What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mosaic Virus in Cannabis pics

MagniKhan

Veteran
I have a white widow plant that exhibits most if not all of these symptoms, but it grows some damn strong bud, and I've never had wilting or yield issues with it. I suspected it was viral some time ago, since it showed this pattern from seed. And yes, using a TON of epsom salt pretty much makes it very happy.

I have to ask, how does this virus spread? If I have other plants with this plant on the same res, will it get into the water? I don't see this on any of my other strains, so I have not witnessed it spread. In fact, it seems that with every generation of clones I take, the problem lessens and the plant is getting stronger! I assumed it just needed a ton of Mg to grow....

IMG_2727.jpg

IMG_2734.jpg

IMG_2732.jpg

IMG_2731.jpg

IMG_27341.jpg

IMG_2764.jpg

IMG_2766.jpg

As it turns out these might as well be pics of my plants( as well as others in this thread). Also White Widow, mine is from Nirvana.
I've had this since my first run with some bagseed, always thought it was my fault being new at this, and all. Didn't really start looking in to it till recently.
I have a batch of Nirvana AK48 going that has just completely gone to shit in there fourth week. So I looked up the "Cannabis Infirmary" and the first thread I see I thought I peek in on ( Having read about viruses last year when I started growing, I got curious), and damn....
I never thought to connect the two. Once again I thought I was causing this with pH fluctuations, and just hadn't gotten around to posting pics and asking questions. For the most part I had better and better runs.
I wonder if this is why I have been SO much more successful in hydro then soil?
So I'm still a little confused as what to do now. I've read the whole thread......cut them all, burn the place, get new equipment and start over? Is there an acceptable treatment?
And back to starting over,....are we talking new A/C and duct new? I could fucking ....:puke:

OjoRojo420

Feeling good is good enough.
Veteran
The most ironic fact is that when I received the seeds from Canada I kept some "mutants" as I thought it was a sign of Blueberry dominance.

Little I knew I just opened my door to a Trojan horse.

The point is...

In truth SHE kicks ass in the high department.

Very potent hybrid.

Perhaps I'll try next BCSC's offering of NL#5 x Blueberry.

I want to keep one for Head Stash...

oldog

" Insults in this place are like a fart in the wind if you have any kind of intestional fortitude"

I don't agree with that. There is no reason for people to be rude and insulting to other posters. If it is frequent it is mainly because the insulter is anonymous online. They wouldn't dare to speak to anyone like that in person.

MagniKhan

Veteran
OJO's pics clearly display a chlorophyll mottling which is also another symptom,,this is not
a symptom nor sign in any other case other than a mosaic virus....end of story.

This mottling of green chlorophyll where 1 single leaf will be segregated and be yellow or light green and then a healthy dark green is an indicator of the protein mutating at a cellular level and altering chlorophyll production.
!

Have these statements been validated?

RW, you are a wealth of infomation and as such you should be a little more humble in your post, it would go along way in getting you heard!
Yes, I know people on the net ( or anywhere for that matter) can be narrow minded, and will hold to there own ideas in the face of the truth, that would tell most people otherwise. You can't change that, you can only change you.

If you want to be heard ( and with the work I've see you've put in to this I would think you do) you must let go of the idiots and there ignorance, and move on with the the subject at hand. Yes challenge them if they are making false statements, just don't berate them.
I think you have, and most likely have had great input and experience that this community sorely needs.
Please try to rise above, and you'll have no problem being heard.

I hope we can continue this topic as I have much to learn about it.
Looks like I'm about to cull, disinfect, paint and start over....

Noobian

Green is Gold
Veteran
" Insults in this place are like a fart in the wind if you have any kind of intestional fortitude"

I don't agree with that. There is no reason for people to be rude and insulting to other posters. If it is frequent it is mainly because the insulter is anonymous online. They wouldn't dare to speak to anyone like that in person.

Olddog I agree that there is no reason for people to be rude and insulting to other posters. In a perfect world we would all have manners and treat each other with respect, but this is not a perfect world in cyberspace and imo there is fine line between someone just being an asshole once in a while and them constantly trolling and not contributing anything positive to the site. Which one was WR?

Noobian

Green is Gold
Veteran
Have these statements been validated?

