Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Infirmary > Grow Tent OutGassing / Offgassing WARNING!!

Thread Title Search
Grow Tent OutGassing / Offgassing WARNING!! Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-11-2008, 11:02 AM #11
MynameStitch
Dr. Doolittle

MynameStitch is a glorious beacon of lightMynameStitch is a glorious beacon of lightMynameStitch is a glorious beacon of lightMynameStitch is a glorious beacon of lightMynameStitch is a glorious beacon of lightMynameStitch is a glorious beacon of lightMynameStitch is a glorious beacon of lightMynameStitch is a glorious beacon of lightMynameStitch is a glorious beacon of lightMynameStitch is a glorious beacon of lightMynameStitch is a glorious beacon of light
I hope to god this gets a sticky, this thread is very good for the info on this problem. Neuro you will help a lot of peeps divert there thoughts into buying something different than these toxic huts! Hopefully they read this first though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homegrow3r
I've had a homebox XL for a few years now and not had a problem with it. First grow when it was fresh turned out 485g, healthy plants not a problem. It's the white lined version.
This problem started occurring within a 6 month period from earlier this summer, not sure what was changed, but it sounds like there supplier changed some stuff to cheapen it up as they were just fine before this issue.

Quote:
HeadyPete: Any "hydro guy" that advises you to spray anything, let alone a foul smelling, sticky oil on your buds should be bitchslapped right out of business.

Last edited by MynameStitch; 11-11-2008 at 11:04 AM..
MynameStitch is offline Quote

Old 11-11-2008, 02:47 PM #12
ChronicPow

ChronicPow is on a distinguished road
Neuro

No I have not completed a grow in this tent. I was wondering if any one else has had a definitive problem with those Grow Bright tents, and if they have I would like to get my plants out of there ASAP. So far they look good, recovering from the underfeed during transplant..... but who knows. I'll keep everyone posted on the HTG Grow Bright tents. O and by the way I purchased the tent around 10/25/08.
ChronicPow is offline Quote

Old 11-11-2008, 04:03 PM #13
neuroherb

neuroherb has a spectacular aura aboutneuroherb has a spectacular aura aboutneuroherb has a spectacular aura aboutneuroherb has a spectacular aura about
ChronicPow

If as you say it has been fine up till now albeit you have had an underfeed issue you can defnitely attribute to your own grow ten you are probably still good to go. Personally I wouldn't use any but that is at least in part to my consumer views that we won't get the makers to take notice unless we enmass refuse to accept the stories given up till now and through hitting the bottom line through not purchasing them force the industry to clean up its own mess.

Also you have to take a successful grow in its relative terms. It is possible in my tent to grow and end product plant that will have approx 20g of dry bud however when the Seed Supplier claims 400g / m2 then it puts the grow into perspective as not being successful.

The following is in no way scientific because I have not recorded any details throughout a proper test however the first lot of pictures are from a re veg of Mirre plant by Karma Genetics which fought its way through the toxic tent to provide 7g of very fine bud with nice big calyxes. I can see from previous experience in these pics is that the stems are all very thin & the roots are poorly developed. The growth on it is all new from the little pop corn buds I left. I want a mother from this plant as it has proved its strength and quality and while it is ready to take the clones I have a few other things growing which means I am short on space currently.

The second lot of pics are of my current grow of Mandala Kalichakra clones growing in the exact same tent frame but using a mylar cover instead. These have been vegged for 3 weeks and are currently 10 days in flower. You can see how much more full the plants are the stalks well developed and roots that think there in a DWC system not NFT. They have never had a single yellow leaf nevermind droping several brown ones a day. I can assure you the last grow of the same strain looked even worse than what the Mirre re veg does at present.

Last edited by neuroherb; 11-11-2008 at 09:17 PM..
neuroherb is offline Quote

Old 11-11-2008, 07:59 PM #14
Homegrow3r

Homegrow3r will become famous soon enough
No attack meant guys, what I see is definite issues with the hydrohuts, but are you all sure that the homebox has problems, I don't buy it, and with the reports on their website it seems they have thoroughly investigated the possibility.
Homegrow3r is offline Quote

Old 11-11-2008, 09:04 PM #15
neuroherb

neuroherb has a spectacular aura aboutneuroherb has a spectacular aura aboutneuroherb has a spectacular aura aboutneuroherb has a spectacular aura about
Homegrow3r

No worries, I would be tending to agree with Homebox I think they have done a fair bit to show how they are not affected and a lot of the information I have found originally comes from links they provide. I thought I had managed to put this across in the original post as I also included the link to greenpeaces pyramid on the dangers of plastics, but there is obviously some doubt by their customers or they would not have contacted them.

Personally the biggest worry IMHO is the literaly 100's of no name ones appearing on auctions as this is a way for manufacturers to dump products and cut losses.

With Homebox though they do seem agrieved with all the copies in an article they did with urbangarden.

Quote:
Everest: Fair enough, hairy muff. Well can I ask you another candid question? Were you flattered when other ... how shall I say ... very, very similar products started hitting the market?

Denis: Flattered?

Everest: (Thumbs German dictionary) ... Wurden sie geschmeichelt?

