What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Tangwena

Veteran
I've also tried cobbing with re-hydrated bud that had been dried enough to smoke in a joint (but needs re-lighting several times) and all I got was compacted bud ....and also tried with bud that was beginning to bottle cure and that was the same result..little or no difference in the high compared to standard cured bud. As Tangwena said, fermentation doesn't happen unless the bud is "semi-alive" and still retains some moisture and is pliable. If the bud is even a day or two before bottle curing, it's probably too late for fermentation and the positive changes that occur with cobbing won't happen.

The more I cob, the less time I spend air drying the bud beforehand. I only dry (in the humid, slow drying conditions here) for 3 or 4 days, (one week max) then roll them into cobs, the leaves are droopy but still pliable and definitely not crispy.

Around here for most months of the year t takes a minimum of 3 or more weeks to dry bud enough to be ready for bottle curing or to smoke in a joint without going out several times..and even after 20 days, it's not really dry unless a dehumidifier is used. The other advantage to cobbing is that I don't have lots of branches hanging around for weeks. waiting to dry!
I agree although some have reported a good result I have never experienced it myself and stick with an almost fresh bud just 1 or 2 days dry in my very dry desert type environment.
I have very low humidity and 4 days would produce crispy green hay.

Tangwena

Veteran
Panama x Honduras resin color

Panama x Honduras resin color

This is a close up of the resin on the cured canary buds this strain seems to shine the most when this caramel color is achieved.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Tangwena

Veteran
So beautiful, Tangwena!

Lets keep cobs raining in this thread:
- My latest 2 cobs out of zamaldelica that flowered little over 100 days.
I'm pleased with the results so far. Definitely will keep the bigger one for special occasions - like a wedding ! :D

View Image

View Image
Lovely colors in those cobs my friend I love the purple hues give them a chance to age and you will love the way they evolve.
Zamaldelica some over 3 years old in my collection is my go to rocket up the ass party party cob.
If I need to go out and party thats the one ha ha.

bugman52

Bug Scissor Hand
Veteran
Thank you Tang for this method.

Do i need to remove anything besides the fan leaves before I seal?

You can remove as much or as little as you choose my friend they all end up amalgamated into the compressed bud after the cure.
I personally leave all the sugar leaves on but you dont have to it works just the same on manicured bud.
Just remember you get out what you put in. Great buds make great cobs and visa versa.

Thanks. My wife was complaining about trimming and I was complaining about weak bud. You solved both our issues.

im not noted for trimming well either , ive been wanting to try this cob curing for a while , it took me a minet to re fined this thread ,i remember that Tangwena had this thread , so now i found it again im gona try an roll a few smaller cobs .

unregistered190

Senior
Veteran
im not noted for trimming well either , ive been wanting to try this cob curing for a while , it took me a minet to re fined this thread ,i remember that Tangwena had this thread , so now i found it again im gona try an roll a few smaller cobs .

Excited to see you trying this technique bugman

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
So beautiful, Tangwena!

Lets keep cobs raining in this thread:
- My latest 2 cobs out of zamaldelica that flowered little over 100 days.
I'm pleased with the results so far. Definitely will keep the bigger one for special occasions - like a wedding ! :D

View Image

View Image

I wanna drill a hole through that and smoke it like a blunt. :biggrin: Need more rep, never enough.

F

Fermented

Instead of vacuuming the cobs after the 24 hours @ 40C (and half a day to air out and become drier though still pliable), I just wrap them very tightly in cling (PE or "Saran" or film whatever you call it..every country has a different name for it!) wrap and monitor them to make sure moisture levels and smells are within the right range. I really must get myself a vacuum sealer, as this would be way easier, better and safer. But since I've done this for awhile, I now can keep the cobs sealed and moist enough for long enough to ensure fermentation occurs while not getting mold which is a challenge when cobbing without a vac seal. If mold occurs, it's usually a very faint while or white/greyish "powder" in patches on the exterior of the cob. This can be wiped off with a cloth that is dry/damp with vinegar...but even if the mold is wiped off with vinegar or water, it seems the taste changes and the effects are diminished....that is why it's important to monitor un-vacced cobs every few days for the first few weeks, then weekly afterwards for a month or so..it's all about prevention.

Yeah, I know I should buy a vac (it's on the list!) but cobs have been made in Africa for ages without the use of vacuum sealers, so it's not impossible to do it this way, you just have to straddle a finer line between too dry (which little or no fermentation occurs) and too damp (which increases the chance of mold occurring)

F

Fermented

I wanna drill a hole through that and smoke it like a blunt. Need more rep, never enough.

It would burn for an hour or more! and you would get thirty people high...let me know, I'll bring the lighter

Tangwena

Veteran
Instead of vacuuming the cobs after the 24 hours @ 40C (and half a day to air out and become drier though still pliable), I just wrap them very tightly in cling (PE or "Saran" or film whatever you call it..every country has a different name for it!) wrap and monitor them to make sure moisture levels and smells are within the right range. I really must get myself a vacuum sealer, as this would be way easier, better and safer. But since I've done this for awhile, I now can keep the cobs sealed and moist enough for long enough to ensure fermentation occurs while not getting mold which is a challenge when cobbing without a vac seal. If mold occurs, it's usually a very faint while or white/greyish "powder" in patches on the exterior of the cob. This can be wiped off with a cloth that is dry/damp with vinegar...but even if the mold is wiped off with vinegar or water, it seems the taste changes and the effects are diminished....that is why it's important to monitor un-vacced cobs every few days for the first few weeks, then weekly afterwards for a month or so..it's all about prevention.

Yeah, I know I should buy a vac (it's on the list!) but cobs have been made in Africa for ages without the use of vacuum sealers, so it's not impossible to do it this way, you just have to straddle a finer line between too dry (which little or no fermentation occurs) and too damp (which increases the chance of mold occurring)
Very true and insightful for sure it can be done and done very well without a vac sealer.
I would love to be able to pull it off with only natural basic things like they do in Malawi.
That would be the pinnacle of the art I wish I had asked more questions. The problem was I was always buying from the distributors not the producers in Africa and your average dealer doesn't even know where it was grown for sure.
If you manage to do it please show us that would be golden information.

If I had plenty of plants to play with I am sure it wouldn't take long to figure it out.
Thanks for posting your thoughts my friend some of the best thought provoking comment for a while.

Tangwena

Veteran
Hi my friend post pics and we shall try and get it right first time for you.
Once you get the feel its dead easy but getting the feel can take time without a few pointers.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
I wanna drill a hole through that and smoke it like a blunt. Need more rep, never enough.

It would burn for an hour or more! and you would get thirty people high...let me know, I'll bring the lighter

I started a Northern Lights cob today.
This is my third attempt at cobbing.
Plant hung for around 40 hours, but this time I'm not wrapping tight.
Just put it straight in the vac bag, but I did put a bamboo skewer in the middle of the cob... Maybe I can make a cannacobagar like you guys are talking about.

Put vacsealed bag into crockpot at 110°F.

I'll check the color at 24 hrs.

Tangwena

Veteran
That should work just fine I like doing my buds that way as well I always get some very nice results especially for small amounts although I know guys that do pounds that way no problem.

Heres a small skinless tester of Mulanji after 12 hours sweating its now been touch dried and sealed to age a bit.

The last pic is a friend who is curing some Nev Haze/ Malawi buds this pic is after sweating.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

funkyhorse

Master Tangwena:
This is a small update on fermenting
The results I am obtaining with the vacuum jar are similar to what is described on cobs.
I live in Humidland, the average humidity where I am is 70%.
So when I "dry" the pressed weed, it always retains humidity and when back on the jar, I get a fermenting process which lasts about 4-7 days before I start seeing signs of mold.
When I see these signs, I stop the fermenting process, everything out of the jar for a second and final dry and after that, everything backs to the vacuum jar for the long curing.
Results really improves with time. I dont take pictures because I am really bad at it, the colours are not seen properly. I am not a photographer and it was never my hobby

My experiment curing on vacuum after just dried, was not succesful, or maybe it is succesful depending how you look at it, but it is not to my liking. I get narcotic stuff this way and I dont like it and not what I look for, maybe I did something wrong or this is the result you should obtain curing this way.
I post it because it might be good for someone else.

