Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Infirmary > Thrips 101: Introduction to Western Flower Thrips

Thread Title Search
Thrips 101: Introduction to Western Flower Thrips Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-30-2007, 06:06 PM #11
nycdfan042
Its COOL to DROOL!!!!!!

nycdfan042 is a name known to allnycdfan042 is a name known to allnycdfan042 is a name known to allnycdfan042 is a name known to allnycdfan042 is a name known to allnycdfan042 is a name known to allnycdfan042 is a name known to allnycdfan042 is a name known to allnycdfan042 is a name known to allnycdfan042 is a name known to allnycdfan042 is a name known to all
kokua thank you.
ill post the info we found about spinosad causing cancer...i hope we can dinf it again...after that link we found many others praising its good uses.

So is this product only good for vegging clones/seeeedlings?? my bloom room is wel into flower...some plants are on week 4.5 and others are simply on week 3.....its prolly not a gooood idea to use it on them right???
SUBY : Our thoughts and prayers are with you brother!

RIP ELEMENTAL * I WONT FORGET YOU!

Last edited by nycdfan042; 07-04-2007 at 12:57 AM..
nycdfan042 is offline Quote

Old 06-30-2007, 06:19 PM #12
kokua

I don't know to be perfectly honest. I treated in veg and didn't worry about flower. I don't like spraying anything in flower...I let the girls that had thrips in the flower room just do their thing while I treated the veg. The thrip infested plants will finish fine and wont compramise the final product...other than yield.

At 4.5 and 3 weeks I might apply at least 1x to knock the populations for a loop. If you spray thoroughly enough you might be able to rid your 12/12 with one application!

I like baccus He is a good guy and a good grower.

Old 06-30-2007, 06:27 PM #13
nycdfan042
Its COOL to DROOL!!!!!!

nycdfan042 is a name known to allnycdfan042 is a name known to allnycdfan042 is a name known to allnycdfan042 is a name known to allnycdfan042 is a name known to allnycdfan042 is a name known to allnycdfan042 is a name known to allnycdfan042 is a name known to allnycdfan042 is a name known to allnycdfan042 is a name known to allnycdfan042 is a name known to all
thank YOU so much uve been ever so hepful!! i mean really above and beyond excellent info and help ,you got a golden heart and K+ 4 sure!!!!

were having a hard time finding that same exact link(where it mentios the carcinogens)...all were finding links to now is how SAFE spinosad is compared to other agents...so ill take the regular precautions, and wear eye protection gloves and a small respirator when applying...is it good to "wash off" the spinosad with a water foliar spray?? a day or two after the first treatment??

i just ordered the spinosad should leave monday and arrive sometime during the week(worms way is quick for me!) my question is HOW much to use?? per gallon of water?? what is the dilution ratio or the application rate?? again thank you so much kokua!!

Last edited by nycdfan042; 07-04-2007 at 12:57 AM..

Old 06-30-2007, 06:38 PM #14
kokua

No worries...I love to help other that need it and want it. Don't mind baccus either...he might have been really high lol Shoot me a pm if you can find that link...I would appreciate it.

mosquito dunks are fantastic control for thirp larvae...but only work on larvae, not necessarily adults or nymphs.

The active ingredient in mosquito dunks is bacillus thuringiensis (Bt) is a naturally occurring bacterial disease of insects, perfectly 100% natural

The downside to the mosquito dunks is that Bt is susceptible to degradation by sunlight. Most formulations persist on foliage less than a week following application. Some of the newer strains developed for mosquito control become ineffective in about 24 hours. In addition...Bt-based products tend to have a shorter shelf life than other insecticides. Manufacturers generally indicate reduced effectiveness after two to three years of storage. Shelf life is greatest when storage conditions are cool, dry and out of direct sunlight. My problem is that I don't know how long my garden center has had them on their shelves...and I don't even want to think about how old they were before they put them on their shelves...(how long was it at the mfr and distributor?)

Bottom line...I have used MD with moderate to good success and other times I have used them and seen nothing. I attribute this to the 'shelf life' and old product.

baccus is right on with his advice...you can cruble and sprinkle MD's on the foliage and in the soil. And depending on the 'freshness' of the dunks...you might see some posative results. BUT NOTHING LIKE WHAT THE SPINOSAD OFFERS.

Nowadays...I put the mosquito dunks in the same group as the sm-90's and pyrethrins and soaps and all that other stuff that works...but none even come close to the effectiveness of the spinosad for thrips.

dose as the label tells you too....I never wash off anything, except oils. Just spray it on and leave it....its fine.

Old 06-30-2007, 06:50 PM #15
nycdfan042
Its COOL to DROOL!!!!!!

^^ thank you man...i guess i owe baccas a "sorry dood" and yea i guess he was really high...and just not in the moood to type al that info in a chat window cant fault him for that..he is generaly a cool cat....and thanks again for all the info i guess ll thats left for me to do is receive my spino saf and treat my veg area!

ill let the bloom room alone till its finished..and then what should i do??? clean up thoroughly, wash the wallls with a chlorox bleach/ water solution?? i have carpet in closet...should i just spray some diluter spinosad on the ground/floor area of the bloom room- when im finished flowering?? just incase?? i wanna clean that whole area(simply because my blooom rooom[walk in coset] is a foot away from my enclosed home made vegitation partition i made with polyvinyl and woood LOL)....i actually sleep feet away from the veg area(altho it is enclosed for the most part when the 12/12 hps comes on i open the polyvinyl at night i cover it up....is it a bad idea to be spraying this stufff so closely to where i sleep every night???

thanks again kokua!! u rock!!!!!!!

