Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Grow Diaries > Side by Side Grow Experiments > Germinating in wet paper towels vs soil

Thread Title Search
Germinating in wet paper towels vs soil Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-23-2016, 04:00 AM #11
Bongstar420

Bongstar420 is a jewel in the roughBongstar420 is a jewel in the roughBongstar420 is a jewel in the roughBongstar420 is a jewel in the roughBongstar420 is a jewel in the roughBongstar420 is a jewel in the rough
It doesn't matter.

The paper towel is so you can see that your stuff did actually germinate whereas, in soil, thats hard to verify (pythium is common destroyer of seed that just popped open).

I just put them in water at room temperature to reduce the amount of blank cells when doing seed tests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantingplants View Post
So I had 20 seeds. I put 10 in wet paper towels, and 10 in moist soil on a heat mat. I planted the 10 when they cracked. The paper towel seeds broke ground first by two days.

These results aren't conclusive because of two variables I couldn't accurately measure or control in the soil. Moisture level and temperature. The wet paper towels were more moist and warmer. I believe if those two variables are identical, media doesn't matter as long as the seeds are in direct contact with it.

Further experiments to come.
Bongstar420 is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-10-2018, 02:30 AM #12
farmerlion
IC Mag Supporter

farmerlion has much to be proud offarmerlion has much to be proud offarmerlion has much to be proud offarmerlion has much to be proud offarmerlion has much to be proud offarmerlion has much to be proud offarmerlion has much to be proud offarmerlion has much to be proud offarmerlion has much to be proud offarmerlion has much to be proud offarmerlion has much to be proud of
I have been using the Mandala method for several years now. With great germination rates each year. I reseed if needed, by the end of a long summer of vegetative growth. Sometimes being a week late keeps them from the roof of the greenhouse. Peace
farmerlion is offline Quote

Old 02-11-2018, 01:34 AM #13
MJPassion
Observer

MJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond repute
As mentioned already,
Paper towel method allows visual identification of germination.

I use paper towels for old seeds & stopped the overnight soak & realized better germ rates.
MJPassion is offline Quote

Old 02-11-2018, 02:08 AM #14
usda101

usda101 is just really niceusda101 is just really niceusda101 is just really niceusda101 is just really niceusda101 is just really niceusda101 is just really niceusda101 is just really niceusda101 is just really niceusda101 is just really niceusda101 is just really nice
albumid=26983&pictureid=182401 7&thumb=1[/img][/url] Straight to soil beats paper towel method all day. In solo cups is best to keep from having to replant from a tray and less stress . I have tried every method paper towel , coco etc . I should have put these in solo cups but used tray , they where planted 3 hours ago . Will update when they break soil .
usda101 is offline Quote

Old 02-13-2018, 03:59 PM #15
usda101

usda101 is just really niceusda101 is just really niceusda101 is just really niceusda101 is just really niceusda101 is just really niceusda101 is just really niceusda101 is just really niceusda101 is just really niceusda101 is just really niceusda101 is just really nice
usda101 is offline Quote

Old 02-14-2018, 02:20 AM #16
Dropped Cat
Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch

Dropped Cat has a brilliant futureDropped Cat has a brilliant futureDropped Cat has a brilliant futureDropped Cat has a brilliant futureDropped Cat has a brilliant futureDropped Cat has a brilliant futureDropped Cat has a brilliant futureDropped Cat has a brilliant futureDropped Cat has a brilliant futureDropped Cat has a brilliant futureDropped Cat has a brilliant future
I do a water soak overnight and usually sprout tails,
then plant in a light soil mix to continue sprouting,
then transplant to the coco pots.

Keep it simple.

Old 02-17-2018, 09:53 AM #17
bilko

bilko is just really nicebilko is just really nicebilko is just really nicebilko is just really nicebilko is just really nicebilko is just really nicebilko is just really nicebilko is just really nicebilko is just really nicebilko is just really nicebilko is just really nice
-

Last edited by bilko; 03-03-2018 at 08:21 AM..
bilko is offline Quote

Old 02-22-2018, 01:42 AM #18
FunkBomb
Power Armor rules

FunkBomb is a glorious beacon of lightFunkBomb is a glorious beacon of lightFunkBomb is a glorious beacon of lightFunkBomb is a glorious beacon of lightFunkBomb is a glorious beacon of lightFunkBomb is a glorious beacon of lightFunkBomb is a glorious beacon of lightFunkBomb is a glorious beacon of lightFunkBomb is a glorious beacon of lightFunkBomb is a glorious beacon of lightFunkBomb is a glorious beacon of light
I use a heatmat with a 10x20 seedling tray with a dome. 2-5 days is all it takes and you're done.

-Funk

Bertrand Russell
FunkBomb is offline Quote

Old 02-22-2018, 01:50 AM #19
stim

stim will become famous soon enoughstim will become famous soon enoughstim will become famous soon enough
I actually prefer paper towel however I usually go straight to soil instead. I would add that you should hang the paper towel in a Ziploc bag so the roots grow straight. I believe the dez or root caps of the seeds utilize gravitropism to accomplish this.
stim is offline Quote

Old 02-22-2018, 02:04 AM #20
positivity

positivity is a glorious beacon of lightpositivity is a glorious beacon of lightpositivity is a glorious beacon of lightpositivity is a glorious beacon of lightpositivity is a glorious beacon of lightpositivity is a glorious beacon of lightpositivity is a glorious beacon of lightpositivity is a glorious beacon of lightpositivity is a glorious beacon of lightpositivity is a glorious beacon of lightpositivity is a glorious beacon of light
Never again will I dig for a bought seed with a chopstick to see what happened to it.

paper towel..'

If its good it'll go. If its bad it'll stop. If its tired it'll stall. Flip the towel to check...or...play mini excavator

Tried the worm bin vs paper towel recently. Towel won. YMMV
positivity is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.