What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Calcium source for dwc that doesn't have nitrogen

CrushnYuba

Edta contains nitrogen. Calcium chl is definitely not cool, but look at the analysis of cal mag +. Test Results have chloride They are using it for sure even if it's not on the ingredient list.

Why not just adjust your other nutrients to allow for more N in the form of calcium nitrate or iron edta. You need some N in flower. 1-2-2 npk is pretty ideal.

BongFu

Edta contains nitrogen. Calcium chl is definitely not cool, but look at the analysis of cal mag +. Test Results have chloride They are using it for sure even if it's not on the ingredient list.

Why not just adjust your other nutrients to allow for more N in the form of calcium nitrate or iron edta. You need some N in flower. 1-2-2 npk is pretty ideal.

The amount of EDTA used to chelate calcium is bugger all. N would be negligible. Not even worth considering. C₁₀H₁₆N₂O₈ = EDTA

Ca Cl, not "chl" (actually Cl- but let's not get too fussy (beware of those who talk chemistry but don't know the periodic table.... number 17) And agree somewhat re Cl in hydroponic solutions.

Calcium acetate it is then :woohoo:

And

CrushnYuba

Bongfu: "beware of those who talk chemistry but don't know the periodic table.... number 17)"
That comes off as a little rude. I had no idea i was talking chemistry. I'm a ganja grower, not a chemist. Highschool was 20 years ago, and for the last 20 years the only job i have had is growing ganja.

I didn't suggest the amount of N in Calcium edta was a problem. I only wanted to know why the OP couldn't adjust to deal with a little N. People being scared of a little N in flower is silly. And how much CA do you even need in flower? To much just binds phosphate. The amount needed shouldn't bring so much N that it can't be adjusted for. Seems to me that Plants like their calcium with N.

BongFu

Bongfu: "beware of those who talk chemistry but don't know the periodic table.... number 17)"
That comes off as a little rude. I had no idea i was talking chemistry. I'm a ganja grower, not a chemist. Highschool was 20 years ago, and for the last 20 years the only job i have had is growing ganja.

I didn't suggest the amount of N in Calcium edta was a problem. I only wanted to know why the OP couldn't adjust to deal with a little N. People being scared of a little N in flower is silly. And how much CA do you even need in flower? To much just binds phosphate. The amount needed shouldn't bring so much N that it can't be adjusted for. Seems to me that Plants like their calcium with N.

Sorry if that came across as rude. I was having a chuckle because for what started off as a simple question it sure did get weird on this thread. The question was what is a source of Ca without N?

Shag I don't use Ca Acetate in my solution. I was answering the original question. However you could use a lot because it is very water soluble.

BillFarthing

Veteran
If you were looking for a commercial cal-mag with no N, Growmore Mendocino flowering cal-mag might be an option. I believe it uses calcium acetate, glycerophosphate, and gluconate and magnesium acetate. I think it is similar to the cal-mag that Heavy 16 is going to be putting out soon.

Wow I just dissolved almost 2 grams in 2 gallons of 300 PPM Nutrient Solution -- of Calcium Sulphate, it took a couple of vigorous stirs! And immediately my PPM meter registered it exactly as per This Article: Which seemed strange because would the Sulfur also register as Dissolved Solids on my meter? 2 Grams of Calcium Sulphate Dihydrate brought my 300 PPM of Master Blend Cannabis Flowering Nutrient up to a total of 420 PPM on a .5 Conversion scale e.c. dude... Article says 1 gram per gallon water gives about 60 PPM Calcium. Anyone: Does Sulfur register as TDS?
`

GF-Z

I would rather use calcium acetate, calcium citrate or calcium nitrate. Because other forms are not bio available or tend to bind to phosphorous and create water insoluble forms and they basically become salt residue on bottom of your bucket. Thats why nitrates are being used most commonly together with mineral nutes in hydro..