What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hps bulbs causing cancer?

Does any one have any info regarding specific bulbs and what sort of harmful rays they may give off? If any? The internet provided very limited information.
I'm using 1000w double ended hps, I know obviously they can burn you but do they emit uva/uba rays?
I had melanoma so now I'm very cautious in the sun.. most of the time while I'm in my rooms I'm fully covered while the lights are on.. long sleeves, gloves etc but do I need to go that extra step and slather on the sunscreen?

some lights put off uvb and obviously you wouldn't wanna expose your eyes or skin to that for an extended period of time. but I have never heard of anyone getting cancer from horticultural light exposure. shit the sun gives you cancer.

Medfinder

Chemon 91
Does any one have any info regarding specific bulbs and what sort of harmful rays they may give off? If any? The internet provided very limited information.
I'm using 1000w double ended hps, I know obviously they can burn you but do they emit uva/uba rays?
I had melanoma so now I'm very cautious in the sun.. most of the time while I'm in my rooms I'm fully covered while the lights are on.. long sleeves, gloves etc but do I need to go that extra step and slather on the sunscreen?

check to see if you have on ingredient labels of soaps and shampoos any COCAMIDE MEA OR DEA... it is on the known carcinogen list and when it mixes wit nitrosamines in meat products look at online sites that shown interactions with products sold over the counter that come in contact with skin.

some bulbs emit UVB do some research and limit exposure and use green incadesants when working with indoor grows

coldcanna

Veteran
Its not a bad thing to have some UV coming off a grow lamp. UV rays play a role in terpene product.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Have worked 8 hours a day, for years in greenhouses with HPS lights running.

I don't think it's a huge problem, never heard of a higher lvl of skin cancer or something in greenhouse gardeners.

On the other hand, all the light you get, helps to obtain Vitamin D and prevent depression.

Im kinda pale, like a neontube with hair. Im almost unable to see a hot weather forcast, without getting a sun burn. But working under 1K lights in an indoor grow, never gave me anything close.