What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How long do you hold your hit?

iBogart

Veteran
I ask cause I've noticed a lot "weed tubers" blowing the smoke out too fast IMO. Bill Clinton hits, like Elon did on Joe Rogan.

So, how long do you hold your hits on average? Me, I grew up smoking in the eighties when its was necessary to hold your hit as deep as you could for as long as you could, not only to get high, but to conserve that precious stash. Lord knows if your dealer would run dry on that mexican/colombian (or wherever it came from) brick we had.

So for me, a proper hit is 5 seconds held deep in the lungs. If you do that and the bud is strong, that's a one hitter quitter in my neck of the woods.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Until zero smoke comes out.

Well when I was young. Now days I hit a tube and there isn't much holding it in. Few seconds tops. That's of course because I take a monster rip because in my mind I'm still young haha

Brother Nature

Generally 5-10 seconds. With hash I try to hold it in as long as possible. :D

I read a study somewhere (think it may have been through NORML) and it stated that 20 seconds was the optimal time to hold a hit in. If I'm low on bud and need a little to go the distance, I try and hit that 20 second mark each time. It's harder than it sounds lol

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I take a large dab and take it deep to the bottom of my lungs and then let it right out .. no holding here ... just a nice deep breath

Cannavore

Veteran
the smoke passes the blood brain barrier near instantaneously so anything after 5-10 seconds to me is just you depriving yourself of oxygen, lol.

Gry

Do three in a row.
Hold them in about as long
as it takes to fill the next one.

St. Phatty

1 minute or more, unless I'm sensing an impending cough.

I take just one hit. Potent pot, hopefully.

Then, maybe 2 hours later, another hit.

I

Ignignokt

Maybe 5-10 seconds.
If i blow it out any sooner it feels dirty or harsher or something in my mouth.

insomniac_AU

TBH probably 2 seconds. I find that gives me the most enjoyable exhale. When you have heaps you don't need to ghost every toke. :)

caliprop215

Veteran
I read somewhere that the is absorbed in the first 8 or 9 seconds.after that u get the tars and other bull crap.....but don't quote me...I'm GNA look it up now lol to be sure

Lrus007

Veteran
older stoner here.
hold your tokes a while, you will get higher.
i say this because at parties. people would smoke
all night by blowing tokes out quickly. if you wanted
to get high you held your tokes in. younger people
blow out there tokes to quickly. * in my opinion
Lrus007

St. Phatty

Maybe 5-10 seconds.
If i blow it out any sooner it feels dirty or harsher or something in my mouth.

It's worse if your gums are inflamed because of a tooth infection and dead tooth situation.

I normally smoke about a gram a day. I had to cut way back.

I tapped out the bowl full on a centrigram scale. It read 0.00 and the scale was calibrated. So that small bowl full weighed a little less than .005 grams.

Sh.t, they have those machines that measure your THC blood levels. Reads out picograms per cc or parts per billion or something.

I would expect that the Cannabis industry would benefit from knowing the answer to the question.

They should have that at a Cannabis conference, maybe even at the Emerald Cup. Let people smoke, measure how long they hold it in, then measure their THC blood levels. Use the same tools the cops use, unless there is a better tool available.

Actually one of the original HP facilities is in Santa Rosa right next to the Emerald Cup.

Now that Cannabis is legal, maybe the corporate types at HP/Agilent/Keysight could see fit to loan some analytical equipment to the Cup.

I think that would be a fun thing to study.

One note about the Cup this year, if I went I would throw a mattress in the back of my truck and have that as a back-up place to stay.

There are so many wildfire refugees that many or most of the Motel 6 type motels are No Vacancy. Pretty much across all of Northern California.

insomniac_AU

Just one pass through the lungs. I've never felt the need to hold it in.
When I was young we used to hold it in as long as we could. Good weed was hard to get and we would always stretch it as far as possible and squeeze every last drop out of each toke. These days things are different. I have plenty of quality weed so I don't need to do that. If one isn't enough I'll just have another. I'm also slowly trying to reduce the amount I smoke by supplementing with edibles. I still love a smoke though so I can't see myself completely quitting.

Latest posts

Latest posts