What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Guerrilla irrigation thread: Automatic systems, selfwatering planters and more!

rod58

good thread bc ...annual rainfall here is about 16in and thats mostly winter fall so irrigation is a must especially if quantity is the outcome ..i use two 1000ltr shuttles , one i drag into the bush somewhere along a remote and rarely used track ... about 50-100 yards in and from that i have a small solar panel that will trickle charge a battery that runs a 12v pressure pump , filter and timer ....from there i run three quarter poly pipe another 50yards to the grow and then micro sprinklers ...i use bags half dug in the ground and that will see 10 good plants right for about 30 - 50 days ....real hot weather , and i mean 45 celsius , and when they'er a bit more advanced it can be less ..fill up is usually done at midnight with the other shuttle...now it doesn't seem far in but this is remote country and even over the years i've done this , sometimes its been very close to a town and i've found that people are lazy , thieves i mean , and the chance that they will stop at that exact place and walk in are very remote...works for me ....

J.V

ICMag Donor
Hey Rod.....got one of those 1000 litre tanks aswell, but I'm currently using it just as a reservoir to dunk 20 litre drums into and water by hand......I like running with an auto setup better....At the moment it's a matter of circumstances.....To make a long stort short, I've got a feeling that spot is going to get ripped when the plants chunk up...Just heard a whisper in the wind is all....Time will tell....So I can't be bothered to setup the poly and drippers.

rod58

haaa, well that sucks jv , not knowing ...but auto works great , just don't skimp on quality ..eg .pump and timer cos a lot can happen in 30 days and not all good ..... but same as any business , spend money to make it .. wish you luck ...

hello back country i hope you are well. i noticed your last reply was 2009 and since then people been posting all the way till 2015 but no one seems to notice that BACK COUNTRY has not eturned since a LOOONG time. i hope he is well. does any one know whats up with him??

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I use a solar fountain pump with aquarium tubing. I add a debris cage for the pump, a timer, and throw the pump in the creek. Done.

i have been preping a plot thats 10 meters away from a small year round stream. i will be putting a hose in the stream up hill with a 6 foot rise. the other end of the hose to my plot for watering. now this is my dilemna. either i can put a watering timer on the hose and have proper wet dry cycle OR i can do another idea:

1 make 2 raised rows in the plot. raised a minimum of 1 foot high.

2 lay down a strip of hose in between each raised row.

3 poke many many VERY SMALL holes down the entire lenght of the hoses

4 wrap thes pin pricked hoses in many tight layers of nylon fabric. fasten fabric in place with ties or rope or string or wat ever is on hand.

5 burry each hose in the small ravine between the raised beds

6 connect each hose to the main line that is connected to the stream

The idea is to make a gorilla water collar but instead of a bottle feeding the collar, i want the stream to feed the collar. i understand that the collar with a bottle will only release water when the soil begins to dry out. i am guessing that the same ting can be achieved by making the holes in the burried pipe VERY SMALL AND NUMEROUSE. then the nylon fabric should help to slow down the flow. then soil compacted around the hose shouls also help to regulate this flow

if the water source were to be much higher in elevation then i could imagine that it would creat a good pressue and that would maybe make the water flow out of the holes too quick. so normally if there is a very small pressure in the pipe the water should flow slowly.

then there is the raised bed. the pipe is burried 6 inches below surface of the space between the rows. thus the stem of the plant would be about 1 foot above the part of the ground recieving the constant water. thus even if the idea didnt work as planned, and the water flows too fast thus saturating the soil beyond acceptable, well then the plants are raised above this muddy area and should in theory have no problem

i really hope to get as much feed back as possible oin this idea. i think that if posssible this could be a easy way to water a set and forget patch

patiently waiting for all you super-smart boys and gals to tell me what you think

take care

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I'd put a simple lever water valve to regulate the flow, in combination with a battery operated timer. Make sure you have a filter to catch debris from your water source. Build a little cube out of chicken wire or hardware cloth and wrap it in a filter you get from taking apart a cheap furnace air filter and put it on the water intake.

[YOUTUBEIF]tEvITcm3u1U[/YOUTUBEIF]

Luiggi

Hi all,

I have been reading this thread as much others regarding watering techniques.

Actually I did already use a low pressure drip irrigation system at some spot I used to grow at, however it's been a while since I did and I don't remember some details that would love to remember now.

This is regarding the amount of water a plant would need every other month. The thing is that I am thinking in to grow three to four plants at a guerrilla spot I have recently scouted. I would like to know if you think it could be enough to use 2 barrels of 70l / 18 gal aprox to water those three plants along two months, because the place is a bit risky (cause it is near to a family house) and I would like to visit it as little as possible so I thought into visit it once every other month.

My plan is either to connect those two barrels within each other and to only take a hose out of one of them, or to take them separately each of them watering two plants connected with its own programmer and hose.

The only thing I remember from when we did use the irrigation is that we did grow 5 plants and we used one of those barrels to water which we used to refill once every two or three weeks. Plants were happy at that spot and with that amount of water but whenever we went there the barrel was found empty, so not sure if the last watering had been a week ago or just the day before.

As I said I am wondering how much water would I need to drip per plant every two months. Do any of you have any mean on it? How many litters/galls do you think a plant might need for two months during toughest months?

Thanks,

Luiggi

hamstring

Veteran
Wow its been awhile since Back Country's thread was alive. Very nice to see it back. He was or is (haven't seen him around) a good guy. Back Country was from CO I think and he had very arid conditions.

I was wondering what your climate is like?

I went away from any watering techniques years ago because my climate doesn't force me to water my plants. There are many products out there to help you through the dry times. Of course if you are in sandy soil or arid conditions that doesn't hold true. Not trying to hijack your thread just throwing other ideas at you that may help you find a solution.

Luiggi

Hi @hamstring ,

Thanks for replying and sorry for the delay in replying.

My climate is not very wet but not too dry, it is rainy during fall and spring but very hot (32-40°C) during summer and not really rainy. When we did grow with watering tanks they seemed happy and I did never see them thirsty, actually always thought they would had just need water after transplant (40 cm tall or so) and a good watering 15 days later but my buddies were not so convinced as I was so we kept watering every two or three weeks.

My idea was to not having to water that frequently but every other month or so. I think with a water tank bigger enough to hold the appropriate amount of water I might not need to go that frequently.

How is your climate and how do you fight against drying?

Peace

Last edited:

hamstring

Veteran
Luiggi
I live in the midwest ,IL. My climate is much like yours.

Like you when I first started I watered every two weeks and used water soluble ferts. As I learned more about guerrilla growing I went to a single watering at transplant but I like your idea of a second watering 15 days later. I now use a slow release fert (osmocote) amended into the holes. Expensive, but I like the stuff and get the one that feeds up to 4 months.

Of course the size of the plant will vary depending on soil type too. I have used this method in sandier soil and the plants are smaller because the soil doesn't retain as much water. In nice black loam soil I can get 6-7 foot plants without ever using supplemental water. You can add sphagnum moss or soil moist if your need better water retention.

Just my opinion but "guerrilla growing" is all about visiting your plots as little as possible. I really don't like "trees" because large plants take more care than something in the 5ft range. Again you will hear different from different growers. I highly recommend reading Silver Backs threads if you get a chance. He was a great guerrilla grower. He liked to grow big trees one at a time in separate locations.

Latest posts

Latest posts