This is a little fermenting challenge for your summer fishing camp: to recreate and bring back the mammoth!! The mammoth is called fumo da lata or the can's smoke and I put the story in that thread because many smart and skillful thai strain growers write there and it is a pure thai landrace and probably they will have things to say about this and correct all things I might be wrong:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=8503049&postcount=1103

Pd: Master Tangwena, I think it could be a great idea if you could edit the first post of the thread and place there the most up to date info so it becomes easy to find for newcomers. This post is a must on first page:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=8215898

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
When I got home from work the temp in crock pot had climbed to 124° F. Only 20 hours in, I took lid all the way of now it's 113°F.
Buds have definitely darkened quite a bit. Hope I didn't ruin it by temp getting so high.
I'll remove it from crockpot and open vacsealed bag at 24hrs. Unless I hear otherwise from you guys.

Tangwena

Veteran
Master Tangwena:
This is a small update on fermenting
The results I am obtaining with the vacuum jar are similar to what is described on cobs.
I live in Humidland, the average humidity where I am is 70%.
So when I "dry" the pressed weed, it always retains humidity and when back on the jar, I get a fermenting process which lasts about 4-7 days before I start seeing signs of mold.
When I see these signs, I stop the fermenting process, everything out of the jar for a second and final dry and after that, everything backs to the vacuum jar for the long curing.
Results really improves with time. I dont take pictures because I am really bad at it, the colours are not seen properly. I am not a photographer and it was never my hobby

My experiment curing on vacuum after just dried, was not succesful, or maybe it is succesful depending how you look at it, but it is not to my liking. I get narcotic stuff this way and I dont like it and not what I look for, maybe I did something wrong or this is the result you should obtain curing this way.
I post it because it might be good for someone else.

This is a little fermenting challenge for your summer fishing camp: to recreate and bring back the mammoth!! The mammoth is called fumo da lata or the can's smoke and I put the story in that thread because many smart and skillful thai strain growers write there and it is a pure thai landrace and probably they will have things to say about this and correct all things I might be wrong:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=8503049&postcount=1103

Pd: Master Tangwena, I think it could be a great idea if you could edit the first post of the thread and place there the most up to date info so it becomes easy to find for newcomers. This post is a must on first page:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=8215898
Wow thats a lot of very interesting reports my friend.
My wife is speaks Portuguese so I will get her to translate it for me and get back to you.
Thanks for posting that my friend I am sure it will make interesting reading.
Yes the high can become narcotic by long fermentation you can get everything from speedy to narcotic from the same buds by varying the length of fermentation.

Tangwena

Veteran
When I got home from work the temp in crock pot had climbed to 124° F. Only 20 hours in, I took lid all the way of now it's 113°F.
Buds have definitely darkened quite a bit. Hope I didn't ruin it by temp getting so high.
I'll remove it from crockpot and open vacsealed bag at 24hrs. Unless I hear otherwise from you guys.
Hi my friend I would remove the pot from the heat and dry the buds until they are dry on the surface only but still moist in the center then vacuum seal them for a week.
Then open the bag again and dry further re seal for another week.
By this time you should have a sweet fermented smell when you open the bag.
Once you get that sweet smell dry the buds and re seal them to age for a month minimum after one month they should be ready to smoke or chew.
All buds are different some it takes a week some two or three to get the sweet smell but the sweet smell is the most important indicator of fermentation having occurred or still occurring.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
Hi my friend I would remove the pot from the heat and dry the buds until they are dry on the surface only but still moist in the center then vacuum seal them for a week.
Then open the bag again and dry further re seal for another week.
By this time you should have a sweet fermented smell when you open the bag.
Once you get that sweet smell dry the buds and re seal them to age for a month minimum after one month they should be ready to smoke or chew.
All buds are different some it takes a week some two or three to get the sweet smell but the sweet smell is the most important indicator of fermentation having occurred or still occurring.
Ok Tang, so take it out of crockpot now?
Thanks