What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

YOGURT CUP CHALLENGE

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lemongrove

Very interesting Double O. I can't wait to see it. I followed your link and I was fascinated to learn that there are so many varieties of hemp. Thanks for the info.

L

lemongrove

I just read about Finola and I was surprised to read that it was bred by ICMag's very own Sam the Skunkman. It also said that it may contain thc/cdb that are above legal limits. Cool!

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
I just read about Finola and I was surprised to read that it was bred by ICMag's very own Sam the Skunkman. It also said that it may contain thc/cdb that are above legal limits. Cool!
Me too!
The thing with high THC seems to be 'resolved' because Finola got EU-wide approval ;( .

L

lemongrove

I think in an ornamental "high THC" would be a little over 1%thc. Not really high but over the legal limit for an ornamental or hemp plant. Is that the right standard OO? I think I read that somewhere.

Only Ornamental

Veteran
Currently, the EU limit for approval is 0.2% dry weight and usually applies also to cannabis for recreational use (I thought it was 0.3% a few years back; but anyway, it's country dependent). Only Swiss law allows possession of material up to 1% including any hemp/cannabis plant for non-commercial and non-food/fodder purpose (although the only hemp variety in Switzerland approved for agricultural farming is Fédora 17). Many old (but nearly entirely extinct) Swiss landraces and cultivars were up to 4% or even higher due to absence of low THC breeding (until ~2000 any cannabis not intended as drug was allowed, THC or not). Therefore, the BT genotype was quite common whereas 'high THC' cultivars from other countries are BD homozygous (i.e. CBD chemotype) and therefore can't have more than ~1% THC. This 1% corresponds to about 1:10 of the CBD concentration. Remember: THC and CBD synthases aren't 100% selective enzymes and produce roughly 10% of the other compound as 'by-product'.

Maybe we should discuss these things in the 'Hemp Seed Hub' or the 'Where to Buy Finola' thread (BTW most of what I said is already covered there :) )?

L

lemongrove

Thanks for the info. OO. I'm really not all that interested in regular hemp to get into it in that much detail but was just generally curious. I'm much more interested in cannabis that gets you high. Good luck with the yogi grow.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Currently, the EU limit for approval is 0.2% dry weight and usually applies also to cannabis for recreational use (I thought it was 0.3% a few years back; but anyway, it's country dependent). Only Swiss law allows possession of material up to 1% including any hemp/cannabis plant for non-commercial and non-food/fodder purpose (although the only hemp variety in Switzerland approved for agricultural farming is Fédora 17). Many old (but nearly entirely extinct) Swiss landraces and cultivars were up to 4% or even higher due to absence of low THC breeding (until ~2000 any cannabis not intended as drug was allowed, THC or not). Therefore, the BT genotype was quite common whereas 'high THC' cultivars from other countries are BD homozygous (i.e. CBD chemotype) and therefore can't have more than ~1% THC. This 1% corresponds to about 1:10 of the CBD concentration. Remember: THC and CBD synthases aren't 100% selective enzymes and produce roughly 10% of the other compound as 'by-product'.

Maybe we should discuss these things in the 'Hemp Seed Hub' or the 'Where to Buy Finola' thread (BTW most of what I said is already covered there :) )?

:yeahthats
:thanks:
:respect:

thanks for sharing that OO!, very cool info....
so leme get this straight (im stoned, or slow, or both); you are growing the hemp strain "finola" bred by sam the skunk man in yogi cups?
and you have already encountered some intersex/herm traits in it? which may or may not matter if it's grown for oil/fiber, right? do u know if those traits are typical in the finola seed stock?

im very happy you have chosen to participate using these seeds and your lil grow pot w a straw contraption, also very happy to have these conversations and information provided here because it is definitely topical to your yogi cup grow.
bigups OO, looking forward to what's to come.....

Only Ornamental

Veteran
you are growing the hemp strain "finola" bred by sam the skunk man in yogi cups?
and you have already encountered some intersex/herm traits in it? which may or may not matter if it's grown for oil/fiber, right? do u know if those traits are typical in the finola seed stock?
You got it right!
Well, that bizarre thingie may not be called an intersex; it's just the first flowers going bonkers, the others are normal male flowers... but I do have another one (not for the cup) which is a herm. This is rather unusual for Finola but may be caused by too small cups, very unfavourable growing conditions in that batch and too high temperatures. Finola starts growing/germinating at about 10°C at day. In its Northern habitat it only gets over 20°C in summer. I currently have some outdoors in a tiny greenhouse since early February and they grow nicely even after two nights below freezing (but have about the same size than their younger indoor siblings). Although, unlike the 'warm brothers' they don't flower yet.

Not sure, but I have the strong impression that most of my plants are males... strange... Hopefully I'm wrong with interpreting the early signs!

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Here's the plant:

picture.php

picture.php

Fifth node, tight spacing. The two other seedlings I kept are easily twice as tall.
Male or female, will pass along this material.

5th

Veteran
Week 3 (from seed)

Week 3 (from seed)

Dropped n' I have the same weekly update time...nice.

picture.php

Zeus n' Apollo kicking it...new school stylz son...

Late entry....Heisenburg

picture.php
picture.php

It's a K.C. 45 AF....shhh don't tell Avi....:whistling:

Eighths-n-Aces

Veteran

getting a late start but here goes ........ 2 days old

free beans from G13. 1 gigabud, 1 blue OG and 2 blueberry gum

they are in yogurt cups ....... the beer cups just get them at the height i need without being a PITA

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ok, i am in this thing.... let me show y'all wasup in Avi's Yogi World;

picture.php

I'm doing a kind of yogi hempy style this round, with rice hulls as my bottom (for aeration) and peat as the top (moisture retention)

picture.php

seeds were popped in peat pots... retains moisture pretty dang well...

picture.php

all potted up... just rice hulls up to the hole in the side (you can see it on the 2nd plant over and the far right one also, kind of) and peat above that.

so far potted 4 of the "LG" which is most likely a bay 11 bx but COULD be a bay 11 x karens kush (med man i think?) cross.
the "UM" or unlabeled mystery seeds will be potted in yogis asap as well.

Only Ornamental

Veteran
Update: Day 20 'Faisselle'

Update: Day 20 'Faisselle'

Counting on my luck that the 4 bigger seedlings from the second batch won't all turn into males, I repotted them into the 'faisselle' cups.
Sorry, I found out too late that the cups but not the leaves are in the focus; the little ones didn't appreciate repotting and have now hanging heads and won't look nice on new pics. But it's hemp, tomorrow all will be right 'n straight again.

Attachments

• Finola Yogurt Cup Day 20 A.jpg
    Finola Yogurt Cup Day 20 A.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 31
  • Finola Yogurt Cup Day 20 B.jpg
    Finola Yogurt Cup Day 20 B.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 37

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
album.php

yogi cup group shot.... all made in the "hempy" style.

picture.php

^ this yogi needed some help...

picture.php

Only Ornamental

Veteran
@8s&æðes
Your soil looks like last years horse manure... what is it and why the hey?

@ Avi
From the look of that poor thing I'd say that you can't put your seedlings through the mangle to make them grow bigger and faster! But what do I tell you... go on and increase my chances :tongue: .
Your seedling reminds me a bit of this :) :

Attachments

• hangman.jpg
    hangman.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Eighths-n-Aces

Veteran
really. it's just cheap ass GH brick coco rehydrated and rinsed several times. most of the small particles are washed away by the time that is over. i think what you are calling "hey" is the longer corse coco fibers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts