What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

how much weight loss from wet to dry?

Y

yamaha_1fan

This may have a hundred variables but just wondering how much weight you loose from freshly trimmed bud to dried bud. 30%,50%,75% ?

I never weighed before and after. I am in the middle of trimming my latest harvest and have weighed all my wet bud before putting it on the screen. I still have more to trim. So after this dries I will know MY before and after weight. Just trying to get a heads up of what I may expect

My buds vary in size from soda can sized buds to little popcorn buds. But its all trimmed, stems cut etc. Once dry, there will be no more trimming

When I air dry 100 wet grams, I find that I end up with about 25-30 grams dried, depending on a number of factors. 25% is about average when the bud is totally dry however, for me at least.

Water curing however, I find that 100 grams wet turns into more like 15 or so grams dry.

I find that I lose approx 75% until good smokable weed. But to store for longer periods without problems with mold I usually try to get it a little drier than that. If I am putting it in the freezer just dry enough to smoke seems to work for me
so one pound wet gives me about 1/4 lb dry and so on
IMO
later

TGT

Tom 'Green' Thumb
Veteran
I would say 80% loss if you want it perfect for storage. For just cut and burn I would say 70% loss. Any less than 65% it would not burn, at least without going out constantly. You could probably smoke it that way if rolled lightly or in a bong/pipe. I am sure it also has to do with strain and bud density, stickiness ect.

I remember around 1988 to 1995 all the killer smoke was just cut and burn, and occasionally when times went dry it was soaked (that sounds very strange doesn't it?). Can't get away with soaked weed around here anymore. The Vietnamese bud (Beasters) took car of that - but I guess that's not a bad thing. It's one of the few benefits of mass produced weed.

TGT

Last edited:

FarmerTed

My actual wet/dry measurements

My actual wet/dry measurements

I just did a before & after to see how much weight i lost wet to dry.
Here's a couple: 84g wet= 22g dry, 38g wet= 10g dry.
Worked out to 74% loss. Its dry but not so dry that it turns to dust when you touch it.

nikoatnight

I was very shocked at first, I just couldn't believe it went by that much. Sure sucks when ya only have 8 girls.

G

yup, thats what i see 75/80% weight loss when dryed. sems were all in agreement with that.

and yeah, it is a bit disappointin when ya have a nice big phat juicy cola one day, and a few days later it looks like someone was pinchin it, lol.

S

split kooks

agree with the mob here....atleast 75%, you have to consider the surface moisture, the stomata closing (and loss of leaf moisture)....
soo many things happening to the babies during dry/cure.

G

Uhhhhhh. I think we have it...close enough to count...lol. Considering the size of your room you can kind of bank on it.

TGT

Tom 'Green' Thumb
Veteran
I remember once my friend had a security issue and it was his first grow ever. He had to bring it to my house to dry so he spread it out on newspaper on my basement floor and then left. After about five days later he came over and we went down into my basement to see how well the weed was drying. As soon as he walked into the room and looked down at his now much smaller pile of weed, his face turned white as a sheet. He then turned to me and called me a thief! I guess with his lack of growing and drying experience it looked like the pile had been picked at and he swore up and down that I stole from him. So after almost getting in a fist fight he left very angry.

I didn't see or talk to him again for months and I had finally forgot about the whole ordeal. Then one day out of the blue he ended up knocking at my door. When I opened the door I was suprised it was him. He had a sheepish look on his face and then be told me he was very sorry. It turned out he did a second crop and dryed the stuff out at his house this time. He saw with his own eyes how much it had decreased from the drying process. I let him in and we smoked a big fatty and talked for a while. We are still friends today, but I keep it in the back of my head the stress he had caused me, and never again will I do him a favor. Forgive, but never forget.

So, just a word of caution to anyone that has a friend whom is new to growing and wants to use your place for a drying room - don't allow it - it isn't worth the head ache.

TGT

Latest posts

Latest posts