What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Blackwater first indoor grow

Fiddynut

these are lookin great,brother!

sucks about the pest

azamax works and should hold them at bay, another choice would be neem
dont go overboard on the pest control tho
we dont need to erridaicate the buggars, jsut hold them off
these babies should only be a few weeks from harvest ( i think you are in what, week 5-6? of flower, please correct me if im wrong) so its not as bad as if it were earlier in growth
these babaies are almsot finished

what is important is after your grow
ditch the soil and give the whole area a good spray
i like h2o2 and soapy water but clean your area really well
Still looking pretty good this morning. More and more yellowing on all 3 girls now but it's getting late in the cycle so I think that's ok. They are on day 47 or 48 of flower and are suppose to be a 55-60 day strain.
I'm kind of bummed about the bugs but not much I can do about it. Here in the Midwest there are a ton of bugs in the summer. I do a lot of disc golfing and hiking in the woods and stuff so I bring them in all the time. I am already thinking of taking a couple months off next summer when the bugs are at there worst to get a break and avoid infestation. In winter it's a frozen bug free world so I should have good luck and since I grow from seed I shouldn't have to worry so much. I am going to give some azamax in there water tonight or tomorrow. They seem a little less thirsty this week. I did a little root damage when I staked them last few days. I tried to stay on the side of the pots but I felt some roots ripping while I Wes sticking house stakes down.
You are absolutely right that I should not go buck wild with pest control at this point. Nothing I do will help them much at this stage but I could hurt them a lot if I overdose them with stuff so just a little azamax which doesn't seem to be very effective against RA anyway (if I have root aphids like I suspect). Going to finish these baby's and then go crazy cleaning cleaning and more cleaning. Soap, bleach, h2o2 and bathroom cleaner, multiple applications over a couple weeks and get rid of my open bag of soil. I have a sealed bag of happy frog and not sure if that could be infected too. It's even possible that the soil was infected when I got it. The garden store I get it has it outside right next to all there outdoor plants and shit so something may have migrated over.
I will update and take some pics on next watering which will be tonight or tomorrow morning. Thanks for sticking around pop_rocks!

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
no, thank you, friend!
im supprised there arent more people chiming in but whatevehs, im here wiht you,man
yeah sometimes the bugs come in the bags of soil
do you aehv anplace really hot you can put it?
like (and this sounds weird) but maybe put your bag of soil in your car over a long weekend
the heat will sterilize the soil and kill any nasties it might hld
anotehr hting would be to place a clear plastic tarp over the bag and try your best to seal the edges creatig a little green house
what were looking for here is heat
after a few days in the sun, the internal temp of the soil is baking hot
your idea of holding off until later is alsoa good idea
colder weather brings less bugs and lower temps
its win-win!

i know it sucks to get parisites but unless oyu are adhering to clean-room like conditions, its bound to happen
( for me its the dog who loves to follow me, one day i even caught her napping in one of the tent!)
it happens to almost everyone, no biggie
you deal wiht it and hope for the best

keep it up brother, you are close to the end!

Fiddynut

no, thank you, friend!
im supprised there arent more people chiming in but whatevehs, im here wiht you,man
yeah sometimes the bugs come in the bags of soil
do you aehv anplace really hot you can put it?
like (and this sounds weird) but maybe put your bag of soil in your car over a long weekend
the heat will sterilize the soil and kill any nasties it might hld
anotehr hting would be to place a clear plastic tarp over the bag and try your best to seal the edges creatig a little green house
what were looking for here is heat
after a few days in the sun, the internal temp of the soil is baking hot
your idea of holding off until later is alsoa good idea
colder weather brings less bugs and lower temps
its win-win!

i know it sucks to get parisites but unless oyu are adhering to clean-room like conditions, its bound to happen
( for me its the dog who loves to follow me, one day i even caught her napping in one of the tent!)
it happens to almost everyone, no biggie
you deal wiht it and hope for the best

keep it up brother, you are close to the end!
Great points pop_rocks! I had read that some people have has success with killing bugs buy submerging pots in 130 deg water for 20 min so getting the full bag of soil that temp should kill the bugs. I will try the car method first since I don't drive during the summer it can sit in there and bake for a couple weeks. I also have a 55 gal drum smoker that could hold just about any temp for at least 12-18 hours. I will do this to all soil I buy from now on.

I am also a dog person and my dog loves to run in the woods and through fields and bring bugs into the house with him. He follows me everywhere also but not in the basement where my tents are, in fact he won't go down there ever since he got sprayed by a skunk a couple times last summer and we had to drag him down for a bath. Dogs are the best though and I usually prefer them to most people.

The girls got water and some budswel, kelp, and a little earth juice this morning. They went 3 days and aren't quite as thirsty as last couple weeks. They look ok and I expect the leaves to be fading at this point in there cycle. I'm thinking that they might take a little longer to finish because of the bugs, stress, ect. Most trichomes still clear so no where near done yet. Will keep loving them and watching them.

I have a busy end of week and a 12 hour day on sat so probably no updates until Sunday morning. Here are a couple pics I took this morning.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
hahha that smoker has better uses my man!
but like maybe when you get new soil place it in the sun under a tarp or just leave it in the car if you wont be using it and let it bake
/dude i hope this dosent sound too weird, but why dont you drive during the summer?

pets are probably one of the most common vectors for inects for teh home grower
but no matter how they occur, you just learn from it and do what you can
its jsut part of growing
/check out my album friend, and you can see a pic of my dog

so you are geting so close the the harvest!
prob want to cut the nutes in a the next week or so
/next time you can snap some pics, could you get some nice close up shots of teh buds?

rihgt on fiddynut
your goign to be smokin good this fall

Fiddynut

hahha that smoker has better uses my man!
but like maybe when you get new soil place it in the sun under a tarp or just leave it in the car if you wont be using it and let it bake
/dude i hope this dosent sound too weird, but why dont you drive during the summer?

pets are probably one of the most common vectors for inects for teh home grower
but no matter how they occur, you just learn from it and do what you can
its jsut part of growing
/check out my album friend, and you can see a pic of my dog

so you are geting so close the the harvest!
prob want to cut the nutes in a the next week or so
/next time you can snap some pics, could you get some nice close up shots of teh buds?

rihgt on fiddynut
your goign to be smokin good this fall
Update and pics 8-14-16. Gave water, some kelp, budswel, and azamax at 5ml/gal this morning. Girls are looking ok but have been a little less stinky last few days. Not seeing a lot of bud growth but it's hard to tell and seeing more new buds down on lower shoots. Not any noticeable change in trichomes since a few days ago either. They seem to be slowing down a bit.

Yep lots of room for pork butts, ribs and brisket in the drum smoker. I usually use my kamado for smoking tho, burns a lot less coal.
I only drive my car in winter when the roads are too bad to ride my motorcycles. I'm that crazy fuck you see out there riding when it's 12 degrees and light snow is falling. Here in wisconsin the winters can be long but I ride whenever I can.
Your dog looks like a nice buddy. It's great to have a rescue dog, my dog Rufus is a rescue as well. I think Rufus is grate dane, lab, pointer and who knows what else. He is older but acts like a puppy as well.
As far as nutes I have not given synthetic since before I flushed a couple weeks ago. I have only given organic earth juice, kelp, and budswel. My understanding of these organics is that don't build up salts in the soil and don't need to be flushed before harvest. The plants aren't doing much growing anymore so probably don't need them anymore. Let me know what you think after looking at trichomes on finishing time and I can stop nutes if close enough to chop.
I will put the close ups and a pic of Rufus on second post.

Fiddynut

8-15-16

8-15-16

Quick update. Plants looked ok last night and this morning. I had heard that some plants can be sensitive to azamax but these don't seem to be minding it at all. Looking forward to finishing these up and learning the trimming, drying, and curing process.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
right on brother!
you have a really nice dog there,man
was he all black at one point?
i ask ebcasue i notice a patch of white at the chin
my last dog was all back but as she aged she grew this distinct patch under the chin and around the mouth
/my whiskers are getting a bit of grey too as i get older

thanks for teh close-up as well
it looks like you are getting to the point where its starting to ripen
what you may notice is that the existing flower will start to swell up and the hairs will wither, then a couple days later you will see a bunch of new growth
this will go on for a couple more weeks and then the new growth will sort of slow down a lot

it wont look like there is much new growth but this is where the buds begin to swell and get "bloaty"
/the calyx will swell to two-three times their size and the buds will put ona lot of extra weight

im thinking you are just a littel bit away from harvest, my friend!
get that smoker going and get ready to hvae a bunch of great weekends to come!