RW, you are a wealth of infomation and as such you should be a little more humble in your post, it would go along way in getting you heard!
Yes, I know people on the net ( or anywhere for that matter) can be narrow minded, and will hold to there own ideas in the face of the truth, that would tell most people otherwise. You can't change that, you can only change you.

If you want to be heard ( and with the work I've see you've put in to this I would think you do) you must let go of the idiots and there ignorance, and move on with the the subject at hand. Yes challenge them if they are making false statements, just don't berate them.
I think you have, and most likely have had great input and experience that this community sorely needs.
Please try to rise above, and you'll have no problem being heard.

I hope we can continue this topic as I have much to learn about it.
Looks like I'm about to cull, disinfect, paint and start over....

Couldn't have said it better magnikhan, excellent post! :thank you:

H

humboldtlocal

I have one plant exhibiting this trait. I have had several of them like this over the years. Usually at least one or two a season. If it has just been a leaf or two we usually just grow them. If they are real bad we don't. The bud always turns out fine. Maybe one branch will have a bit more yellow look to it. The majority of the plant looks fine it is just a couple tops. I have never heard of any one talking about TMV around this community or referring to this as it. What do you guys think?

picture.php

picture.php

I've unfortunately seen plants that look like every picture in these posts. A grow partner and I struggled with what Wandering Roman was trying to explain. It got so bad that we scrapped the whole grow, got rid of all plants, got new lights, new containers, new soil, new utensils,scrubbed the walls and floors, ect.

After doing all that it still wasn't gone, my buddy ended up selling his place and moving, he bought all new stuff again and started over like he never grown in his life, new spot and all. Everything is great now.

I searched the net at the time and read everything I possibly could about virus's, diseases, pathogens, ect, ect. What I think happened in our situation is we put some plants outside and after they vegged and got big we took some cuts off them and brought them into our grow, real dumb mistake and a lesson learned.

I live in farm land, like Sam said about the insects being vectors is what I thought happened to us, I think an insect gave something to our plants, not sure what it was but we called it the plague lol, it was the worse thing ever.

Them immature bud pics of WR's are horrid, what happens is sometimes the plant can be totally healthy and grow nice with no symptoms then all of a sudden a few weeks into flowering all your buds turn brownish tan, the hairs wither, and you get NO trichome coverage, period. Your grow is done from that point on, no added weight, no crystals, no new hairs, nothing...your toast.

I think this "thing" i'm talkin about is a whole different beast then the mosaic problems 99% of growers talk about with the little leaf crinkle and molted patterns. I have plants that produce the mosaic like mentioned alot of the Chems, OG's, Kushes, White, ect, do that, but you still have successful grows and it really isn't an issue. Thats what seperates it IMO.

I just hope I never see the PLAGUE again lol!!!!!
i have grown ogs with mosaic virus leaf curl etc.. did not really notice a big issue with it between which had it and which did not. that virus that kills whole plants maybe is a different virus. i have grown plants with a mosaic virus many times never had an issue never considered not growing them because of it as it had no noticeable effect on yield etc... who knows.

Greenmopho

Okay, lets take some mystery out of this. I orderd those TMV test strips. My suspect White Widow that I posted earlier came out negative, which leads me to believe most of the mosaic virus symptoms are just micronutrient deficiencies. The plant wasn't bred well, and is super hungry. The top leaves turn yellow under strong light, unless I give it a ton of magnesium to stay green. But then all that extra magmesium locks out calcium and potasium, so then bottom leaves curl a bit and i get necrotic blotches on the leaves. The plant (or me) just has a hard time balancing all those micros into harmony, where a well bred plant shouldn't have that issue...

OjoRojo420

Veteran
Okay, lets take some mystery out of this. I orderd those TMV test strips. My suspect White Widow that I posted earlier came out negative, which leads me to believe most of the mosaic virus symptoms are just micronutrient deficiencies. The plant wasn't bred well, and is super hungry. The top leaves turn yellow under strong light, unless I give it a ton of magnesium to stay green. But then all that extra magmesium locks out calcium and potasium, so then bottom leaves curl a bit and i get necrotic blotches on the leaves. The plant (or me) just has a hard time balancing all those micros into harmony, where a well bred plant shouldn't have that issue...

Great news!

Hope you find the right balance or strain.

