Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Infirmary > Get Rid of Fungus Gnats For Good Using Mosquito Dunks

Thread Title Search
Get Rid of Fungus Gnats For Good Using Mosquito Dunks Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-16-2010, 09:53 PM #41
skunktoker

skunktoker will become famous soon enoughskunktoker will become famous soon enoughskunktoker will become famous soon enough
I have always used dunks for many many years now It works great I also use the bits the bits work faster but the dunks are stronger so it seems after about 4-6 days no more gnats simple to use and works awesome......ST
skunktoker is offline Quote

Old 02-16-2010, 09:57 PM #42
TexasToker
TT Grow Home...

TexasToker has a spectacular aura aboutTexasToker has a spectacular aura aboutTexasToker has a spectacular aura aboutTexasToker has a spectacular aura aboutTexasToker has a spectacular aura about
Awesome find Lola, whodathunk? Thanks, I can get rid of the buggers without so much effort!
- George Washington
"In vino veritas"
- Plato

Kodiak's Growing 'Weed' [cannabis] Thread <-- All growers should peruse.
Google Docs - Granny StormCrow's List.

TexasToker is offline Quote

Old 02-16-2010, 10:04 PM #43
Nova2000

Nova2000 is on a distinguished road
Gardeners put a one inch chunk of potato on the compost to check for larvae. just like lifting a stone in your garden, if it's damp under the potato larvae will come to the surface. if you see no sign of life then you can say your soil is pretty clean.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaGal View Post
IMO, putting out a piece of potato is just making good breeding ground? Are the larva supposed to suck on it? or what?
Nova2000 is offline Quote

Old 02-16-2010, 10:07 PM #44
opt1c

opt1c is just really niceopt1c is just really niceopt1c is just really niceopt1c is just really niceopt1c is just really niceopt1c is just really niceopt1c is just really niceopt1c is just really niceopt1c is just really niceopt1c is just really niceopt1c is just really nice
i add gnatrol wdg to my res/watering can whenever i introduce new media into my garden with the exception of hydroton and rockwool minicubes... coco/dirt/etc all get watered with it the first time they get watered to help kill any eggs along for the ride; i follow up the second and third waterings with gnatrol as well... this is enough to kill em

for seedlings i pasteurize my coco in a 5gal bucket with boiling water poured over a good amount tied up in a paint strainer bag left to sit for 90 minutes. this sterilizes the medium; nothing is alive inside it; i only do this with coco as there is no bioherd to worry about out of the bag... nothing worse than gnat larva crawling around a 20 dollar seedling
opt1c is offline Quote

Old 02-16-2010, 10:13 PM #45
LolaGal

Thanks Ya'll!!! Glad to help. I just could not find any information on the subject when I was researching it.

This product was not intended for fungus gnats, but works great! It makes sense, since Gnatrol is the the same product, different form, and harder to use.

Just got a catalog from Planet Natural... hahaha they think I will give them more money for their dead useless predator mites.. no way.. hahaha

Old 02-16-2010, 11:37 PM #46
fishwater

fishwater will become famous soon enough
What about crushing up about ten dunks, and adding it to my LC's mix while it is "cooking"? Should work shouldnt it? The bacteria in the dunks wont harm the micro herd that is establishing itself could it??
I all ready have the little bastards everywhere... came with the MG I used last time. Now I have some Fox Farm or Black Gold EWC that have added some other crawlies to my seedlings all ready.....
fishwater is offline Quote

Old 02-17-2010, 12:24 AM #47
LolaGal

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwater View Post
What about crushing up about ten dunks, and adding it to my LC's mix while it is "cooking"? Should work shouldnt it? The bacteria in the dunks wont harm the micro herd that is establishing itself could it??
I all ready have the little bastards everywhere... came with the MG I used last time. Now I have some Fox Farm or Black Gold EWC that have added some other crawlies to my seedlings all ready.....
1/4 tsp ontop of a pot of soil is enough!

One dunk treats like a whole olympic sized swimming pool for mosquitoes... for like 3 months if I remember the directions...

don't get carried away!

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:28 AM #48
justintime420

justintime420 will become famous soon enoughjustintime420 will become famous soon enough
thanks for the info def gonna be useful

Old 02-17-2010, 12:32 AM #49
OMountainMix

OMountainMix is a jewel in the roughOMountainMix is a jewel in the roughOMountainMix is a jewel in the roughOMountainMix is a jewel in the roughOMountainMix is a jewel in the roughOMountainMix is a jewel in the roughOMountainMix is a jewel in the rough
I'm getting some of these from the hardware store tnoight or tomorrow. I have a lot of individual bucket systems, how much should I put in each reservoir?

OMountainMix is offline Quote

Old 02-17-2010, 12:35 AM #50
Tylor Durden

Tylor Durden is on a distinguished road
+1 dunks work against mosquitoes in fish ponds and old tires like a flamethrower, not sure how they will work as described however. I used them in low lying areas of my property where water would tend to sit for a couple of weeks during the rainy season, also in the rain barrels I used when I did most of my gardening outdoors. Since they breed the bacteria, I might try some in a watering can and then watering newly placed soil with it for a few days, covering the pots up with saran wrap till the bacteria can do it's job.
Tylor Durden is offline Quote