What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

refractometer to measure brix

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
more accurately, the two plates do not close parallel to each other. They do not close on a 0° angle, (like the picture seems to illustrate) the outer edges come together and it is a ~20° angle.

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
well they are made for bending sheet metal. That is what they are designed for, im sure they would work.

i was trying to re-purpose them... like did my oil pan...

11258040708_016.jpg

11258040708_015.jpg

S

SeaMaiden

I thought you had purchased the purpose-made set. I just read an article in Acres magazine about raising Brix in pastures, and they happened to show a modified set of grips or pliers an awful lot like that. Apparently, squeezing a drop of juice out of fescue is more than a garlic press can handle.

OrganicBuds

Veteran
Shoot, just grap a clamp from home depot. One of the ones that wrenches down like a bench vise grip. If you had to you could just add a metal plate to press on.

Karmic Farmer

Veteran
A mortar and pestle is probably one of the best devices to use as you're actually rupturing the cell walls of the leaf or vegetation. Take the remaining pulp and squeeze it through a fine mesh screen or cheesecloth.

Peace,
KF

Y

YosemiteSam

A mortar and pestle is probably one of the best devices to use as you're actually rupturing the cell walls of the leaf or vegetation. Take the remaining pulp and squeeze it through a fine mesh screen or cheesecloth.

Peace,
KF

Have you actually tried that or is this just speculation?

Nonphixion

^ I was waiting for someone to come by and drop some truth.

I just couldn't see how it would be possible to squeeze enough juice from your plant without having to take too much off.

Then having to hack a new piece off each week to test the brix.

I think if you know your plants well enough, know your soil well enough you should be able to tell if your plants are operating at max potential.

Refractometer to me is for the farmer growing acres of veggies and is unsure about the exact mineral content of his fields or portions of his fields. If you make your own soil you should already know if your mineral content is up to snuff. And even then it can take a few years of soil regeneration to get that optimal array of broken down minerals in your soil. Minerals don't break down over night so if you are using your soil just once this whole concept is pointless.'

What if you were defoliating 10-15 fans a day, anything wrong with testing Brix level from those? I couldn't imagine so, check out my sig V comments??

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
your sig says about brix levels, then you have "Search EBay for a "Salinity Refractometer."". why is that? :tumbleweed:

hades

That link was awesome, thanks for sharing it.

And about half way through this thread I realized I had a very nice aquarium refractometer that measures Salinity... Any idea how I can use this for plant purposes? I'm not sure if I can, because it reads in Parts per Thousands and Specific Gravity... Not sure if the devices are different or just have different readings. Would it be possible to do a 'Parts per Thousands' to 'Brix' conversion or is the device actually made differently to measure the two?

Thanks for your help and great thread.

C

c-ray

roll up a leaf, put it between 2 spoons and squeeze them with the vice grips

OrganicBuds

Veteran
Nice. This season I found the best way was to use my bench vise with two pieces of sheet metal (metal framing studs) covering the vice. Then I would take a couple leaves and press them. It would be more than enough liquid from that, just one leaf would do most likely.

C

c-ray

there exists no brix chart for cannabis as far as I know, so I just made one up based on readings I've been taking and a few others I've seen online.. hope this helps us see where we are heading (the future)

0-6 poor
6-12 average
12-18 good
18-24+ excellent

Latest posts

Latest posts