Old 06-30-2007, 07:25 PM #16
kokua

I am not a scientist...and I didn't formulate spinosad, however I did stay at a holliday inn last night

I wouldn't worry about it though...in all seriousness. Spinosad is a live culture, a microorganism. It hasn't shown any harm to mammals...especially humans. My grow room is less than 3 feet from where I sleep at night...I haven't noticed any ill effects yet...yet. lol But that doesn't mean anything really... I might drop dead in 10 years cause of this...you never know.

Carpet is a no no for any grow room...for lots of reasons. It is a perfect 'safe harbor' for all sorts of nasties...mold, pathogens, bugs, etc. If you can...rip that shit up and put down something a little less giving. I tore out my carpet in the height of my thrip problems...and guess what I found down underneath the carpet padding? If you can't rip the carpet out...I would spray with the spinosad. Use caution though...I haven't tested this stuff on carpet to see what it does, if anything. My advice on that would be to test a small corner piece of carpet and wait a week. IF you notice anything you don't like...then don't spray.

Spinosad works by direct contact...or by ingestion. Theoretically you could spray the carpet and when the thrips came in contact they would be killed. But how thoroughly would you need to drench the carpet to get 'contact'...I don't know.

It is good practice to tear down and clean walls, floors, and all surfaces thoroughly in between runs. This will only make your job as a caretaker much easier. Remember, preventative maintenance is the best kind of maintenance in an herb garden.

Old 07-01-2007, 06:06 AM #17
nycdfan042
Its COOL to DROOL!!!!!!

^^ hell yea my thoughts exactly, i was thinking of (after spraying the carpet down with spinosad), to screw down a piece of tarp under the 1k watt light.....and effectively cover the surface of the closet. Obviously wuldnt be ripping out the carpet but deff would become a barrier for the thrips....and yes after i finish up whats in the closet ill do a nice cleaning. The veg side ill just spray down with spino sad,,,i hope the 1 qt bottle lasts long enough...does that stuff go a long way?? i sure hope so! Thanks again for the help dood you sure know how to help people out man you are awesome!!!!! thank you thank you!!

Old 07-06-2007, 11:21 PM #18
nycdfan042
Its COOL to DROOL!!!!!!

Hey kokua whenever you get online can you help me figure out how to apply this spinosad? it jost arrived in the mail today!! i wanna get started on killing them right now!!! the label calls for 4 table spoons per gallon of water!! thats a hefty ammount is that about correct??? please let me know as soon as you can i wanna apply some ASAP!! i pray it works...if this doesnt work im ordering 1500 lady bugs!!!

Old 07-07-2007, 08:43 PM #19
nycdfan042
Its COOL to DROOL!!!!!!

Well im incredibly happy to report to you that the spinosad seems to have worked....with oneapplication i see ZERO thrips today.....me & missnycdfan inspected every single leaf we could(obviously we missed a few here nthere) but where we would normallly see thrips we saw NOTHING, i actually think i saw a carcass or two...either they just fell off int he soil below(wich i sprayed withs pinosad) and died, or they went to the carpet..wich i also sprayed with spinosad!
So far so good....so i will pray two more times.....once per week?? is that how it goes kokua?? i still have the bloom room to contend with( i took the 2.5 week old kodiak gold lady and sprayed her down even tho i know once shes put back shelll get some thrips on her..but at least im tyring...i also lycol-ed and spinosaded the walls and carpet leading to veg area and im trying to not touch the veg area once ive touched the bloom room! i dont expect to get them alll at once..but in time i will eradicate these guys as soon as i harvest the kodiak golds!!! thats fer sure!!!!! i might cull a 90 day ISS plant simply because she owuld fuck up the whole time frame!! the kodiaks are almost finished(with the exception of the 90 day ISS pheno and the 2.5 week old seedling kodiak)so i can jusst harvest the KG, kill the 90 dayer, spray the 3 wks old KG female..and then take verything out shut down for a a good 12 hrs(put the single KG female in the veg side while i clean the bloom room heavily ...with bleach/water combo and lycol). Wish me luck!

but i wanna give a major thank you to KOKUA that spray apparently so far has worked on the veg side...ive looked several times with two sets of eyes(me & missnycdfan) and we both agreee something deffinitely worked..because we see ZERO thrips in the veg area!!! i will check regularly, but if i dont see anything should i continue the recommended one spray a week for 3 week schedule?? and again i will do my best between now and harvest to lycol the carpet and spino sad the areas linking both grow areas!!
thanks again KOKUA for the amazing thread, information and most of all your efforts and intellect...much K+++++... have a great weekend!!!

Old 07-07-2007, 09:49 PM #20
kokua

its great to hear you are seeing positive results!!

I would continue to spray...1x per week for 2 more applications.

It was pretty easy wasn't it? lol Spinosad rules!