What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Step by step bubble cloner set up (good for newb cloners)

cortez

Hey everyone! I've put together a step by step, easy to follow tutorial on how to assemble a bubble cloner and have it up and running in 15 minutes!Now go get your materials(I got everything at wal-mart) -{aquarium pump...silicone tubing for the pump...rubbermaid shoe box w/lid...7 inch bubble wand w/ suction cups...pool noodle or neoprene pipe wrap (for clone plugs)(I use backer rod)...cordless drill...1/4" drill bit...1"stepper bit or hole saw} i've used a clear tub here for illustrative purposes.use a black tub or blacken the outside with spray paint or another material.roots hate light
Lay out and drill your holes(use 1/4" drill bit first,be gentle)
Drill 1/4" hole for the tube and a vent hole on the opposite side
Next suction the bubble wand directly under where the large holes are located
Fill the container with luke warm tap water.
Fill to this level
Cut your tube to the length required and pull it through the hole
Hook your tube up to the pump.Plug it in and presto!...It needs clones now!!
Here is the wand in action.Nice gentle bubbles is what you want.
This mother needs a barber...me!!!
Here goes 4 Jack herer's
The backer rod i use is over sized for the holes. I make a cut half way through for the stem
cut the stems(scalpel)angled and so they submerge 1/2"
Load up the rest and in no time you will show roots
Like this.This is an ak-47 clone rooted in 7 days
Here's another view of optimum stem level
And another

I find the best thing to do is nothing at all.LEAVE EM ALONE. No nutes,no rooting aids, indirect light only.Don't worry about blacking out your container.There is no difference.Remember a plant's worst enemy is man!!!! p.s I transplant(to coco soil mix) when tap roots develop side shoots.. Hope this helps!!!...........Cortez

Right on time

Right on time

Big time props for posting this cortez!

I haven't been having any success with traditional cloning methods :pointlaug and was wanting to do this exact thing for my next grow, and now I know how. :woohoo: Thanks for the info. :kissass:

minds_I

Veteran
Hello,

Well done.

I would like to mention I have simillar results without the stems being submerged-just above the waterline being misted from the bubbles popping.

I would also like to mention that temperature plays a very important roll. I don't know from being to hot to root but if you don't keep it 72*F or above the root growth slowed or stopped. Least for me.

minds_I

cortez

frater indo and minds I- Thanks for the positive feedback.I'm a long time OG'er who would be in the stone age of growing if it wasn't for web sites like these.There is no such thing as too much information.I feel compelled too give back to the cause that has helped me so much on growing this plant...Anyhoooo!!I have gone through the gambit of cloning.Peat pellets, humidity domes, rockwool and trays with daily mistings... geesh what a pain!! This simple stupid system has '1' mechanically moving part(the $15 pump)If it fails ... get a new one!!.Mines been running for 3 years.Minds I,i don't think there is to much difference on water stem depth i think it is good discipline to keep them submerged because the water provides oxygen and a benificial antisceptic air block from airborne pathogens.I have had 2 clones die on me in 3 years.This is out of .... hmmm...many!. So almost 100% success on rooting.This is a low tech,cheap and highly effective tool.I have never had a problem with temps.Although an aquarium heater accessory would solve any cold temp issues....Ithink a side by side of temp controlled and not temp controlled is in order...Commin up folkes!!! oh yeah i almost forgot. Minds I.. i like a trim racing stripe muff!!!! Cortez

Last edited:
Would a submerisble fish-tank heater be of use to those of us living in cooler weather?

I was just starting out at OG when it went down. Luckily I was there long enough to learn how to build a grow box with good lighting and ventilation.

Last edited:

cortez

Hey frater! Yeah man like i say,i've never had a problem with temps,but a heater will furthermore boost your odd's to 100%(imho).I'm off too wal-mart in the morning too get a whole new kit with the heater for a side by side... should be interesting??? if dialed in with some experimentation the heater could prove to be a valuable time saving measure...People this system is basic non patented, bare-bones technology out there for anyone too improve on. But keep in mind that plants and technology follow very different time paths!

