What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Talk is cheap, life is short

Backyard Farmer

Veteran
High,

I don't particularly know what kind of biological activity is available in those bagged products. Therefore I don't know what to say regarding the efficacy of making a "compost tea" with them.

Do they have an assay of the present biology and in what kind of CFUs?

It's impossible,for me to,give input because I haven't had any testing done on your scene.

I like pepzyme c, Spectrum , MycoGenesis , and biogenesis from tainio technology

grow nerd

Veteran
What'd you just call me?!

Just kidding.

I've certainly been reading about all those products in the BIG PLANTS thread, but right now I'm trying to "keep it simple" (whether you believe it or not) as possible and not introduce too many extra things I don't fully understand; I don't doubt at all that they're very useful. It allows me to better understand each component's role in a plant's life and introducing too many different sauces only complicates that understanding. IMO. So start simple, succeed, THEN add "advanced improvements" to see reactions/differences and learn again.

I'm not sure of any biology reports from them, but it does list organic ingredients, and my current understanding is organic compost + amendments + beneficial microorganisms = live soil that provides food to plants by breaking down compost/amendments.

With my use of fresh chlorinated tap water (not left in sun, bubbled, or otherwise de-chlor'd), I fear I may have sterilized the soil and is now acting as nothing more than a medium to hold and absorb water/bottled nutes.

So my thinking/plan is, de-chlorinate all water from now on, and apply bacterial tea to jumpstart the biology in the soil and allow the bacteria to break down the food ingredients.

Bottled nutes seems so much easier for simple folk like me. But an old dog is never too old to learn new tricks. Or something like that.

grow nerd

Veteran
I'm trying to shop for a pump but don't really know what to look for. There are so many different types and I'm not exactly sure what kind of ratings and specs I will need. Most of the sites will be on a slightly different elevation, as it is on a slope/hill side. I'm not sure if the DIG inline drip emitter hose is pressure compensated and all, but to ensure I get same rate of watering per site, I'm thinking of installing the 25psi regulator after each tee that feeds that site and using a pump that can provide at least that much pressure (25psi = ~58' head) and GPM. For anyone else curious of the types of pumps available, I found this Pump Types Guide page to be useful.

Trying to mess with a refractometer for a Brix reading:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=236576

Teas:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=110620

When my ADD acts up and I just can't read anymore, I switch to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dEJg0Ob5cg

Then when my ADD acts up even more and I can't handle a video, I go and pluck out the middle leaves from the light dep plants because for some reason it's satisfying knowing that you're getting a little bit more light penetration to lower buds but at the same time pained wondering if you're causing 100's of different points of stress/repair for the plant and lowered photosynthesis where it might be better off.

If you think I'm kidding, go check how many middle fingers you see on the larger fan leaves in the recent pics.

I'm a busy guy. :clock watch:

Last edited:

grow nerd

Veteran
I know this is a bone-headed question, but do purchased ladybugs "stay" in an outdoor pot garden surrounded by a ton of other trees and vegetation? My guess is that they'll be some unloyal bitches and just go whereever there's greener pastures, like maybe other plants nearby hosting tastier treats. Worst part is they don't even know they're doing wrong.

Just curious if it's a waste of money. I don't have the patience to clip off all the wings.

Wondering how bad/irresponsible it is to do an Imidacloprid Tree & Shrub dosing on all the nearby surrounding trees. And shrubs if I can find any.

Last edited:

OvergrowDaWorld

$$ ALONE $$
Veteran
I read that they leave the patch cuz they get thirsty.
If you leave them a small dish of sugar water with a drop of honey on the rim, they will stick around abit.

