What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Backyard compost makers unite!!

Big Brother

Composting

Composting

After buying Black Gold for many years, when I moved from one place to another I found two 25 gallon garbage cans that had holes in them and I would used potting soil, the stuff from walmart or kmart, and all the orgaincs, (except meat and chicken products,) and I would use humas( decompose fir park) and lawn cuttings, leaves (but not Oak leaves) finely threaded newsprint, for natural ferts I used steer manure and chicken manure about one bag of bird crap to 4 of steer crap. and mixing in the compost can with a shovel before a good rain.

is ashing your bowls and cigarettes (but not butts, just ash) detrimental?

from what i know, ash is good for the pile, right? its just carbon, i think.

G

i have a big question for all guys here.
i hope you are active, cus it seems like this thread is dead.
composting is not gone with the winter guys!

ok, my question:
next year i'm gonna start a veggie garden on a backyard with some raised bed and simple greenhouse
raised_bed_piping_195w.jpg

tomorrow i'm gonna work on the ground soil a little bit. shovel here i come! :)
on top of that soil i am gonna make a compost. i've got plenty of greens and browns. i'll make layers, just how it's supposed to and on topof that make a layer of hay or straw to protect the compost

so do you think this is a good idea or i'm just waisting time?

G

what is you compost based on? in other words, what do you add to it?
in general, rats are not the problem with compost.

Sammet

Med grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Mainly vegetables. All kitchen waste minus any meat or citrus. Some grass clippings/paper too.

It's just I noticed a small hole looked like it had been dug under the side of the compost box.

G

hmm, i think you should add more browns in there, because you don't want your compost to be too hot. by adding mostly green stuff, compost heats up a lot and invites bacterias you don't like. without proper balance of green and brown, compost does not work well so it can attract different animals. i don't know about rats, but imo it's possible.

R

Relik

peaceful_mind said:
i have a big question for all guys here.
i hope you are active, cus it seems like this thread is dead.
composting is not gone with the winter guys!

ok, my question:
next year i'm gonna start a veggie garden on a backyard with some raised bed and simple greenhouse
raised_bed_piping_195w.jpg

tomorrow i'm gonna work on the ground soil a little bit. shovel here i come! :)
on top of that soil i am gonna make a compost. i've got plenty of greens and browns. i'll make layers, just how it's supposed to and on topof that make a layer of hay or straw to protect the compost

so do you think this is a good idea or i'm just waisting time?

Hello peaceful_mind!

This sounds like a good idea, are you planning to set up the greenhouse for the winter composting too or just in the spring when you start growing? Just asking because having the greenhouse in the winter will definitely help if your temps get real cold (as will mulching with straw/hay). Composting in raised beds sounds great to me, let us know how things turn out!

Peace :joint:

G

well yea, this is my big question/problem now.

i don't have time for straight composting on soil, because i don't have enough materials. without enough materials, decomposition will never be ended before spring, right?
i would go for a compost pit. 1meter wide and long, and about 2meters high.
i'll be using
1/3 of horse and cow manure (greens)
2/3 leaves (browns)

soil is ready for preparation now. there is a layer of leaves on top. simple natures way of composting. in spring i think i will have a great soil mix (base soil, wermicompost, compost) there in a garden. what do you guys think?

Last edited:

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
That sounds fine, don't forget to add you fruit peels and kitchen vege waste as well as coffee grounds and crushed egshell.

Cut the manure with some straw as Relik suggests for fungi and protein source.

S

G

aha, thanks!
Cut the manure with some straw
what? i don't understand that! cut? you mean cover or something.
btw, i had this idea last night. what if i place compost pit direct on one portion of my garden? and than, when the compost is finished i will justs spread it on the whole garden.

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
Hey PM,

what I mean is reduce the manure by say a third and make up for it with alfalfa meal of just plain hay, it will keep the compost mix light and well balanced.

That a good idea to compost over the garden, less work :rasta:

S

G

ok then.
cow and horse manure
alfalfa meal (i hope i can get some here)
kitchen waste (fruit and veges)
coffe grounds
dead leaves
and more...

everything mixed in proper balance of course...

V

vonforne

Suby said:
Hey PM,

what I mean is reduce the manure by say a third and make up for it with alfalfa meal of just plain hay, it will keep the compost mix light and well balanced.

That a good idea to compost over the garden, less work :rasta:

S

Subys right and if you don't mind me adding that if you use too much manure it wil release the N in to the air in the form of a gas. And you should actually compost any green manure(animal) for at least a year.

3BM had a good write up on composting some where around here.

V

Last edited:
G

yea, but i read on internet that if you have 1/3 of horse manure and 2/3 of leaves it's like a super fast compost...
and i would like to have finished compost till spring.
is this possible even with other N materials?
as i was told, if i reduce manure and add other greens in it, would it be the same?

i'll read everything related to compost now....let's have a good time, hehe

Last edited:

ThaiPhoon

You may want to do a search on clinoptilolite zeolite. This stuff traps all those gases created in compost and holds on to them making them available to plants. I am currently using it in soil mix and in my compost bin and worm bin.

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
Great find TP and Nice having you around Vman :wave:

PMind quick composting occurs in a well kept and well tended to compost bin, trun the pile often to aerate it, feed it microbial teas and try to keep the composting level to a maximum and you`ll have a nice finished compost, and make sure that anything in the pile is ground up into small particles, this will also accelerate the compost.

Suby

Sammet

Med grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Do people put ash in their compost? I have a woodburning stove and lots of ash left over. The wood I use is untreated and no firelighters are used. Could I add some to my compost?

R

Relik

Hi guys, nice to see everyone here!

Sammet, ashes are a good addition to a compost pile, because they provide minerals and are alkaline, they are useful to counter the natural acidity of composting activity (some people add dolomite lime instead of ashes, it works as well and supplies mainly Ca and Mg, whereas ashes will contain more K, P and a bit of Ca + micros if I remember correctly - adding both dolomite and ashes would provide a more balanced compost in terms of nutrients).

However they should be added wisely, as their excessive application can make the pH of your compost too alkaline. I'd suggest using around 5% of your total starting composting volume, I've seen recipes which call for more but I find it easier to add more if needed than trying to add more composting material because of excess alkalinity due to ashes.

Best of luck :joint: keep it green folks!

G

i got this plastic pail/bin. about 4feet in diameter and 6 feet high.
it doesn't have any lid. i was thinking about a plastic sheet with some holes for air.
better without the lid? it's cold and snowy here in winter...
i'll make some holes in the bottom and in the side of a bin. do i need them, if i'm gonna turn the pile regularly?
that will be done tomorrow. i hope for some suggestion...

for materials i have leaves, kitchen waste, cow manure, wood ash, newspaper etc.
nothing special as you can see.
i hope i can get some coffee grounds too. i am optimistic about that (coffee shops, home, neighbors, friends)
will be looking for some straw too...
o, and hair. i can get that too!

by the 21 november the materials will be gathered and the composting will take action.

Suby, vonforne, Relik, ThaiPhoon and others, tnx!

forgot to mention... i will have a lot of time to take care of this compost.
Suby, is urine diluted in rain water good microbial tea?

Last edited: