What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

OVERGROW THE JUNGLE!!!! 2016

HillMizer

Are the seedlings getting cold at night? I've gotten similar leaf deformity before and thought it was cool temps. This looks very interesting I'm going to watch how it goes.

Thanks for the responses!!!

Quick one as I am pretty busy: last night I started a new batch of like 240 seeds in hq starter mix from the store in the garage by the window [edit: 4m / 12ft of south facing windows] + 400w MH. The sick seedlings are not looking great, I will transplant them at my backup spot if they look worth it at all.

Going out looking for a spot for seed production now.
Proper update with pics soon!

Last edited:

yocs

Hopefully your seedling issue works itself out. I'm interested to see how 100 full season plants looks in the space you pictured. I don't know about purple, but you'll definitely have a jungle on your hands.

My new batch...

My new batch...

That's my new batch. It seems that the weather is going to remain cloudy for the next 10 days! :moon:
I have a 400w MH there, but it doesn't cover the entire area well. I am gonna have 4m rows of 5 cups per row, so the sunlight from the windows falls on all of the cups [the two rows from the left side of the photo are going to get moved to where the photo was taken from].

I am going to get some T8's, so my seedlings don't get etiolated again! I am thinking one bulb per 5 cup row, so 3 or 4 long fluro tubes, cold white or daylight, whatever they have in store.
Any recommendations for the T8's?

btw. I realize that the transparent cups are not optimal, but that's all I could find.

B

BAKED_BEANZ

if you can keep the room warm , also . not sure but sounds like its pretty cold in your neck of the woods atm . like you say don't let them kids stretch .

good luck sure this round will go smoothly

Long overdue update

Long overdue update

Finally I'm getting to update this thread...

The garden
I am back at it again, took 2 weeks off, had to spend some time with my girl, plus the weather was INSANE. I also injured my right hand bad, likely a cracked joint, a tree that I cut, as thick as a coke bottle, fell on my hand after I cut it. Overall, my hands and body are sooo fucked by the endless thorn pokes... BUT I AM ALMOST DONE WITH THIS SHIT! No way I am gonna stop / quit because of the hand. Got some help a few times though.

I cleared the entire site fully. I am not gonna go through it, but dudes… it was not a fucking joke… One word THORNS!
The garden measures 20m x 26m = 520 square meters / 1700 sq. feet.

First, photo from 1st page for reference:
02uX3cH.jpg

Photos from a few days ago, now it's already as clear as the moon surface, READY FOR THE ROTOTILLER TOMORROW:

After I turn the soil and make the raised beds, I will run a hose from the stream and do the drip irrigation. The main water's gonna be coming form the upper left corner, from right above of the shortest walnut trunk. And for the plants that are going to be growing on the slope that's in the back, there's gonna be a separate irrigation coming from the upper right corner, cause they're higher than the stream...

I will need some advice regarding the raised beds and spacing, please go to the bottom of the post if you feel like helping.

The first batch - the sick seedlings

I was feeling too sick in the stomach when this shit happened... It turned out that 1/3 of them were hit bad, 1/3 lightly and 1/3 are fine. So, the 1/3 that's fine was kept along with select ones from the lightly hit ones, the rest was binned.

The second batch

Whew... Frankly, this didn't go as expected either... Temperature and lighting were challenging. I tried warming up the place as suggested, it was too late though, 150 cracked out of 240~. Long story short, couldn't really keep the room warm either despite my efforts, 2kW did basically nothing as the building's unfinished.

Then lighting... I had 400w MH and they were set by huge windows, getting 4h of direct sunglight. I added two T8's. After the seedlings came up I saw the this will not be enough. Added a fuckton of LED bulbs, like 100 or so watts. Again, it seemed to me that they were going to stretch. I added 450w of halogen lamps, not perfect but still, 450w... And fuck me, they began stretching even though it felt like a near death experience in there.

In the meantime the weather was getting better, so I built a little greenhouse nursery out of old windows on my terrace. Acted as quick as possible and it seems a that I prevented bad stretch, just a few perhaps 10-15 tilted down because of the wind. Overall, they are fine.

The clones
I sunk my cuttings in willows water for a few days and afterwards I moved them to pure water that they've been in for 2 weeks now. Just today I noticed one plant that's grown roots. Some of the rest have some white stuff going on that might be roots... Can't say, never have taken clones before:

It will become clear in a few days...

Last batch
I already got impatient though, so 2 days ago I started another 100 seeds. Hopefully, it's gonna go smoother finally.

A bit late yeah, but I was counting on 80 clones too, better get more seeds going now and we'll see how the clones will turn out. Plus, the first batch should be showing preflowers by the time the third batch is ready for transplanting.

Last edited:
Spacing?

That's a map of the garden that I made. Again, it's 20m x 26m, got 90 4sq.m. patches. Every little square is one square meter.

I was considering planting 3 plants per 4 square meters and leaving 1 meter between rows. However, I realized that I am starting a bit late, so I am not sure if my plants are gonna be able to achieve their tree potential... Plus, I haven't done this before like that e.g. trying to feed the right things, top and babysit.

So, I am not sure how should I space them really. Roughly, half of my babies are kushes and the rest are sativa dom Bodhi's.

I have 80 plants from the first batch (April 25), 150 from the second (May 15) and another 100 on the way.

Tomorrow I am going there to turn the soil and likely the day after I am gonna be doing the raised beds. Any suggestions? :good:

Also, not sure how high/deep should I make the raised beds and how deep do mj roots go, can't find specific info?

Last edited:

gorilla ganja

Looking like a great start Purple Jungle.
I would not worry about the stretch on those seedlings. Plant them deep. Up to the first set of leaves when they go in the ground. They will love you for it.
New roots will form on the stem.

As far as raised beds. If the area is not prone to flooding, why bother with raised beds ?
Do you plan on bringing in soil?

Peace GG

Last edited:
The area's not prone to flooding, no. And I am not bringing soil. The local soil is great, unless someone suggests adding something essential, I am not gonna amend.

I see that everyone grows in raised beds and I assumed it is the way to go. I thought roots breathing better is crucial. Plus, tilling deep and raising the level with additional soil from the paths seems like a good idea cause there's gonna be more fluffy soil for the ladies to enjoy.

I really don't mind not doing raised beds if it's not essential :)

gorilla ganja

Why not try half with and half without raised beds and see if it makes a difference.

Roots getting plenty of oxygen is very important. But if the soil is loose and fluffy naturally and will not get flooded and turn to muck, then you should be good.
Some amendments will always help, really depends on your budget and time you want to spend working the soil. And security of the site.

Looks like you have a bunch of babies ready to go so time is important.

Cheers GG

B

BAKED_BEANZ

yeah , those seedlings look fine little stretchy . not bad though . compared to the rabbit shit episode you nailed it .

raised beds are better , even if the area,s not prone to flooding you still don't want any heavy rain them sitting in water .

ph test the soil most important thing , you can always feed as you go . as long as you regular don,t over do or under do it . keep them happy.

nice updated prep work on the spot , lots good light. vegetation around looks good too/healthy

B

BAKED_BEANZ

Spacing?

That's a map of the garden that I made. Again, it's 20m x 26m, got 90 4sq.m. patches. Every little square is one square meter.

I was considering planting 3 plants per 4 square meters and leaving 1 meter between rows. However, I realized that I am starting a bit late, so I am not sure if my plants are gonna be able to achieve their tree potential... Plus, I haven't done this before like that e.g. trying to feed the right things, top and babysit.

So, I am not sure how should I space them really. Roughly, half of my babies are kushes and the rest are sativa dom Bodhi's.

I have 80 plants from the first batch (April 25), 150 from the second (May 15) and another 100 on the way.

Tomorrow I am going there to turn the soil and likely the day after I am gonna be doing the raised beds. Any suggestions? :good:

Also, not sure how high/deep should I make the raised beds and how deep do mj roots go, can't find specific info?

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=67666&pictureid=1607724&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

depending how how late in the season you are ? i have seen plants planted later and if the conditions are right , overtake the plants in on time ( i month behind is no problem they will hit your goal ). they are a lot more flexible and robust also . looks like you may turn this around hay .

if they are going out sexed , and you have plenty of seedlings . put in double and pick the better ones after 4 weeks that you want to go with . is an idea !

Some amendments will always help, really depends on your budget and time you want to spend working the soil. And security of the site.
Keyword - budget, cause it's 500sq.m. If there's something critical that I can add, I will do it. Like if the pH is not right... Otherwise, I think local soil is fine. After I mess with it today, I will know for sure.