Albertine

I have multiple strains in this first grow, and one strain has this variegation, a sativa type. It hasn't spread so am pretty sure it is bred in. Needless to say they won't be cloned on. I am having trouble taking care of these guys too. They look happy in new soil, then the variegation pops out. They seem much hungrier than the others. Thanks for the info about magnesium. I've been trying to fix it with k-mag and cal-mag previously to that, but haven't fixed it yet. SO bitchy. Wish I knew what I was doing! The non affected ones aren't showing anything like these gals - some are actually looking borderline overfed - no burning but dark green.
I did see an extension type article online that said a phosphorus deficiency can show with virus like symptoms. I have a slew of problems with this first grow, one of which is root aphids, so hope to have a better show next go around. Learning a lot.

Greenmopho

^^^ Dude, if you got root aphids, a virus is of little concern. Root aphids will show up as all sorts of deficiencies. Of course you are lacking phosphorus, roots are mostly phosphorus and you got critters munchin' on your roots!!!

Albertine

^^^ Dude, if you got root aphids, a virus is of little concern. Root aphids will show up as all sorts of deficiencies. Of course you are lacking phosphorus, roots are mostly phosphorus and you got critters munchin' on your roots!!!

Yeah, no shit. It's interesting though that the deficiencies are so much worse on this particular strain. It's an overall hungriness right now that is so much more obvious than on the other strains. And the variegation is definitely specific to certain plants that have always had it. I am sure the aphids are making all of it worse. This is a different kind of deficiency than the low mag look - had that too on the bad ones in veg in plastic pots. The smart pots in flower just aren't producing the same numbers of bugs that the plastic does. I'm still fucked, just not as badly as it could be at this point.

Grass Lands

Veteran
I was having some of the issues shown in the pics...well low and behold they weren't showing me a virus, but a deficiency. I was pushing my girls just a bit to hard and it was causing a lock out of some micro's...after lightening up on the nutes they responded with flying colors....

I think sometimes folks like to stir up the pot to see how folks will react and I almost got caught up in the madness...

Peace
GL:tiphat:

OjoRojo420

Veteran
In my case the Virus was very real indeed to the point that my prized NL#5 x Blueberry mother is reduced to a clone in quarantine.

I am DONE with blueberry dominant strains. Just want to move on...

I compare it to sex with a psycho gal. It is good, but living with her is a hell.

No more high maintenance strains for me.

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Guess this is genetic , femmed Blueberry shite , mottle persisted to the end and looked like Coleus.

picture.php

Could not be transferred deliberately to a different plant despite trying and no infectious agent is present, the clone carried the same trait and grew identical .

Seed made with it look fine but zero viability from 200.

Greenmopho

Guess this is genetic , femmed Blueberry shite , mottle persisted to the end and looked like Coleus.

picture.php

Could not be transferred deliberately to a different plant despite trying and no infectious agent is present, the clone carried the same trait and grew identical .

Seed made with it look fine but zero viability from 200.

Holy crap, never seen anything like that in my garden...

OjoRojo420

Veteran
^^^

Sad state of affairs my brother.

Wish you well...

I want strong, desert Island genetics... I don't care for a freak show that never ends.

Most likely I'll switch to Mango Haze and Kali Mist.

They clone like crazy and are very modest feeders...

As far as I know, very hardy strains.

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't care for a freak show that never ends.

Have had one in the corner of the grow for twenty years and i love it.

Was told when i started growing plants to give the freaks of all species a chance , with canna till they hermi or are obviously not worth the space.

Seen some weird stuff and not just from Blueberry genetics , some really odd traits but mostly too unstable to work or crippled in some other way.
Some plants have produced buds of the highest quality , others were complete dogs but all were interesting in some way and few people would ever see them.

Have seen every symptom of infection in this thread and more , none have ever transferred to another plant and all that could be cloned have exhibited the same traits as from seed.

Despite using tobacco extracts as insecticide on a regular basis have never had a transferable virus in the rooms or canna greenhouse , possibly because i boil it for a minute.

Have had cucumber mosaic virus under glass in damp years and that can most definitely infect canna by leaf contact and stems rubbing and was confirmed by the RHS as present in a sample in 2003 , old wooden greenhouse abandoned and burnt and never mixed species since.