for all to learn from.

I checked my res again...

PH 5.8
PPM 1010
EC 1.48

I poured about a quart of the solution through a pot and captured the runoff.

PH 6.10
PPM 1080
EC 1.59

Must have been a build up of nutes to cause it to rise like that.

Thanks one and all... it was nice to see everyone jump in to try to help... it's very much appreciated.

Okie grown

Veteran
Sure its not just a little too close to the light?I have had plants do the taco thing and most of the time if i raised the lights or just got the temps. down the new growth would be fine.Just M .O.

G

Hey there friend heat is a major factor with that type of curl ...but if you dony think the canopy is getting to hot then i would say back off the nutrient strength abit ive seen that from overfeeding also..looks like the buds a getting ripe to fast and that usally indicates over feeding brother... imo back off the nutrients a little...and also the coir has a high cation exchange so it will hold onto those nutrients as youve discovered... best of luck friend

take care
greenfriend

G

Hey Okie... and GreenFriend... Thanks for looking in on this.

The canopy never was above 85... usually around 78-80... there is no bleaching of leaves... Also... the nutes have never been pushed.

I think i'm just too little too late with the Magnesium.

Maistre,
i'm glad to see that your taking this so well :smile:
i wasn't trying to be a d!ck , just being honest :wink:
from all the info you've provided about the grow , i'm alittle at a loss as to why this would have happened , is this the only plant that has been affected like this ?

truely a bummer about loosing the plant & i hope all your others are in better shape .

Peace bro

G

OH

I learned long ago to not fret about the small stuff... and totally appreciate honesty. I too am at loss as to what is going on... I ran a week or two where I know I was low on mag... (had run out of the Cal-Mag supplement).

There are about 6 plants affected so far... I was slowly building up the nute level and taking great care to not over amp this. Prior to this last res change... the PPM levels were under 1000... that is hardly pushing it... especially with PBP.

Ty much for checking in. ;-)