What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Golden Tiger

Sparkus_Maximus

She is loving the mild, dry autumn in NZ. Another 2-3 weeks I guess? Does she present more on the Malawi or Thai side?
Wow, those look spectacular friend! They seem to Love their outdoor environment in NZ for sure. My single small G.T. was finally harvested at around 14- weeks or so, after going on 10/14 for the last month under a 6500K LED indoors, to prevent her from re-vegging under the outdoor Spring conditions. She's hanging at the moment, and will get a good long cure before I get to finally try her out. Pretty excited, please do let us know how yours turned out -

jeezooz

@SM - this has been a great outdoor growing season in NZ. The main challenge where I live is bud rot but we had very little rain since late March.

Actually, what you saw in the pics is only the bottom part of the plant and maybe one half of the volume. It will be clearer from these two pics that the top was lost (to a progressive branch die-off). What is left is 2.5m tall and yielding heavy.

Already a good smoke, but with more sun and balmy temps on the way she may end up fire. I also have another GT at a different site, identical pheno but much smaller - the huge one in the pics is growing on a wet site.

Attachments

• 20240414_100704.jpg
    20240414_100704.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 54
  • 20240414_100237.jpg
    20240414_100237.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 54
Last edited:

Sparkus_Maximus

@SM - this has been a great outdoor growing season in NZ. The main challenge where I live is bud rot but we had very little rain since late March.

Actually what you saw in the pics is only the bottom part of tha plant and maybe one half of the volume. It will be clearer from these two pics that the top was lost (to a progressive branch die-off). What is left is 2.5m tall and yielding heavy.

Already a good smoke, but with more sun and balmy temps on the way she may end up fire. I also have another GT at a different site, identical pheno but much smaller - the huge one in the pics is on a wet site.
My Goodness, those look nice. I tried running one female outdoors here in 37N and I eventually had to stuff her inside under an LED due to Spring time starting all over again, in an effort to try to get her to come close to finishing. I wish I had your outdoor space and climate bro- Kudos Friend! Mine flowered for about 14- weeks and still looked like she had about 2 more to go, but I finally had to chop her due to an upcoming family-visit. Still, she developed Nice resin and the main colas withered most of their pistils, so now she is going to get a Long -Cure before a much-awaited sampling session. Did you try any of your phenotypes so far? How is the smoke??

Sparkus_Maximus

Here is my little lady finishing indoors under a single 200w 6500K LED flood lamp. I know it's nothing like the outdoors, but I am happy I finally got her close to mature. Sorry for the double-post :

Last edited:

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
She is loving the mild, dry autumn in NZ. Another 2-3 weeks I guess? Does she present more on the Malawi or Thai side?

She's certainly ripening beautifully @jeezooz She is certainly showing Thai Koh Chang influence in leaf shape and flower distribution, while the density and resinousness of the buds lean more towards Malawi. How's her terpene profile developing? From the bud pics, it looks like the lower buds are about 2 weeks from harvest, while the upper colas might need another week or so.

Congrats for company her to the end so wonderfully @Sparkus_Maximus

Sparkus_Maximus

She's certainly ripening beautifully @jeezooz She is certainly showing Thai Koh Chang influence in leaf shape and flower distribution, while the density and resinousness of the buds lean more towards Malawi. How's her terpene profile developing? From the bud pics, it looks like the lower buds are about 2 weeks from harvest, while the upper colas might need another week or so.

Congrats for company her to the end so wonderfully @Sparkus_Maximus
Thank you Dubi, and honestly other than the Long flowering time she was easier to run than I had anticipated after knowing that I will most likely have to move her indoors. With that in mind, her buds ended up more compact than I had expected. Judging by the way she looks, is it safe to assume that she is likely the Thai leaning phenotype? What would be the main difference between the Malawi / Thai effects, would you say?

Last edited:

Sparkus_Maximus

Hello everybody! After growing Malawi last year (which I liked very much), I have decided to try Golden Tiger this year. So here we are at 30 days old. Gonna change the light cycle to 12/12 in a week or 10 days. I'll post updates here every couple of weeks or so.

Looking very Nice, Was the Malawi a functional ''get stuff done'' type of effect? I'm curious, what did you like best about it?

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Thank you Dubi, and honestly other than the Long flowering time she was easier to run than I had anticipated after knowing that I will most likely have to get move her indoors. with that in mind, her buds on ended up more compact than I had expected. Judging by the way she looks, is it safe to assume that she is likely the Thai leaning phenotype? What would be the main difference between the Malawi / Thai effects, would you say?

How is the terpene profile @Sparkus_Maximus ? Terpenes and effects will provide more clues about the dominance of your female.

Malawi effects have never been officially described as functional, quite the opposite. Malawi's effects is overwhelming both mentally and physically, profound, intoxicating; pure Thais are cerebral, motivational, expansive, energetic, without ceiling; combined in Golden Tiger makes the trip weed.

Sparkus_Maximus

How is the terpene profile @Sparkus_Maximus ? Terpenes and effects will provide more clues about the dominance of your female.

Malawi effects have never been officially described as functional, quite the opposite. Malawi's effects is overwhelming both mentally and physically, profound, intoxicating; pure Thais are cerebral, motivational, expansive, energetic, without ceiling; combined in Golden Tiger makes the trip weed.
Thanks Dubi, The main terpene I get in the olfactory sense is one I don't recall ever smelling before. It's a spicy black- pepper scent, but also with a smokey-note added in there somewhere. While I've had Thai hybrids a few times before, I have zero experience running or trying anything with Malawi in it. When I think back to the Thais I've tried in the past, None of them had terps resembling anything like what I'm getting off this G.T. in her (very early drying stage) thus far. Black -Peppercorns is probably the closest way I can describe her, and there is a certain '' depth'' and complexity to that smell. Just an entirely new ''nose'' in my experience, that's for sure. Given everything you just mentioned, plus my bit of personal experience with Thai hybrids, I am thinking it is likely going to be a Malawi leaning phenotype. Going to give her a long jar-cure before sampling though, and given everything I've read about the Malawi effect (from you and everyone else) I will make sure my first sampling-session will be done over a weekend when I have Nothing Important to do. 👀. I'm curious, what is Your Favorite setting or scenario where you would advocate Malawi, since it's definitely not going to be a functional effect. Maybe similar to an Indica (minus the couch lock? Very interesting and rare strain it seems. I still have more G.T. beans, maybe I will get a Thai- dominant lady in the future.
'

Last edited:

Sparkus_Maximus

Thank you. It was everything but a functional effect. It was very strong, sometime I could feel like I was in a state of trance, very relaxing and long lasting. That is how I can describe it.
Thanks amc888, That is pretty much what I am hearing from everyone, including Dubi so I will take it as a fair warning indeed. Mine has a ''smokey, black pepper'' smell that is unlike I've ever ran before. Very unique, in my 30- years of going at it, that is for sure. It will be an interesting experience, and the relaxing trance you mentioned may indeed have its' uses.

Last edited: