What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

new to soil help please?

So im debating on super soil, or just normal soil ( I know this forum for organic so y'all will probably sway the way and thats fine, just looking for information.)

I was wanting to get for now a premixed super soil that located locally, its about 90$ for 25lbs of it ( i know making self is cheaper, but i dont have the room or ability to currently) im trying to figure out how to go about this..

I was going to buy regular seeds, but the soil says its made to support plant for anywhere between 2 months, and 3.5 months MAX worth of veg, so if the plants turn out to be male, do i just lose that soil time? should i throw the super soil out? reuse? not sure how to do this.. would this be better to use normal soil first find the sex and than go about putting into super soil once I can check sex? any help would be great... Thanks. My apologies if confusing.

also type of pots? I've used fabric for my last one, but talked with another grower i met and he uses just normal plastic pots and 10gallons at that. I was going with 5gal fabrics? I only plan on wanting them around 5ft tall.... 6ft MAX.

Limeygreen

Veteran
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=258168

Good basic super soil, dank frank shows great results and a very friendly fellow.

If you want no till, depends who you talk to but the modern mix from coot came back with decent test results, I omitted the compost he uses for leaf mold, neem for karanja the rest was good, just was low on iron which is easy to add.

Pots depends on your preference, some people like fabric especially in no till to let a better aeration in there and help prune the roots around the edges, if you're doing super soil plastic pot should be just fine, no till I would suggest fabric especially if using lots of fungus and bacteria life.

Some folks have reused super soil, recycled soil more or less they call it where they add the old soil to a mix of new soil, so depends on what you're comfortable with doing, if this is a new thing for you my advice is keep it simple and get the hang of how you like things then start playing around, keep it simple.

Easy7

Veteran
It's a personal preference. Super soil is low work during the grow. Some of us like tea. If you work a lot and only want to water, super soil is a charm. It's what I do mostly with veggies. Hardly even water outdoors with all the rain, hardly any need to feed.

Indoors I just make good soil for veg and flower plants, keeping resources simple. Then tea and top dress.

It's a personal preference. Super soil is low work during the grow. Some of us like tea. If you work a lot and only want to water, super soil is a charm. It's what I do mostly with veggies. Hardly even water outdoors with all the rain, hardly any need to feed.

Indoors I just make good soil for veg and flower plants, keeping resources simple. Then tea and top dress.

Yeah I work a lot and my first girl I ran Coco courrier and was feeding every day when I got off work and it was just exhausting I work anywhere between 60 and 70 hours a week so I thought that going super soil made take off some of that workload for me and let me spend more time with the plants checking the plants out taking care of the plants normal everyday maintenance basically..... my biggest thing is should I just grow female seeds because if I grow using regular seeds and they turn out to be males don't I lose that amount of time in the super soil like let's say it allows you to veg for 3.5 months, and I start letting the plants grow out till I'm able to take cuttings and figure out that it's a male that will put me behind the 8-ball wouldn't it.... sorry if I made that sound really confusing trying to explain it the best I can

Easy7

Veteran
My idea is have a veg tent and have a veg/flower tent. Veg plants in the veg tent until sex shows. Then kill them off or move them to another room and collect pollen. Only flower after vegging in the veg/flower tent the females. Then select your favorite or the females that perform to their intended favored purpose (like fluffy but resin flowers for bubble hash or dense flowers for flower smoking). Then keep those vegging away as they were in the veg tent, for cuttings.

It can be very simple but the whole internet complicates the hell out of it with 'desire'.

Limeygreen

Veteran
You can look into blumat drippers as well, saves more time by not needing to water each pot by hand, gives your limited time to check out your plants and any crop work you need to do.

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
You should probably ask around and see if the super soil is too hot (too much ferts) to start seedlings. You might need to mix it down to sprout the seeds. I normally start in the red Solo plastic cups, then into 1 gallon plastic pots which allows me to presex before I go into the garden or the bigger pots so I don't waste a lot of resources. After the seeds grow up into young seedlings in the cups you can start with the super soil for the next transplant and the plants will love the super soil. Also the super soil saves a lot of work for you.

Easy7

Veteran
It comes down to refining time saving skills. The thing about mechanical systems is they cost money and they can fail. When they fail, is a flooded grow room or electrical fire good?

Lot's of growers that offer advice are full time crooks. They do not work and can be with their grow 24/7/356.

Tea takes very little time. It's about timing. Top dressing is also about timing. It's possible to get great plants only feeding 3x with top dressing. An extra ounce or so isn't going to fail/pass the grow.

Easy7

Veteran
Super soil is too hot for veg plants.

Read up on slow release ferts. Like hair. Hair takes time to break down but is high in N. I get lot's of goat hair in my goat manure.

Super soil is too hot for veg plants.

Read up on slow release ferts. Like hair. Hair takes time to break down but is high in N. I get lot's of goat hair in my goat manure.

I was going woth "kind soil' its made near me and seemed very good.. It wants you to mix 1 lb of dirt per your gallon size, and rest with a mixture so that seedlinga arent directly in the super soil.

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
So it's even more than $95 after mixing? Seems like a lot. I can't argue that over time you won't appreciate the time you save without mixing ferts but I spend $100 every six months if that. I might like $95 for 60lbs, let's say...

Otherwise- I concur with some others here. That mix right off the bat might fry your seedlings. If you have something else to use until your roots are established, I'd look into that and the cheaper the better... Got any friends who can lend you a cup of sugar (read: coco;lighter ec soil mix?)

If it has a buffer on top such as roots mix wouldn't it not be as "hot"? Its 1lb SS per gallon container, rest is filler buffer on top

troutman

Seed Whore
Nothing wrong with regular soil if you feed. :tiphat:

It's worked for 1000's of years so don't overthink this or get caught up into hype soil brands. :)