What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

onavelzy vs. Aspen - rootin tootin christmas 2017!!!

nameless

bowlbreath
Veteran
i was also under the impression aspen was going to use an aerocloner or similar to root and then put them in an air pot, since thats what she was using in her last round. i dont keep up in her thread so i dont know how her approach has changed but i do remember at the time of the agreement this was the impression i was under. but i was also approaching this contest like it was more about roots, whos methods were superior not just with cloning but cultivating root mass directly after transplant. i dont think theres much mystery behind soil vs aero as far as speed or root mass goes, especially in the early stages. that dosent seem like much of a competition to me. or wouldnt be if aspen could get it going :)

i also asked for contestants to outline their methods from the beginning, which would have fixed this situation entirely.

i know ona seems to want to give aspen multiple chances to best him but unfortunately its not his call to make. nor is it aspens. it is my responsibility to ensure a fair contest and i intend to. if both contestants wish to pm me, i will be deliberating over the next day or two. if we can get on the same page im open to a re do. otherwise this seems pretty cut and dry. i will elaborate publicly if there seems to be a need.

Aspenou812

Veteran
Have fun with that. Just send me the address where you want the winnings to go.

A misunderstanding on my part. I read your challenge to be one of comparing our air pruning approaches to getting root systems. Congrats.

Take care

Now Now... Just the biggest root system in 28 days... Im playing with the fog but the cuttings and rockwool cubes will go into the air pots....

Aspenou812

Veteran
i was also under the impression aspen was going to use an aerocloner or similar to root and then put them in an air pot, since thats what she was using in her last round. i dont keep up in her thread so i dont know how her approach has changed but i do remember at the time of the agreement this was the impression i was under. but i was also approaching this contest like it was more about roots, whos methods were superior not just with cloning but cultivating root mass directly after transplant. i dont think theres much mystery behind soil vs aero as far as speed or root mass goes, especially in the early stages. that dosent seem like much of a competition to me. or wouldnt be if aspen could get it going :)

i also asked for contestants to outline their methods from the beginning, which would have fixed this situation entirely.

i know ona seems to want to give aspen multiple chances to best him but unfortunately its not his call to make. nor is it aspens. it is my responsibility to ensure a fair contest and i intend to. if both contestants wish to pm me, i will be deliberating over the next day or two. if we can get on the same page im open to a re do. otherwise this seems pretty cut and dry. i will elaborate publicly if there seems to be a need.

The aero cloner is what i'm using and rockwool cubes... they go into airpots.... tiny airpots.... Im looking into the fogger to figure out if they will root and sustain a plant.... ROOT with a fog generator.... but i will have multiple examples.... does it really matter how i develop the roots before the coco...

catalyte

Veteran
Haha, how did i miss this showdown?!

Great thread idea Commissioner Nameless. :yes: the mag needs more side by side grows and competitions! Competition creates innovation and inspires learning.

nameless

bowlbreath
Veteran
ok guys im sorry i havent been around, i had some family stuff to deal with all week and have had no time.

i still dont see any pictures aspen...
it dosent seem to me like you are taking this very seriously.

abirdintheair

Buteo Jamaicensis
Veteran
ok guys im sorry i havent been around, i had some family stuff to deal with all week and have had no time.

shes been pretty active building her rooms out according to her thread, seems serious to me :tiphat:

onavelzy

Veteran
Best wishes Nameless

Best wishes Nameless

I hope she recovers quickly Nameless. Definitely a higher priority than anything that resides above a keyboard.

nameless

bowlbreath
Veteran
my wife is finally feeling better, thank you ona....

and as far as aspen being busy building her room out, i told her i wasnt keeping up with her thread, thats part of the reason why i made this special place. i have intentionally avoided the individual contestants threads or posts as to not be swayed by any extra unnecessary information. but i have on multiple occasions encouraged both to pm me. aspen hasnt really followed the simple guidelines for this contest and after initiating it herself and agreeing to it and the timeframe months ago, sort of just left it here. ill be honest i feel like my time has been wasted. as i said before this is/was something i intended to be serious about.

so whatever, im calling this... ona wins, aspen loses. period. aspen you owe ona the agreed upon prize, there really is no room for debate over this. you talked an awful lot of talk, but when it came down to it couldnt post the proof. so there it is folks... a pretty weak competition if you ask me.

big thanks to both participants for trusting me to make a fair and impartial judgement. i hope this dosent affect our relationships otherwise. my part in this is done, i have nothing to do with ensuring that things continue honorably from this point on... but i will say this... we (the ic community i love and have been a member of for a decade now) try to hold people to a higher standard around here... or we used to at least. we definitely keep our word though.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I stopped watching once the initial deadline was surpassed. I mean, the point of a contest deadline is to ensure participation and content in the desired time frame. The contest never really happened because of the rule issue. A default win seems fair.

dank.Frank

Aspenou812

Veteran
I finally have the space ready... Tonight ill take my cuts Ald show ya... That room was a PITA... But its done.... Ready for plants...

Aspenou812

Veteran
I say Ona wins anyway... My cuttings went to shit... But I have cloning powder from kelp for less ill try and some KLN and silica... Going to see what works best... Its not a lack of attention... a bet is a bet... I have two choices in hydro supplies.... internet and the hydro store... the only hydro store within driving distance is over an hour each way... And let's face it... lol... my life moves at a high rate of speed in every direction.... 2017 had major changes not all of them good.... Finally i'm closing in on the goals i had set for my GROW 10 Months ago.... its within sight... I didn't give up on them... I don't know how to QUIT.... And i'm sick of the constant setbacks... Perseverance is the only way i will ever reach my grow goals.... I may be dead slow but im moving in the right direction... Its the best i can do for now....

nameless

bowlbreath
Veteran
its tough to maintain a positive outlook when you get hit with setback after setback. i can vouch for that as well. one thing i have noticed about growing, there are always setbacks on the road of progress. if your not getting pushed back, youre not pushing forward. it has been a huge part of my development as a grower over the years to not only expect those setbacks, but to plan for them. look for them. that is when i truly learn and move forward as a grower... for example, when i lost the use of my left hand i had to adapt a much different approach to growing, as im sure one could imagine. it took me a couple years, but i think its safe to say i came back strong, and it certainly forced a deeper understanding of the plant we love. not only does the plant provide physical relief, it also helped me deal with a traumatic situation mentally.
anyway, little tangent... sry. its hard to, but be grateful for the setbacks aspen, it is the best opportunity for learning. and in my experience, the one true constant in growing.

Aspenou812

Veteran
its tough to maintain a positive outlook when you get hit with setback after setback. i can vouch for that as well. one thing i have noticed about growing, there are always setbacks on the road of progress. if your not getting pushed back, youre not pushing forward. it has been a huge part of my development as a grower over the years to not only expect those setbacks, but to plan for them. look for them. that is when i truly learn and move forward as a grower... for example, when i lost the use of my left hand i had to adapt a much different approach to growing, as im sure one could imagine. it took me a couple years, but i think its safe to say i came back strong, and it certainly forced a deeper understanding of the plant we love. not only does the plant provide physical relief, it also helped me deal with a traumatic situation mentally.
anyway, little tangent... sry. its hard to, but be grateful for the setbacks aspen, it is the best opportunity for learning. and in my experience, the one true constant in growing.

Ive been dealing with them.... Fighting through them.... I've spent the time learning about environments and designing a bad ass room... Its not complete but getting there.... The last month this has been my focus...
Just bad timing on my part for this contest.... But honestly getting the new space sorted out has been my priority....

Latest posts

Latest posts