What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Something wicked this way comes

Great info d9. When you read it seems obvious, but I never would have come up with those theories or conclusions on my own. I have over watering symtoms on one plant only, which is one I have packed with smaller grade perlite...

Lesson learned

Ravenboy

Do you get roots growing through to the bottom bucket with that method?

yes, sometimes lots. but no blocking. I dont mind roots in the bottom, in the liquid. i DO run a pump on a cycletimer to keep the liquid on motion 2 minutes every 30 - the pump pumps from the plant in the center of the tent back to the main res, this move fluid through the system

no root issues even with pretty hot (90 or so) degree weather. the plants LOVE it.

Desert Hydro

Veteran
doing there thing finally. the monster cropping slowed them down so bad lol. id say it added 3+ weeks onto my time. lesson learned. added a few COB light engines over four plants that werent getting hit from all sides. had a plant that was looking like shit only to find the pump had been unplugged for a week lol. oops.

i had unplugged it to test my water volume. i am hitting a quarter gallon every event and i water every two hours. sound about right?

Attachments

• MVIMG_20171211_224339.jpg
    MVIMG_20171211_224339.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 15
  • MVIMG_20171211_224352.jpg
    MVIMG_20171211_224352.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 14
  • MVIMG_20171211_224415.jpg
    MVIMG_20171211_224415.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 14

I've monster cropped due to being lazy a couple times and wondered why flower onset took so long. Never put two and three together haha

Earlmarne

Having what I believe to be magnesium deficiency. One pheno is worse off than the others.
Feeding Jack's and calnit tablespoon of Epsom per 55 g at 1.2 ec ph is staying at 5.8 put some drip clean in the mix to steer my solution ph up a couple points to help mag uptake but oh dropped back to 5.8. Last night I added cal mag til I got 1.6 ec
Foliar Epsom and or cal mag every other night.
Any insight would be much appreciated.
My humidity was like 20% up til this weekend. I got it up ranging from 55 to 70 % temp hover around 77 to 83. 1k hps 24/7 just threw a tank in there on a timer at 15 on every 2 hours for co2 .
10 seconds every 30 min on irrigation with a 4.5 air gap on all sites

Attachments

• 20171213_184541.jpg
    20171213_184541.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 11
  • 20171213_184516.jpg
    20171213_184516.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 10
  • 20171213_184457.jpg
    20171213_184457.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 10

bloyd

Veteran
20% humidity and ppk don't work. Give it a week with proper rh and things should turn around. All other parameters sound in check.

Miraculous Meds

Bloyd got u covered. 20% rh and ur gonna see k problems too. Get ur vpd in check. 80f/75% rh is about perfect with massive airflow till mid flower set, then bring it down to a more safe 50%. But ur losing more water due to transpiration, and leaving those salts behind. Screw calmag. Now u just messed up ur ratio of calcium in ur mix. If u think its nutrient deficient, up ur base feed by .1 or .2 ec to start. U have tons of mg in jacks already.

All that said with ur rh up, the new growth should look better.

Earlmarne

Bloyd got u covered. 20% rh and ur gonna see k problems too. Get ur vpd in check. 80f/75% rh is about perfect with massive airflow till mid flower set, then bring it down to a more safe 50%. But ur losing more water due to transpiration, and leaving those salts behind. Screw calmag. Now u just messed up ur ratio of calcium in ur mix. If u think its nutrient deficient, up ur base feed by .1 or .2 ec to start. U have tons of mg in jacks already.

All that said with ur rh up, the new growth should look better.
I was of the same mind. Figured my rh was putting the hurt on them.
Thing is, had my rh up since Saturday. Grown over 3 inches in that time and all new growth is showing the same coloration.
I figured I should change out solution here this weekend after screwing with it. Really just wanted to effect c change but have yet to do so

tilopa

DE lights too close to the canopy - alternative lighting?

DE lights too close to the canopy - alternative lighting?

My room is 10 x 10 with 9ft ceilings and plants are growing way too tall. I'm using the 3.5 gallon buckets on top of the 5 gallon.

DE 1000w light distance to canopy is like barely 2 foot and plants are burning.

Is there a way to fix this or do I need to invest in some other lights, like LED?

Thirdtime

You can go to 3.5g on bottom, and a shorter wider bucket on top, I found a 4g tuff stuff flex short product S4-OR (OR=orange) for about $4 locally. That will knock close to a foot off height. Shorter veg time. Then scrog. I see a lot of people recommending not using 1kw DE unless you have 10ft ceilings because you need 3ft between light and plant.

Miraculous Meds

My room is 10 x 10 with 9ft ceilings and plants are growing way too tall. I'm using the 3.5 gallon buckets on top of the 5 gallon.

DE 1000w light distance to canopy is like barely 2 foot and plants are burning.

Is there a way to fix this or do I need to invest in some other lights, like LED?

2' canopy distance is about perfect for 600's. Strain dependent you can get them even closer without problems. Can you just dim your 1ks down to 600's?

If you do go with a new light, id go with 630w cmh with phillips bulbs and cmh ballasts. You might get away with the gavita 600/750's, but for my money im going cmh right now.

Desert Hydro

Veteran
PPK finally getting dialed in! finally starting to chunk up. gonna drop the nitrogen a little bit in the next res change. still at 1.2 with jacks

i think these pictures are 11 days apart. what a difference!!
this is ethos collective Harambe, tested at 28.91% total last round

Attachments

• IMG_20171217_140951.jpg
    IMG_20171217_140951.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 12
  • MVIMG_20171215_005438.jpg
    MVIMG_20171215_005438.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 12

down2grow

hey, after making sure you don't have blockage you may just be pumping more water than the hose can pass almost passively using gravity only as the driving force.

how many plants are on one supply line? how much solution are you pumping each time.

if the water level in the plant side of the system is at the right level just before the next pulse you are ok no matter what the level is in the pump container as long as there is enough volume to insure the pump doesn't run dry.

we are running 5 secs every 30 minutes in veg and the plants are loving it.

running 20 seconds every 2 hrs in flower around the clock.

i'm experimenting right now with volume, timing, and porosity again to try to fine tune it a little.

Delta,

I'm only supplying 6 plants in a 12×15 room and supply lines are on one side and return lines are on another side of the room. Initially when I set this room up I was able to do 30 pulse feeds every 90 minutes, but one day I had a clog in the cereal container so all water levels went down to about 2" in the control reservoir, plant site bucket and feeding bucket. It never bounced back after that so I had to reduce my feedings to 15 seconds because the water levels in the feeding buckets was so low. Even with 15 second feedings the pump would run dry and some plants barely got anything. I'm assuming it's clogged because the water levels in the feeding buckets never went back to normal(5.5-6") and remained around 2". Weird thing is, the control bucket was clear and didn't have anything in there to cause it to clog. That's the reason why I used a pump thinking it was an air bubbles causing restrictions. I'm still lost at what caused this.

When you say that you're feeding 20 seconds every 2 hours around the clock, are you feeding during the dark cycle as well?

Edit: just read that you do feed 24/7 so I'll try that next round

Thanks for always helping!!

Thirdtime

What is the water level in the plant bucket? Did your float valve get bumped and changed setting? Has to be either that or a blockage
With 1/4 inch feed to the reservoir I don't use a cereal box I just put another 17g tub before the feed buckets this keeps the level on the float valve from dropping quickly and the water return is fast enough where it stays about the same. Only takes about 15 seconds to level out and the amount of water going in in that time is not more than evaporation

down2grow

What is the water level in the plant bucket? Did your float valve get bumped and changed setting? Has to be either that or a blockage
With 1/4 inch feed to the reservoir I don't use a cereal box I just put another 17g tub before the feed buckets this keeps the level on the float valve from dropping quickly and the water return is fast enough where it stays about the same. Only takes about 15 seconds to level out and the amount of water going in in that time is not more than evaporation

The plant bucket and control bucket are level at around 5.5-6". The problem I'm having are with the feeding buckets not filling up enough to feed properly. I'm harvesting tomorrow so it is what it is, but I need to figure it out for next run.

From my understanding you must have three buckets total before your feeding buckets. One mixing bucket, control bucket, then your 17g? Return lines only go back to the control bucket and not the 17g, is that right? On post #461 I had problems not using the cereal box on my first run so I had to install one and things worked out better for me. So that's why I installed one this run and I figured out what clogged it. I used PK appetite from new millenium and that stuff caused little slime balls that even clogged my 1/4" lines feeding into the control bucket. Maybe that's what clogged my Goodyear hose? I dunno, I'm still a newbie figuring things out, but I do know I'm going back to basics with my nutes, no more adding stuff!!!

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
The plant bucket and control bucket are level at around 5.5-6". The problem I'm having are with the feeding buckets not filling up enough to feed properly. I'm harvesting tomorrow so it is what it is, but I need to figure it out for next run.

From my understanding you must have three buckets total before your feeding buckets. One mixing bucket, control bucket, then your 17g? Return lines only go back to the control bucket and not the 17g, is that right? On post #461 I had problems not using the cereal box on my first run so I had to install one and things worked out better for me. So that's why I installed one this run and I figured out what clogged it. I used PK appetite from new millenium and that stuff caused little slime balls that even clogged my 1/4" lines feeding into the control bucket. Maybe that's what clogged my Goodyear hose? I dunno, I'm still a newbie figuring things out, but I do know I'm going back to basics with my nutes, no more adding stuff!!!
Change ALL 1/4" lines every grow.. I've found that 5/16" tubing fits snugly over 1/4" tube..
take a length of 5/16" tube and place it over the 1/4" tube in the rezs under water, suck and blow out those 1/4" lines of any clogs or air trapped in there..

I could easily be over thinking this but my thoughts were that the 5/8" hose created too much exchange of water between rezs' in my little system that was not keeping PPM levels (too low) where I like them (1100PPMs) in the pulse rez. D9 always killed me, sorry brother, with the cereal box 'little' hole' in the bottom. I never did get it right. I believe the little hole, is a similar diameter as the ID of 1/4" tubing, a larger hole, like larger ID diameter hose, adding too much base PPM (600) and keeping pulse rez PPMs too low (for my liking)..

NSX, if my logic is fucked up please let me know...

Speed of green

Ive got some plants in PPK's, they are 61 days into flower.

Temperature has never gotten over 85f the entire grow, night time temps are not ideal, the last few nights have been dipping to 50-55

While these plants were vegging i had some overwatering issues & stunted them pretty good, they had a 7 week veg total.

The feed throughout the grow has been jacks + calcnit, I played with the ratios during week 3-4 & this is where i think i fucked them. I cut the calcium nitrate way down during week 3-4 so my overall ratio was 2:1 jacks calcnit. My overall e.c in the volume tanks was 2.2-2.4 This is with .6 tap water.

i started to see some deficiencies and unhealthy looking plants so i started checking the plant sites and some of them had e.c 3.6+ Plants showed very minimal tip burn, but only on a couple strains.

so i drained the entire system, flushed all the pots with PH'd water and refilled @ 1.4e.c solution + .6 tap for a total e.c of 2.0

a week later everything was looking better and i thought i was out of the woods.

week 7 i cut the nutrients back to .6 solution and .6 tap for a total of 1.2ec

The PH going in to the volume tanks has always been 5.6-5.8
The PH in the plant sites has always been 5.7-6.2 even when the ec was sky high the PH was stable.

Now I have some foxtailing/odd growth on the tops of many of the flowers, a couple plants are throwing banannas too this is across 5 different strains in two different greenhouses.

There are no light leaks.

Could this have been from all the stress that these plants have already been put through? or maybe from cutting the nutrients?

I made some stupid mistakes in the beginning of this grow, for the next round i will not deviate from the jacks 3:2 ratio and i have heaters going in to keep temps above 70f so i will at least have a baseline if things start to go sideways.

Thanks in advance, i appreciate all the help & community here on ICMAG

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php