JointOperation

i tried this.. didnt work as good as i thought..lol.. u ever see The Fantasy Factory with Rob Dyrdek.. or watever.. its like his eagle lol.. they take off never to be seen again.. ive used them indoors with success.. but outside.. last year.. i had a plant that attracted bugs like a motherfucker.. and i was told to use lady bugs.. i went out. put them at the spot... and by the time i left the spot.. they were gone lol.,

C

caseyjones123

Am up a lil early just closed uYou do not need check valve if u have pressure compensating drip emitter tubing . I just picked up a pump from harbor frieght tools. Is a inline pump with garden hose connectors in and out.( makes things easy). The pump has all cast iron housing, and a 8 amp motor . 25 gpm. 1500gph. Can pump up 120 ft. Best part is it only cost 75.00$. Pacific hydrostar inline utility pump.
Be carful, I needed a valve befor my water wand to reduce pressure. I have a fire hose on my hands. Pump will also work for my irrigation setup. Just paid 1700 for professional irrigation system(selnoids, 6 unit timer, all the bells and whistles . Still setting it up. Waiting out microbe mulch down first. So much to do so little time..

C

caseyjones123

I'm trying to shop for a pump but don't really know what to look for. There are so many different types and I'm not exactly sure what kind of ratings and specs I will need. Most of the sites will be on a slightly different elevation, as it is on a slope/hill side. I'm not sure if the DIG inline drip emitter hose is pressure compensated and all, but to ensure I get same rate of watering per site, I'm thinking of installing the 25psi regulator after each tee that feeds that site and using a pump that can provide at least that much pressure (25psi = ~58' head) and GPM. For anyone else curious of the types of pumps available, I found this page useful:

http://www.pumpscout.com/articles-scout-guide/pump-types-guide-aid100.html

Trying to mess with a refractometer for a Brix reading:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=236576

Teas:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=110620

When my ADD acts up and I just can't read anymore, I switch to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dEJg0Ob5cg

Then when my ADD acts up even more and I can't handle a video, I go and pluck out the middle leaves from the light dep plants because for some reason it's satisfying knowing that you're getting a little bit more light penetration to lower buds but at the same time pained wondering if you're causing 100's of different points of stress/repair for the plant and lowered photosynthesis where it might be better off.

If you think I'm kidding, go check how many middle fingers you see on the larger fan leaves in the recent pics.

I'm a busy guy. :clock watch:
Am up a lil early just closed up depo, just reopen again at 8 am. anyhow You do not need check valve if u have pressure compensating drip emitter tubing . Don't waste ur money on check valves. I just picked up a pump from harbor frieght tools. Is a inline pump with garden hose connectors in and out.( makes things easy). The pump has all cast iron housing, and a 8 amp motor . 25 gpm. 1500gph. Can pump up 120 ft. Best part is it only cost 75.00$. Pacific hydrostar inline utility pump.
Be carful, I needed a valve befor my water wand to reduce pressure. I have a fire hose on my hands. Pump will also work for my irrigation setup. Just paid 1700 for professional irrigation system(selnoids, 6 unit timer, all the bells and whistles . Still setting it up. Need to get mulch down first. So much to do so little time.. Hope this helps

grow nerd

Veteran
OvergrowDaWorld & JointOperation, I figured as much. Loyalty is hard to come by these days...

caseyjones123, you made my day with the two favorite words I love hearing when in need of equipment: "Harbor Freight". My wallet thanks you.

With the money saved, I can afford to live large these days. That's right, MacSauce(tm) on the fries. And extra on the burger!

The cucumber beetles seemed to have just as good a feast. :badday:

Last edited:

grow nerd

Veteran
Not sure I agree; they didn't have any MacSauce(tm).

That stuff's so good, I almost wanted to put it in my drink to see if it would make it taste better. :yummy:

You can't lose at McDonald's.

The weight gained, that is.

grow nerd

Veteran
Nearest Steak N Shake is in Reno. Speaking of which. I highly recommend the chicken & waffles @ Hash House A Go Go (Harrah's downtown).

picture.php

grow nerd

Veteran
Raw food diets are for hippies!

Just kidding. I'm a short-haired hippie, I guess.

I eat baby carrots sometimes. Bananas from time to time. Odwalla & Naked juices count, right?

I'm not sure the sesame seeds on my last burger bun were fully toasted.

grow nerd

Veteran
Speaking of cooking.

Finally getting the bulk soil in. I'm told it's ready-to-use and hoping it won't burn or have further transplant issues.

Starting to look a lil' better.

Hoping not to go through the same shit again even though I fear I might.