What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What is left in your bowl after dabbing rosin? Is there a "rosin ash'?

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I do a lot of rosin and it has occurred to me that I may be wasting a lot.

I use a Longmada Motar Quartz vape for rosin. Basically a quartz cup with a heater.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
I place a dab about the size of B-B (maybe a little bigger) in the cup. The first hit is all flavor. Amazing taste but a lot of it is the aPinene and bCaryophyllene that vape off at lower temperatures so it burns the throat just a tiny bit.

The next hit is less flavorful but very full bodied.

A third hit basically tastes like shit.

After that, I wipe the quartz bowl with a Q-tip and then clean it (every few hits) with an alcohol swap.

Now.... my question is this. When I am done with the 3rd hit and I wipe the bowl clean with a Q-tip, there is often quite a bit of liquid left in the bowl. Often enough to completely soak the white Q-tip to black. If I go a 4th and 5th hit to use it all, it tastes like shit and it cakes on the bottom of the bowl. Then, it needs to be scraped off the bowl and then alcohol wipe cleaned.

What is the 'ash' from rosin? Is it liquid? Should I be finishing this liquid or dumping it?

I generally prefer the taste of vaping flowers but I have been vaping more and more rosin lately and I am wondering if I am throwing most of it away.

Thanks

Attachments

• 51g2Jnbb6JL._SX425_.jpg
    51g2Jnbb6JL._SX425_.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 34

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes, I get a hard buildup with my electric Ti nail using Rosin at 650F, that I periodically scrape loose, and then use a Mapp gas torch to turn the nail incandescent yellow to burn off the remainder.

Same with winterized Rosin, as well as with BHO and QWET..............

The liquid is from higher boiling point constituents, which will leave behind ash when vaporized off. Removing it with a Q tip saves cleaning it up later.

You will have no liquid left behind at higher temperatures, but above about 710F, terpenes begin to break down into other things. That is why I run my nail at 650F.

Last edited:

redlaser

Veteran
I get that buildup after vaping rosin, and would rather have it removed before the next vape because it seems to affect how efficient the next one goes.

I vape at 512, and had less of an issue at higher temps, as far as the amount left behind.

Initially did the metal brush scraping tech or a knife to scratch the brown/blackened matter off. (On a metal, probably titanium unit of course)

Then went to wet qtip for a while, then just starting adding water alone and letting it boil off.
Water boiling off is 85-95% effective, sometimes swish a qtip while it’s boiling to do a better job. Only drops the pid temp 30-40 degrees, so maybe ok as far as glass rig compatibility.
Has not damaged my inexpensive bubbler
Not as effective when rosin remains are mostly dry

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Thanks for the input, gang. I have been taking a 4th hit and vaping that last bit of liquid to an [almost] dry ash. Then, I clean it with a wipe after each dab.

It's impossible to tell what actual temp I am using with this device. I would get a nail but I am getting ready to move and selling everything and buying nothing. LOL Plus, I mostly vape flowers for the taste and the 'full entourage' and keep rosin for edibles. Just lately I have been vaping more rosin so these questions came up.

Also, I don't know how the temps on your PIDs relate to actual temperature of the rosin but from looking at this chart of evaporation temperatures, it seems that the temps you guys use above 500F seem really high. What is above 500F?

https://vaporizertemp.com/components-cannabis-terpene-boiling-points-effects/

I assume the temps in this chart pertain to flowers and not rosin?

Thanks again

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
lipids is my guess

I'd guess similar...
BUT...
What are the byproducts of these burnt waxes?
Are they potentially toxic?

My bowl has this grey/black ashy, tough, rough, stuff in the bottom that is nearly impossible to remove and doesn't seem to dissolve in water or alcohol.

What is the possibility that the "ashy substance" is becoming embedded in the quartz bowl? I'd think low...