What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DTW for coco, questions and concerns

jus'plain'gill

Hi everybody,

A little about my growing history (5-6 years or so)- I moved from soil to perlite/vermiculite hempys after growing weary of pest issues, and now I'm onto hand watering coco after seeing improved growth rates over the hempys. However, I would like to get away from hand watering, its too demanding for my schedule. I've looked into blumats over the past few years but I'm not confident they are the best solution for my setup.

My setup- 600W in a 2.5'x5'x8', temps at 80f with lights on, humidity around 40-50%, 1 gal smartpots with 2" perlite in bottom and filled the rest of the way with coco. I flower in the 1 gal pots. Maxibloom from veg all the way to harvest. I grow a variety of strains at any given time, usually 2-3. Currently growing BOG kushes and F13xKali Mist.

Here is what I'm looking for: I need a tutorial on how to make my own DTW system. I've looked all over and, while I've read that they are easy to construct and operate, I've yet to read how to actually do so. Most setups seem to be for larger grows. I'd like to have something no bigger than a 20-30 gallon reservoir. I just need something SIMPLE. I need to water 8-16 pots at a time, 1 gal pots. If anyone can help steer me in the right direction, I would really appreciate the help! Thank you and take care,

.JPG

ozzieAI

Veteran
sounds like your set up is close to mine, i have 18 plants 9 veg/9 flower in 3 gal pots using maxibloom. i run a 25 gal res that gravity feeds the pots via 4 litre/hour drippers. although i have just finished setting it all up it seems to be working well...i put the pots into 5 gal buckets that have holes and hose for the waste to drain away immediately...

what EC do you run with maxibloom?

Hugh Midity

Veteran
gil I use 20 gallon rubbermaid brute cans for reservoirs and I have a drip setup made from 1/2" tubing which runs from the 110gph pump to 1/4" drip lines. very cheap and effective. you need to poke a hole in the line above to waterline so it doesn't siphon the entire res out when the pump shuts off though. I have one that is just a straight line and one that is a big square, each has 8 driplines evenly spaced.

jus'plain'gill

sounds like your set up is close to mine, i have 18 plants 9 veg/9 flower in 3 gal pots using maxibloom. i run a 25 gal res that gravity feeds the pots via 4 litre/hour drippers. although i have just finished setting it all up it seems to be working well...i put the pots into 5 gal buckets that have holes and hose for the waste to drain away immediately...

what EC do you run with maxibloom?

Thank you for your response. It does sound like you have a setup similar to what I'm looking for. Could you help me understand a little better, I am a visual learner:tiphat:
Your DTW works on gravity alone, no pumps? I'm curious how I get even drip rates from all emitters. I'm curious how the whole process works really. Pictures and/or vivid descriptions would be awesome!

Also, I don't use an EC meter. I usually go with about 1 tsp of maxibloom per gallon of tap water. Growth is almost always superb so I don't mess with what I've got. Every now and then I add a little epsom, rarely though.

gil I use 20 gallon rubbermaid brute cans for reservoirs and I have a drip setup made from 1/2" tubing which runs from the 110gph pump to 1/4" drip lines. very cheap and effective. you need to poke a hole in the line above to waterline so it doesn't siphon the entire res out when the pump shuts off though. I have one that is just a straight line and one that is a big square, each has 8 driplines evenly spaced.

I think I can understand what you are describing, but again, I am a simple minded kind of individual. If you can break it down for me, I'll be more confident in my understanding.

You don't use emitters, just 1/4" tubing run off a 1/2" line? And the hole in your line to prevent the res from siphoning off, where and how does that work exactly? I am sorry if I come across as totally inept, I am just having a hard time visualizing how I'm going to set this up and make it work properly.

Thank you again for your time and patience,

.JPG

Hugh Midity

Veteran
no emitters, you may want more than one line per container with a larger container. here's basically what I use and the anti siphon so you see what I mean
DRIP.jpg

100_3128.jpg

100_3129.jpg

100_3131.jpg

jus'plain'gill

no emitters, you may want more than one line per container with a larger container. here's basically what I use and the anti siphon so you see what I mean...

Those pictures def help, it looks as simple as it sounds. But is it that simple? I'm assuming you use a "T" connection on your 1/2" tubing to make the square? Your 110 gal pump gives consistent flow rates at each dripline so that nothing special needs to be done so one plant isn't receiving more water than another further down the line? And you use a timer capable of doing increments of 1 minute or less? Sorry for asking so many q's but I wanna get this right. Thank you so much!