Denis: (Swears in German) F***ing hell no I was not at all “flattered” by all the copies! It all started when a Spanish customer stopped buying from me and coincidentally started selling their own complete rip-off of my design. They even copied my logo. But it was Bangkok counterfeit quality – it wasn’t lightproof – it just didn’t do the job. I was really pissed off. But what could I do? More copycats came onto the market. It’s difficult to say which were just a copy and which had tried to do their own development. Inevitably, all these copies created some price pressure.

I take a close look at some of the Homeboxes on display around the office. One is even used to store tea and coffee in the kitchen! The quality is undeniable. The seams are hand-stitched and perhaps noticing me admiring the thick, strong canvas, double laminated with black poly-ethylene and white reflective plastic, Denis re-asserts how much time and effort he has put into ensuring the strictest manufacturing quality.....

Denis: At the end of the day it’s the quality of our product and our customer service that sets us apart. Some cheap copies use PVC to line their boxes – but this is heavy stuff and it also smells under those HID lights! Over time it becomes hard and brittle. We are also continually developing our products. This is a fast moving industry and we have to make sure that our Homeboxes are compatible with the latest systems.
https://urbangardenmagazine.com/index.php?id=81

I don't see them as being that far away from being able to certify their products as meeting CE standards so why ot go all the way and use it as a marketing feature. Personally I regret penny pinching on the tent purchase and paying for it across a years worth of dead grows.

Also in the article you get a hint at the numbers of tents being sold and it is defnitely a market worth a fair bit of cash. When I purchased mine the guy had 78 listed in his auction, was sold out and unregistered from the site within a day after delivery. If it was food related PVC products in the USA it would have to meet USDA, FDA & 3A standards however obviously Homebox is PE not PVC.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:09 PM #16
Homegrow3r

Homegrow3r will become famous soon enough
So my point is if I was them I'd be a bit pissed with your original post where you as good as associate them with an off-gassing problem.
I've been a customer a while now, their service is second to none, I've had numerous reasons to contact eastside impex, they did have a problem with the original corner pieces which they put their hands up to and replaced straight away.

I find it massively unfair that you put them in a thread with the hydrohut crap.
Homegrow3r is offline Quote

Old 11-11-2008, 11:25 PM #17
neuroherb

My point on that would be they are represented fairly
Quote:
Homebox claims its products are not affected by the Offgassing because they use a different plastic product to make their tents namely Polyethylene (PE) and claim that it is PVC based tents that are affected.
The above being the first comment in relation to their product and the following below being directly after

Quote:
There full explanation along with a link to their test report can be viewed at https://www.homebox.net/dhtml/nopvc.php

This claim that PE is better than PVC seems somewhat supported by information on the Greenpeace site for alternatives to PVC.
The bit sandwiched in between being an exact copy from there own page which is linked to ensure there full statement is available.

and as commented and copied the first line of their own statement recognises they have been contacted by customers and retailers
Quote:
Lately, we have had an increasing number of customers and retailers approaching us with questions and concerns about some problems they have heard of with grow boxes.
Therfore some concerns have been raised. They have been treated very fairly IMHO and have been highlighted as those taking note of the issue. BUT at the bottom line it is for the manufacturer to prove their products are safe and fit for the purpose described not the consumer.

Should however Homebox feel they want to take issue then they can either PM me direct with proof of who they are or contact an admin and I will happily provide the details to contest any legal action.

As a long term customer you may want to direct them to the thread so they can consider your opinion for themselves.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:31 PM #18
neuroherb

By the way your own comment
Quote:
hydrohut crap
Could be considered to be defamatory against them and the continual fixation with Hydrohut as being the only brand affected directly associates them as being the only one affected and is a false comment. Many manufacturers are affected and as said the contention by Homebox is that it is only PVC based manufacturers.

As much as you may not like it because you personally have a great respect for Homebox no un provable comments have been made in the original topic post.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:39 AM #19
MynameStitch
Dr. Doolittle

MynameStitch is a glorious beacon of lightMynameStitch is a glorious beacon of lightMynameStitch is a glorious beacon of lightMynameStitch is a glorious beacon of lightMynameStitch is a glorious beacon of lightMynameStitch is a glorious beacon of lightMynameStitch is a glorious beacon of lightMynameStitch is a glorious beacon of lightMynameStitch is a glorious beacon of lightMynameStitch is a glorious beacon of lightMynameStitch is a glorious beacon of light
Home when did you purchaced your homebox? I can see people who have good ones with no problem can show they are angry, but think about the people who put all there cash in buying one that is defective?

Quote:
HeadyPete: Any "hydro guy" that advises you to spray anything, let alone a foul smelling, sticky oil on your buds should be bitchslapped right out of business.
MynameStitch is offline Quote

Old 11-12-2008, 01:55 AM #20
Fako Namo

Fako Namo is on a distinguished road
I have several Homebox XL and XXL, they all work fine. I will buy them forever now as they make the whole thing super easy. I luckily heard some chatter re the whole PVC issue before I purchased a Hydro Hut, and made the informed decision to grab the Homebox. Their are obviously people selling imitations, just google Homebox, you can see after little investigation, even simple things like variations on the sizes, and huge price differences. Unfortunately uoiu get what you pay for, and with what we do inside these little rooms of ours, isn't it worth paying a few extra bucks to a reliable vendor for a reliable product? Don't ever skimp, esp on supplies, and read, read, read, about everything before you jump. Putting all your eggs in one basket seems foolish doesn't it? Why start now, with such a valuable thing????????????????

Overgrow, peace
Fako Namo is offline Quote