Last edited:

mtf-shaman

very nice little cloner you got there, kudos.....

i have been building 2" netpot bubble cloners and just love the ease of use

RuralRoute420

i just got my first 100% rate with bubbler from wal****.

-i use the 7 1/2watt aquarium heater from there in between my bubble wands. it keeps my water @ a nice 81'F. roots love warm water.

-i keep mine submerged, get them in 10days, i'm not sure how much this REALLY matters.

-if you have problems with not rooting, try splitting the bottom of stem, works for me.

-low light - 13 watts

Last edited:

cortez

frater:I just caught your edit...OG and IC are to blame for my 4 plant perpetual grow that i can proudly say that i grow for myself.Like a lot of us here.We grow for ourselves too bypass the draconian laws of mj prohibition.IF you are watching leo....shame on you!!! IN the minutes you have just "wasted" watching these sites you could have shut down a meth lab or caught a vicious rapist that just raped your wife!!! and maybe serve and protect like your supposed too.But no the lazy small plant grower is far too important!!!!FUCK OFF AND FILL THE JAILS WITH THE SCUM THAT DESERVES TO BE IN A PRISON!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

cortez

rr420-- If ya stick with this thread we will find out what temps are optimal for rooting.... hmmm one tub at ambient and one tub at increased temp...Lets get it on!!!!

Last edited:

cortez

Bagseed- if you dont have access to the plug materials rockwool will work just fine.fiberglass insulation will work also.roll it up the way it naturally wants to roll and trim it too size with scissors.fiberglass and rockwool are inert and since you are not using nutes or other bacterial causing agents(and daily water change) will not promote nasties.This system is very vesatille.

Last edited:

RuralRoute420

cortez - was just stating what i did to get 100%, no RW, no rooting hormones, just cutting and RO water. so our systems differ slightly. pretty new to bubbler and cloning in general. i just drilled holes and stuck them in.

QUESTION: since the clones like rooting in higher temps (above 72'F, this we know) they now have root starts, when should you drop the temps to 68'F for optimal DO uptake?

how soon do you hit them with nutes after starts appear?

Last edited:

BACKCOUNTRY

Mourning the loss of my dog......
Veteran
Great thread! I've used a OG 10K style aero-cloner for over 3 years now.

I find that a aquarium heater used with a timer is a necessity most all the time for me. Remember that optimum water temp is 75F-85F, well above room temp in most folks houses.

I've not yet seen a cloner that uses plugs in that way, great idea! My first cloner used 1/2" vinyl tubes to hold the cuts, my current one uses 1/4" tubes.

I've had good luck with the stems submerged or above the water, I prefer the former.

A few pics of mine-

Last edited:

cortez

This is an intriguing question that begs for answer.The water temp in my cloner is 70F. Ambient air temp is 72F.Now we need to find out what heat and cold thresholds the clone can withstand before expiration.an average can then be taken and tweaked plus or minus to predict almost to the day accuracy For the sake of mj and this awesome community, i will persue this quest and keep everyone posted.

cortez

Just a question for you hydro pros.How long will a cutting survive if you were to let her go in this cloner without food?

minds_I

Veteran
Hello all,

Cortez (the killer), it will prove benificial to us all the results of yoru experiement.

I have no plants ready to clone as of yet. I had to close down due to what I thought was a mite infestation. I am starting over. I have two clones of Mazar and three severely abused seedlling about 4 weeks old that are growth retarded. They seem to be coming around now and I am looking for a growth spurt.

oh, me and the missus both lick it smooth.:)

minds_I

cortez

Hey minds I,...A manicured lawn is alot better than a hellish backlot of jungle flora!!!If you have any type of pest infestation get some vapona pest strips.you will create an insect genocide within 48 hrs.This is what farmers use in their barns for flies.It disperses a chemical called dichlorvis which disrupts any insect in it's vapour.safe for humans and pets if not ingested.I hang 1 strip in my veg room and 1 in my flower room.I had a thrip infestation and fungus nats.I installed the strips and in 48 hrs i had insect corpses all over the floor... a joyous site!!!

Latest posts

Latest posts