If netting the plants is necessary, probably that's where my money will go.
______

What hit the first batch is fungi or something, cause it also affected the cucumber plants in the greenhouse.

raised beds are better , even if the area,s not prone to flooding you still don't want any heavy rain them sitting in water

Yup, that's a major point in fact, rain might be an issue, never know! I might indeed do half and half, cause the slope, which is almost half of the spot, is pretty steep. Depending on how well tilling is going there, I might not do raised beds there and do them just where it's level.

ph test the soil most important thing , you can always feed as you go . as long as you regular don,t over do or under do it . keep them happy.
Yeah, that's the only 'fancier' thing that I plan to do. Thanks for reminding me though!! cause, honestly, I was not thinking about it.

depending how how late in the season you are ? i have seen plants planted later and if the conditions are right , overtake the plants in on time ( i month behind is no problem they will hit your goal ). they are a lot more flexible and robust also . looks like you may turn this around hay .
Not too late I'd say. I see people in Nor Cal putting clones out around 15th of June because of the day length, so that calms me down. The season here should be pretty much the same. Unless weather this year continues the weirdness into fall, October should be warm.

if they are going out sexed , and you have plenty of seedlings . put in double and pick the better ones after 4 weeks that you want to go with . is an idea !

Not going out sexed. The 80 from the first batch are 1 month old. Should be showing preflowers in a couple of weeks or so, right.
The rest are younger.

I am shooting for 300 plants (excluding clones), the site could hold ~100 girls with plenty of room. The plan was to plant 3 plants per 4 square meter patch like that:

and keep 1 of those plants. I am still leaning towards that with the 80 one month old plants.

For the rest, not sure. I might want to plant in a a way that would allow me to keep all females instead.

Also if my clones decide to root finally... that would only add to the fun :)

Going there now. New photos coming up.

No new photos as a storm was coming and I evacuated the spot asap cause my nursery top was off. Good that I did.

Working on that slope with the rototiller is a bitch. I will likely follow the terrain and try to make it into terraces. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have new footage, so you guys finally get a good idea of what my secret garden is like. :biggrin:

B

BAKED_BEANZ

you want to be checking the ph now and getting lime down , hopefully get it washed in with some rain/storms . you may not need it .

if i,m putting out unsexed i normally put 4 to a hole . leave one girl remaining . that being the best structured female left . sometimes you may get 4 males , rarely but it happens . no big deal , think you will find you,ll need the space if all go,s to plan.

hopefully you get decent rainfall during the grow season , i know you plan to hand water . but you cant beat mother nature . it will make your season if you do .not sure if you have considered a pump or if you could get away noise wise using one . make life easier .

I want to check the pH just in case, so I don't get off on the wrong foot, even though I am pretty confident that the soil is perfect. That's why I haven't done it yet (among other practical reasons). Gotta make sure though.

Yeah, initially I was gonna follow your advice regarding 4 to a hole, but I am completely out of space, the greenhouse is a no go zone, also getting low on seeds (keeping some in case something terrible happens with the current babies, gotta make ends meet at the end, be it even indoors) and I figured 3 should work too. And I was planning to do some clones too as you know! However, something doesn't seem right with these cuttings... that white stuff doesn't seem to be roots to me.

I did a test clone before I did these, it went great, but.... :comfort:

I am doing drip irrigation for the lower part, stream water will fill a a tank/barrel where I can mix food. For the upper part of the slope, I will likely just run water from the other spot where there's water (lower volume). Summer rain here is unpredictable though, sometimes it does rain, sometimes it's dry as hell.

Also need to figure out a food regimen on the cheap. Thinking alfalfa & nettles tea (not bubbled), worm tea foliar, SST's, could do chicken shit tea, molasses and willow water. Haven't looked into it much further than this yet. Also got a bag of NPK fert (that I don't like) and micro elements. Gotta finish the spot first, I am soo damn burnt out... no energy for anything else.

Quick update...

Quick update...

:tiphat:

Ended up doing raised beds as the top layer of soil's good, but under that tilled layer it's pretty hard because of the roots of the native vegetation that I removed.

Busy and TIRED as $#!^.

Pics from a few days back, already installed dripping irrigation on the ready parts.

Last edited:

klint

Veteran
Looks good PurpleJungle I See the amount of work that You put in this field. Good luck and stay safe bro!!! :)

Yeah man and it's 530sq.m. it's no joke, sometimes I get someone to help me, but it's mostly a one man job. I feel like an old grandpa, pretty much my entire body is sore, I've been working on it for AWHILE now, I am half way there though!... Will check in again once I am done transplanting, etc, will do a proper write up...

Latest posts

Latest posts