What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pump question for large-ish LP Aero setup

Hey all...

I'm converting over my rooms from soil to DIY LP aeroponics using 6" Round tubes. I know its an old school style but I had wicked results with the units i built years ago. I cant keep hauling 550+ gallons of soil in and out of each room every chop.

Rooms are 30'x25'x12' with x12 Nanolux DE's per. Lights are on 5' centers, with x4 rows of x3 lights. x9 plants per light to stay within our legal plant count.

The 6" tubes I have are 14' long. Each x3 light run will have x3 tubes and a separate reservoir and pump as I run multi-strains. So obviously x4 isolated systems per room.

Using Pico style manifolds for supply lines. Waiting to size manifold pipes based on pump discharge size. Pumps in reservoirs will only have about 2' of head height to pump but over 30' of manifold to pressurize. x18 360 degree sprayers per tube, so x54 sprayers per system/pump.

I was running 1100 GPH submersibles back in the day to x36 sprayers but that was with 4' tubes.

I know a mag drive wont cut it as I cant find one over 1000 GPH. Is a sump pump my only option? I have 75 gallon reservoirs per x3 tube system. Low ambient temps in the adjacent hallway outside of the rooms that will help with the res temps, but idk if I can get away with running a sump pump 24/7 without heat issues in the res. Might have to use a cycle timer...

Anyways I know its allot of info but wondering if anyone has any input. Dont respond saying I should go to coco with drippers ffs. I'm on septic and a well system so I've learned my lesson with anything runoff/DTW already.

Thanks in advance..

-g

Spaventa

Veteran
Years ago, I converted NFT trays to aero. I ended up using bilge pumps for boats.
The heating of the res was a problem that went away when I realised aero systems don't need to run continuously. a 1 minute spray followed by 2 minutes off cycle reduces the heat proportionally.
The thing that took me longest to get right, and lots of trying, was the right misters/sprayers. Ended up with the very ones Nutriculture use in their off the shelf aero systems.

Latest posts

Latest posts