.JPG

ozzieAI

Veteran
Your DTW works on gravity alone, no pumps? I'm curious how I get even drip rates from all emitters. I'm curious how the whole process works really. Pictures and/or vivid descriptions would be awesome!

thats right no pumps just an elevated res using pressure compensating drippers...

will try and get some pics up for you..if my camera wants to play the game...

jus'plain'gill

yes,mistking timers, I do get a little less flow at the far end but not much and yes tees and elbows

I did some digging around and happened to find 1/2" tubing, Ts and elbows, and a 396 gph submersible pump already in my possession. The pump isn't overkill is it? I can always back off on the amount of time for waterings instead of getting a weaker pump and watering for longer intervals, is that right?

I am waiting on the mistking timer to arrive but I did order it as well as the 1/4" tubing.

thats right no pumps just an elevated res using pressure compensating drippers...

will try and get some pics up for you..if my camera wants to play the game...

Thanks again, pictures would be great to help my mind to see it. Although I'm not sure I have the head room to do a gravity fed setup. How high is your res elevated?

Take care,

.JPG

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'll give ya quick run down of my set up & then pics to show ya whats what .
18 gallon rubbermaid totes as rez's 396gph pump in each rez on a mistking timer , 1/2" poly tubing to my trays & 1/4" tubing to each pot . i have a T at each pot so i can put 2 drip baskets for better distribution . & i use a buckethead shop vac to suck the water out of the trays every couple days .

anti siphon tube is at the top of the rez spraying water back into the rez through a hole in the cover

the 1/4" line coming off the 1/2" & then the T for 2 drip baskets to each pot

Then the vac for suckin water out of the trays

anything i didn't cover or if ya have questions .... just ask .

Granger2

Veteran
Hugh Midity,
In the first pic [diagram] on the upper right, is that caterpillar heading toward or away from that 1/4" drip line? Or can someone chime in? Thanks. -granger

jus'plain'gill

I'll give ya quick run down of my set up & then pics to show ya whats what .
18 gallon rubbermaid totes as rez's 396gph pump in each rez on a mistking timer , 1/2" poly tubing to my trays & 1/4" tubing to each pot . i have a T at each pot so i can put 2 drip baskets for better distribution . & i use a buckethead shop vac to suck the water out of the trays every couple days . ...

Dude, this is helpful. The pics and descriptions are exactly what I need to see to get this to click in my head. I will most likely be back with more questions when I have all my parts together and ready for assembly. You da man, Dan!!!

.JPG

Hugh Midity

Veteran
Hugh Midity,
In the first pic [diagram] on the upper right, is that caterpillar heading toward or away from that 1/4" drip line? Or can someone chime in? Thanks. -granger
you have the eyes of an eagle granger, that caterpillar is in fact heading away from the drip line. he saw that it'd be a mistake to go further most likely

jus'plain'gill

Alright, I believe I have all the parts necessary to go ahead and put my drip system together. Before I go punching holes in my tubing, I want to be absolutely clear on what I'm doing. My main hangup at the moment is the anti-siphon tube. I cannot discern from the pictures above how this works. How exactly do I set that up? What is the purpose of the anti-siphon tube? How do I achieve that goal? Thank you all again for your assistance and patience. Take care,

.JPG

Madasulike

Alright, I believe I have all the parts necessary to go ahead and put my drip system together. Before I go punching holes in my tubing, I want to be absolutely clear on what I'm doing. My main hangup at the moment is the anti-siphon tube. I cannot discern from the pictures above how this works. How exactly do I set that up? What is the purpose of the anti-siphon tube? How do I achieve that goal? Thank you all again for your assistance and patience. Take care,

.JPG

Bump, I need the same info on how anti syphon tube works as I have problems with my resoivoir not stopping watering after timer stops basically the whole res can empty like syphoning it completely if the pump is at bottom how do I stop this issue

Hugh Midity

Veteran
I just put in a 1/4" barbed coupling and piece of 1/4" line, same as for the driplines. madasulike that will stop the siphoning problem. poke that coupling in the hose above the full water line in your res.

Madasulike

I just put in a 1/4" barbed coupling and piece of 1/4" line, same as for the driplines. madasulike that will stop the siphoning problem. poke that coupling in the hose above the full water line in your res.

Thanks for your info mate so basically the syphoning will stop at the top of the res where the coupling and drip line is stopping the syphoning carrying on to the lower line where the feeding happens

Hugh Midity

Veteran
yes that's correct, wherever you put that coupling it will suck air in and break the siphon once the pump powers off. just make sure it is above the max fill line at all times and you're good to go