What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Honey water to root clones

Bsinger

Tried this yesterday and last night, all clones were laying down. Today, 3 are up and perky. 1 tbsp honey dissolved in 2 cups hot water and cool. Dip stem in water and right in soil.

Anyone else try this method?

Bsinger

Yes, unpasteurized, organic it said. I was reading it somewhere and decided to try it out. Snip clone at 45 degree, cut root in half, dip in honey water and plant in soil. I've always used rooting powder and the clones lay down for 3-4 days before getting up. I noticed 3/5 up looking ready to go within 24 hours. I wonder if it's the shot of glucose getting the roots working?

mexweed

Veteran
I have heard of this but haven't tried it, what I remember reading said it takes a bit longer to show roots, also aloe gel and willow water can be used

Facelesdoll

Well you don't need anything to root a cutting and still have 100% success even with some considerably small cuttings. I use water.
2 cups with water, but all cuts off and put into cup 1. Place in cup 2 to cut again for prime nodal sites under water. Repeat process until all have been cut and are soaking in cup 2. Plant in cube, peat, soil and done! So long as you control hydration and humidity like normal. I will try the honey method to compare results and see if I get roots sooner. Would be nice to see someone with a controlled environment running a few tests.1/honey 1/honey+water 1/gel 1/powder 1/gel+powder 1/water 1/powder+honey

Facelesdoll

And if you do everything right, clones should never take days to left up. Mine lift in a few hours. The key is to be gentle and keep the stem in water at all times, make all cuts under water, try to trim your leaves back a day prior while cuts or still attached to the mom to reduce stress and evaporation. I cut back after I take the cuts and don't have issues but if you have clones sulking a lot then something is wrong. The less stress the faster they can gain focus to what they should be doing

Facelesdoll

Minus the leaves that are fighting the cup to flip back up she stands straight up from the limp noodle she was 12 hours ago at most) this cutting was a failed air layering(cloning while still on the mother) I tried scathing the outer of her stem to place my miniature bag and soil on her and this cut was just too small and fragile still. May have worked in another few days or a week. Never tried air layering before but I made mistakes I can learn from. Anyways. I wasn't prepared to have to cut it off and put it in anything to clone it as it was so small I figured I could air layer it without knowing better that I cannot. Needless to say it went super limp like a noodle. No more than 12 hours later with nothing but water and a peat iffy puck she is standing up minus the leaves fighting the cup. A bit hard to see through the plastic and humidity but you can tell her top is tipped up nicely. But aiding with warm temps and high humidity she is looking like she will make it. Even for a very very small cutting

Last edited:

Facelesdoll

All water clones.

All water clones.

Keep them between 76-82 for 10-14 days and you get roots. Make sure whatever medium you use stays fairly hydrated.. If the cuttings seem to start drooping they are too dry. And whatever you do don't use green cleaner on freshly rooted cuts or you jeopardize burning leaves like I did. I lost 0 cuttings even though some were very very small when started. And even through letting their roots dry out almost completely and hitting them with green cleaner I didn't lose anyone. Almost lost this little cutie below though. Wasnt much smaller than the rest! Just took longer to root than the rest and got hit the hardest when roots dried out but she made it. Say hello to mac1, the cube, and banana hammock

Last edited:

Facelesdoll

Sorry if I hijacked the thread. Just wanted to shed some light on part of the topic but now we need people to test different rooting applications if that helps