Fiddynut

right on brother!
you have a really nice dog there,man
was he all black at one point?
i ask ebcasue i notice a patch of white at the chin
my last dog was all back but as she aged she grew this distinct patch under the chin and around the mouth
/my whiskers are getting a bit of grey too as i get older

thanks for teh close-up as well
it looks like you are getting to the point where its starting to ripen
what you may notice is that the existing flower will start to swell up and the hairs will wither, then a couple days later you will see a bunch of new growth
this will go on for a couple more weeks and then the new growth will sort of slow down a lot

it wont look like there is much new growth but this is where the buds begin to swell and get "bloaty"
/the calyx will swell to two-three times their size and the buds will put ona lot of extra weight

im thinking you are just a littel bit away from harvest, my friend!
get that smoker going and get ready to hvae a bunch of great weekends to come!
Good morning pop_rocks. Happy Tuesday.
Rufus is a great dog, always well behaved and respectful. I think he was all black but he had a little of the gray beard when we got him almost 3 years ago. He is getting some gray around his toes as well. I guess none of us can escape the nature of aging, myself included.
I'm looking forward to some new growth and swelling of the buds, things have been a little stagnant for a few days now. Since I look in on them a couple times a day it's a little hard to gauge how much is changing. My bro only sees them once a week and is always surprised about their growth. Glad to know they are progressing.
On a side note I was watching a YouTube lecture on organic farming and learned a ton. I don't think my plants are able to make use of these organic nutes that I have been giving last couple weeks or so. Looks like if I want to go organic I will need to create a soil that is alive with all kinds of stuff. It seems these organisms have to break down the nutes and then they feed the plant. This hour and a half vid showed me that I have a lot more to learn.
I may go back to synthetic nutes for a couple feedings since I have been starving them but only light doses.

Thanks for the kind words and advise. Probably need to water tomorrow morning so will put up another update.

Fiddynut

Update and pics

Update and pics

Quick update this morning. Plants got water and some nutes last night. Leaves are getting really pale but otherwise plants are looking good. The tops of plant are pretty stable but there is a lot of growth of the second tier buds. They are getting fatter and longer, some are 4 or 5 inches long now. There are also a bunch of new buds way down low on the plants. I didn't look at the buds with my loupe much but it looks like there are more trichomes. There starting to smell pretty dank again too.
After the azamax soil drench 3 days ago I didn't see any bugs when watering so maybe it knocked them down a bit. A few days ago there would be at least 10 or more little flying fuckers when I opened the tent. I still haven't id'd them but will be getting a close look at soil and roots during harvest.
Not much to do now but relax and let them finish. Even though I've been smoking weed for 30 years my first grow isn't happening until I'm in my mid 40's. I would never have had the patience it takes to do this when I was in my 20's or even 30's. I always wanted to and even got close to setting up a room a couple times but it would have been a disaster. I didn't have the info or commitment that I have now. This forums users have provided me with the information and inspiration to finally do something that I've always wanted to do. Thanks everyone! I hope I can learn some shit and give back to someone who needs the advice and encouragement some day!

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
hey hey brother
these are looking really nice!

rufus sounds like a great dog!
these plants are really comming along here and you will be in for a treat when they are done

the thing wiht organic growing is its mostly about preparation
start building your soil ahead of time and you will do just fine
like you said create a soil that is alive wiht all kinds of stuff
its a little harder but to some well worth the effort
could you post or pm me the link?

this is nearing the end and soon you should be able to pull down some nice smoke
notice how in your last pic some of the hairs have withered and look like they are almost swallowed by teh calyx, this is how you want most of the bud to look like when you are nearing harvest

it looks like a good time to snip a couple of the smaller popcorn nugs
and let tehm dry out to give you something to smoke while you are trimming your dank harvest!

also think of plucking some of the more yellow leaves to get them out of the way and increase light/aif flow
just give them a little tug near where they attach to the plant and they should almost fall rihgt off

right on brother!
you ahvea good outlook

Fiddynut

hey hey brother
these are looking really nice!

rufus sounds like a great dog!
these plants are really comming along here and you will be in for a treat when they are done

the thing wiht organic growing is its mostly about preparation
start building your soil ahead of time and you will do just fine
like you said create a soil that is alive wiht all kinds of stuff
its a little harder but to some well worth the effort
could you post or pm me the link?

this is nearing the end and soon you should be able to pull down some nice smoke
notice how in your last pic some of the hairs have withered and look like they are almost swallowed by teh calyx, this is how you want most of the bud to look like when you are nearing harvest

it looks like a good time to snip a couple of the smaller popcorn nugs
and let tehm dry out to give you something to smoke while you are trimming your dank harvest!

also think of plucking some of the more yellow leaves to get them out of the way and increase light/aif flow
just give them a little tug near where they attach to the plant and they should almost fall rihgt off

right on brother!
you ahvea good outlook
Yep just need to let these lady's finish up. It's great that this grow is going so well. When I started this I didn't expect to get much of anything except experience from my first try. I have learned a lot and have much more to learn yet. One thing that I didn't learn much about in my pre-grow research was about soil microbiology. Most of the grow logs and tutorials were using synthetic nutes and I thought I could just sub organics. Here is a link to a YouTube lecture that gave me a bit more of an understanding of how organics work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2H60ritjag
I'll be watching the calyx and hairs and also trichomes. I will be giving them mostly water from now on. I'm hoping that they will be done in a couple weeks. My birthday is early September so that would be a good gift. Next update should be Saturday night or Sunday.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
well you are def gaining some good experience
keep it up and like you said, always try and pay it foreward
soon i will be asking you for help friend

ill check that lecture, it sounds interesting
my mom is a master gardener, as recognized by our local botanical society
while she is not into pot she loves growing and is all about whole organic methods
i help myself to her compost every chance i get!!

i wishing you a happy birthday now!
sept is a great month ( second to only may) for the coolest peeps who were born in it

i like to hold off for at least 6 wks before really dipping into a fresh harvest, but while you are trimming, set aside some of the popcorn to smoke while you wait and let the choice pieces getr a proper cure

big pat on teh back to you brother
cant wait to hear how she smokes

Fiddynut

well you are def gaining some good experience
keep it up and like you said, always try and pay it foreward
soon i will be asking you for help friend

ill check that lecture, it sounds interesting
my mom is a master gardener, as recognized by our local botanical society
while she is not into pot she loves growing and is all about whole organic methods
i help myself to her compost every chance i get!!

i wishing you a happy birthday now!
sept is a great month ( second to only may) for the coolest peeps who were born in it

i like to hold off for at least 6 wks before really dipping into a fresh harvest, but while you are trimming, set aside some of the popcorn to smoke while you wait and let the choice pieces getr a proper cure

big pat on teh back to you brother
cant wait to hear how she smokes
Thanks pop_rocks! I enjoy helping people and sharing knowledge.
There are a lot of organic farms in the western part of my state and I feel like I should learn more about sustainable farming practices. The way she explains it in the lecture if you get it right there should be no worrying about nutes or pests. So now I have to read up on how to start composting. I have the space just need to get educated. That said I'm not sure it will be up and running for my next grow so I may have to use the synthetics. It's nice your mom can give you some great advise and has a good source of compost.
I plan on doing my drying in my grow tent. The humidity is about 50% so I hope that's good. I have a bunch of quart sized large lid canning jars to cure in.
Thanks, as always for advise and encouragement.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
i like the canning jars myself
i even got some purple glass ones that mrs chicky loves!!
/added bonus the darker glass keeps out light

they sell composting containers or you can jsut use a large plastic garbage bin
i jsut have a big hole in the yard but thats for the veggies/ outside use
if you are really going to go all out also consider getting some worms to add to really jump start the break down of the organic matter

Fiddynut

i like the canning jars myself
i even got some purple glass ones that mrs chicky loves!!
/added bonus the darker glass keeps out light

they sell composting containers or you can jsut use a large plastic garbage bin
i jsut have a big hole in the yard but thats for the veggies/ outside use
if you are really going to go all out also consider getting some worms to add to really jump start the break down of the organic matter
I couldn't find the purple ones but have seen them at a buddies house. I did find some dark green wide mouth jars that I just had to have.

I defiantly have room for a compost pit or bin but I have to learn some more about the process. It's a frozen land here for about 3-4 months of the year and I have to see how people keep their worms alive in the winter. Going to do some searching and YouTube vids A.S.A.I.P (as soon as I puff).

Fiddynut

Update and pics

Update and pics

Gave the lady's some water and budswel last night and took a few pics. Not sure if the budswel is doing anything for them nutrient wise but it's suppose to give them great flavor so why not. The buds are defiantly fattening on top and still getting longer on the second tier and below. They have a pretty good stink to them again and I can't wait to give them a try. I started this thread mid flower so let's review timeline. After a soak in water overnight I put these seeds in soil in solo cups on May 18. They were all up by the evening of May 20. They vegged under 600w mh on 18/6 light schedule. On June 24 I switched to 12/12 but left mh bulb in for 10 days then swapped in the hps bulb.
Of the three one was a faster grower than the others. I call her #1. I had to top her a couple weeks into flower because she was getting to be several inches taller and was going to outgrow my tent hight. That is why she has the bunny ears cola on her. It slowed her down and now she is exactly the same hight as the one I call #2 at 37". The third one is just a little shorter at 35" and you guessed it, I call her #3.
Some pics of them in their tent.

Now some pics of #1. She is just bigger all around than the others. Some of her second level buds are 7" long and look really good. Decently faster growth rate and first to start showing buds.

Fiddynut

Now on to #2. She and #3 were very similar in hight and shape through veg and the stretch. At some point she must have gotten more light because she is now taller than her sister.

Fiddynut

#3 is smallest but has the longest cola of the bunch.

She has the most buds on the main stem and lots of second level buds too.

Latest posts

Latest posts