What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Does spectrum affect sex of plant

blAsia

I have heard a lot of people say that the ratio of M to F are increased/decreased by the light you are using (MH or HPS).

Is that true?... let's hear from the Pros who have lots of experience with this.

Appreciate it.

C

Cibin

I think there is a mention on Dutch Passion seedbank web site, that more blue light gives more females..

C.

Ganico

Veteran
Yeah, I've heard blue light does increase female ratio. But then again I've also heard you can grow weed underwater.

I asked a similar question here before, but it was to do with nitrogen and temp levels rather than light spectrum

From what Sam told me I gathered it wouldn't be possible unless the plants weren't true females or males, but rather intersex plants. (paraphrasing Sam there)

Interested to see the opinions that unfold in this thread

Kizzattack

The Dutch Passion site does indeed mention about blue spectrum increasing your male/female ratio, it also says that less light hours (18/6) as opposed to 24/0 in veg will increase females.

Well I'm not sure weather to believe it, but people I've spoken to that are following their information claim to get much more females than males, so they might be on to something.

blAsia

Thanks for the posts. I am under blue for all veg, so hopefully that will increase my chances for more Fs, last time I used HPS and my ratio was 50% - less than I have ever had.
(I flower with one 400 HPS on for 12/12 and one 400 MH on for 6 hrs in the middle. I have noticed less stretch, when using the MH with HPS--off topic note).

I would prefer that they be true females and not intersex, though.

Peace

Peace.

Last edited:
G

If that were true, then you should be able to take clones from the same plant and put some under blue, and some under HPS, and expect the blue spectrum plants to show more females than males.

Hard to believe, so lets see some evidence.

G

Using clones would be more of a scientific way to prove the theory than planting a bunch of seeds and counting the number of females. In 27 seasons of growing, I have tried many different techniques to obtain more females, and thats between 75 - 200 plants a year from seed alone.

I have used straight MH, HPS, and high blue spectrum in veg, and I have seen little difference in female yield from the same strains from seed. Thats why I suggest trying the experiment from clones off the same plant. It should prove it out if true. man

blAsia

But, if you have done it, then you should know. So, why didn't you post this information in the first post? As I said, we are looking for information, and you had some.

I don't see how you are going to turn clone into a different sex, unless stress or chemicals are involved, but that would add another variable, masking the results. But, hey, you obviously know something I don't.

I believe you could get an idea from seed rather than clones, as you suggest.

On average we expect a 50/50 ratio. If we use 5 - 10 test runs using 10 seeds per, and the MH yields 7+ Fs per test, and the HPS yields ~<4, it would suggest that spectrum does, in fact, play a role.

Last edited:
G

Well we are talking about coaxing a female trait out of a plant by subjecting it to a certain condition (light spectrum).
Assuming you can do this, then you should be able to take different parts of the same plant, and by subjecting them to different conditions (different light spectrums), with enough of a sample, you should see different results if this were true.

Lets say we take one clone off a unsexed plant and go 12/12, and find it to be male. If light spectrums can affect plant sex, then if we clone out the rest of the plant and subject them to different light spectrums, can we influence some of those clones to come out female, without stressing of course? It dosnt sound likely does it? Thats what I am saying.

I saw a thead that said you can get 95-100% female by subjecting the plant to a certain light schedule, but he did not have enough evidence/sample to back up the thread.

I am under the belief that you cant affect female rate by varying conditions without stress, but I know it is subject to debate. Thats what these forums are all about, and I still learn new things on this site. I would try this experiment but I am limited by a new grow site this year.

blAsia

Not enough seeds for me to try... and definitely not enough space. I only grow for myself, basically, so I am limited and don't want to screw around too much--time limits also.

It will be up for debate until definite proof is found, and I don't know if we could actually prove it. I wonder if female seeds would be a better choice, if one uses seeds. That way even a 25% male ratio under one spectrum would prove much more than using unk. seeds.

I still don't know about the clones though... IBL that if it has already determined sex, light wouldn't revert it... only STRESS. (I don't know).

Peace :rasta:

Last edited:

Mr.Gr33n

i use a blue spectrum Envirolite for all my seedlings and even upto the 12/12 switch

my last seeds were 7x skunk special and 7x white widow

ended up with only 3 girls outta 14. and they never saw a hps untill 2 weeks into 12/12
so go figure :|

AmishFarmer

These plants,10 of them,are Cali. Indica from sensi seeds.They are under a 400w HPS and a 400w MH.These were the only lights used from seed.The 4 under the HPS were males.The 4 under the MH were females.The two in the middle were one of each.I don't think this is a coincidence.

Kizzattack

I've had 100% males before under blue spectrum, but they were subject to heat stress.
I think that spectrum does play a part in it definitely, but heat, nutrients and other factors that cause stress also sway the plants sex.

Mr.Gr33n

so does that mean.

when seeds are started they are not male or female.
and sex is determined by enviroment?

usually for me the tall strangley plants 90% of the time turn into males
and the short bushy always seem to be girls.

some grows i get 50/50 male/female sometimes that can differ alot.

just find it hard to understand since people pay so much
money for fem seeds.

blAsia

I guess fem seeds have a Great Chance of being female, but nothing is perfect on this planet when dealing with life forms/forces.

G

Nothing has changed in my grow setup for the last 2 years. Same soil and nutes. I just went out and bought a new 1kw high blue spectrum light bulb since my old MH light had enough time on it already. I asked the guy at the hydro store what he thought about it, and his response was "MH lights were made for lighting garages, but the Sunmaster Cool Deluxe was made for growing plants".

Well that sales pitch was not the reason I bought it, but I bought it anyway for $30 more, ouch!!!!

Lets see my female ratio from these plants under this bulb. These plants are Sour Bubble and Grape Punch. These have been in my garden for the last 3 years, with a consistant 50-60% female ratio under the last MH bulb for 2 years now. If blue spectrum gives me 70-80 percent female from this grow I would be supprised, so lets see what happens. Once I finish all the transplants I will have 40 vegging under this light. The 2 gallon pots are 22 days old right now and the quart pots are over a week behind. With those plants almost impossible to get right now, 70-80% would be a pleasent supprise.

Latest posts

Latest posts