What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fridge drying.... Easiest fool proof method

S

sourpuss

Sup homies! Thought id contribute my piece. Havent seen a thread on drying buds in the fridge so id thought id share my method.

Try it it works great! put the buds in the fridge exposed to the dry cool air and they will slowly dry out and retain more terps and minimize the chance for mold. Takes longer but we all know slower is better.

Personally tried many different ways in the fridge. I like to hang dry as normal without the fridge to the point of first sweat. Do the sweat. Then place buds in a large brown paper bag in the fridge. An empty fridge. Bag can be folded shut it will do its thing. prolly take another week to dry cure. Do some quick sweats every couple days.... so easy!

B

Baron Greenback

Dehumidifier will do it quicker but I like this plan - good use of white goods :)

S

sourpuss

Give it a try... its a slower process. Id say 1 step higher quality finished product. If that matters give this a shot.....

When the buds r perfect u wanna jar em and keep in the fridge to retain the fresh cut buzz... room temp to degrade a bit as usual cures r done, if u feel necessary to add more stonyiness.... world is your oyster hahha

Hope that helps rid the world of some harmful moldy buds.....

AKUlu

This is a very interesting method that i have never heard of before. Every part i have dont except the fridge part. Sounds awesome but i dont have enough room in my fridge LOL

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
My fridge has food and beer in it, could a wine chiller do
the same thing?

No food smells to transfer, but is not chill enough?

55 degrees F.

JointOperation

did this.. and everything in my fridge at the time reeked of weed lol.. also had a weird taste on somethings lol like weed. lol

wont do it again. a slow dry is always great anyways.

S

sourpuss

Yeah I use my beer fridge... I think food releases water as well and would not work quite as well... wine cooler? I think so.... what temp does it run at? Anythi g cooler than room would work at slowing down the dry cure

jus'plain'gill

...Havent seen a thread on drying buds in the fridge so id thought id share my method...

Here's a thread that details freezer curing https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=186222

It has been stickied at the top of this forum for a few months and been on the first or second page of this forum for almost 5 years! There is great info and a lot of back and forth discussion.

The freezer method is definitely "set it and forget it" and results in superb quality pot. I assume you're talking about curing in the refrigerator portion of your appliance and not the freezer side though? I'm interested to hear more about how you get from wet weed to properly cured weed.

Take care,

.JPG

*I see comments about the smell in the fridge. When you are freezer curing, there is no smell whatsoever. No ambient odor and no odor that transfers to food, drink, or ice.

S

sourpuss

Yeah im talking bout the fridge not the freezer... my current method and thought id share.... freezer works.... a litttle too slow for me....

jus'plain'gill

Yeah im talking bout the fridge not the freezer... my current method and thought id share.... freezer works.... a litttle too slow for me....

Cool, cool. I'm curious how the fridge curing goes. What's the timeline like? Is odor still an issue? Is there any burping/airing out that needs to be done? I'm not too bothered by the freezer time frame but there's always room for improvement...

.JPG

S

sourpuss

Time frame is dependant on how dry and how dense and size of buds. But id estimate from a few days to a couple weeks.... to have perfect buds.

shredGnar

I wonder if a well insulated dry room with an oversized ac could work?

Do you know the approx rh of the fridge?

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Freezers and fridge's do not cure Cannabis curing takes warmer temps. You can remove the water and dry the herb, but you do not cure frozen, or at a refrigerators temps. Cure is to remove chlorophyll and excess terpenes, you know the ones that fuck with you when you smoke the herb to fresh and it makes you cough like shit and if done in excess will cause laryngitis, happened to me for years every year at harvest time, until I gave up herb and switched to dry and cured, dry sift resin. No more problems...
-SamS

S

sourpuss

Bingo... thx for clarifying skunkman.... honored to see you here! Been to Jamaica lately???

I tend to use the the term dry cure as weed today is normally sold the second its dry. feel like its an accepted practice amongst growers. not the way it should be but the way it is.... a buddy takes plants down and on the market in just over a week... he got it down to a science with dehumidifiers. Imo thats too fast. To me its all about finished product...

jus'plain'gill

Freezers and fridge's do not cure Cannabis curing takes warmer temps. You can remove the water and dry the herb, but you do not cure frozen, or at a refrigerators temps. Cure is to remove chlorophyll and excess terpenes, you know the ones that fuck with you when you smoke the herb to fresh and it makes you cough like shit and if done in excess will cause laryngitis, happened to me for years every year at harvest time, until I gave up herb and switched to dry and cured, dry sift resin. No more problems...
-SamS

In the freezer, sublimation is the process that turns fresh, harsh smoking buds into tasty, smooth smoking buds. The end goal (as it pertains to this conversation) is to have your cannabis be as enjoyable to consume as possible, right? If freezer curing does this easier and more efficiently than the jar method, the semantics aren't so important. Right?

.JPG

S

sourpuss

Ive even left "sealed" ziplock bags full of just about dry weed. Not quite dry and ready. In the fridge. Soon its perfectly dry and nice to smoke.... as ziplock r never fully sealed its like the slowest dryout u could possibly do I guess next to the freezer method... really nice product....