What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Nomaad III: 2011

nomaad

Veteran
Nice to see everybody gearing up. A well organized Spring is the first step in a successful season.

I have been quietly getting things together in preparation for another season in the sun.

I am not challenging the big plant gods again this year. That is, I am not attempting to go any bigger than I have in the past.

I will be running the following strains:

Blue Dream
OG Kush
Sour Diesel (mendo)
Chem D
Black Domina
Blue Dream x Witches Weed (male from Ganja D)
Pineapple Cough x Witches Weed
Blue Dragon

...and a couple I can't remember that are still on their way. And its early, so I will be grabbing clones all over the place as I do my Spring visiting.

Cloning ops have begin in earnest with the first round (almost wiped out when I left a cloner shut off last night after inspecting all the lovely new roots. In the end I lost about 20% and the survivors at the very least, traumatized. We'll see if I wasted a week or not.

Anyhow... Good luck to all this season.

nomaad

Veteran
BDxWW: I have 6 seed plants of this. Looking for a sick clone. I might sex these indoors and add em into the mix a little later in the season. My uncertainty comes from having very little experience with seeds...

I neglected to mention that i am doing a seed run of Chunky Cherry Malawi gifted to me by the Rev at KAOS seeds. Looking for clones here too and, if all goes well, i will also be collecting pollen. I have 25 or 30 filling out some 3.5 inch durapots and will probably crack my remaining stash today. I'm looking for some very special early finishers here. The earliest of the batch will be down round the end of Sept with the latest coming in by October 10th. I am not stoked about any of the early finishers that are typical out here. Snowcap, Mr Nice... My homegirl runs an early bubblegum that she likes... they just don;t do it for me.

The CCM, however, is top notch smoke. Been wanting to do something with DC in it for a long time and Malawi's have historically gotten me on a soaring high that is unlike any other... so the cross appeals to me in a big way.

G

Ganja D

Checking in. I remember reading your first thread before I moved. It was an exciting read then and I was really impressed with your attitude and the success of your grow. It was inspiring.
Smoked some of your Blue Dream last night,I'd say you maxed out the flavor and could fool an expert that it was indoor. Can't wait to see what you do this year brotha!
Oh,I might have to pass some cuts and mature sexed seedlings your way in a bit. Think you need some more sour in you days.
This grow season reminds me of the movie Brave Heart. We've got our war paint on and are gearing to charge. Armed with 16 gallon battery powered sprayers,myco stop,top notch genetics,and enormous smart pots. The enemy is mold,pm,fusarium,and low yields.
Charge!!!

Last edited:
T

Trinity Gold

Good luck this season. :)

I'm ready to pull up my kilt at this weather...

nomaad

Veteran
Smoked some of your Blue Dream last night,I'd say you maxed out the flavor and could fool an expert that it was indoor. Can't wait to see what you do this year brotha!
Oh,I might have to pass some cuts and mature sexed seedlings your way in a bit. Think you need some more sour in you days.
This grow season reminds me of the movie Brave Heart. We've got our war paint on and are gearing to charge. Armed with 16 gallon battery powered sprayers,myco stop,top notch genetics,and enormous smart pots. The enemy is mold,pm,fusarium,and low yields.
Charge!!!

Glad you are still enjoying that Dream. Still one of my go-tos. End of the day variety for sure.

I look forward to seeing what you have for me. Mature sexed seedlings?! Sour? You are too kind. When did you start them that they are already sexed? can i put them in 12/12 light to hasten a sexing and then bump em back to 18/6 once i have seperated them?

I really know next to nothing about seeds, males, collecting pollen, etc. Guess I have some reading to do. Whatta noob, eh?

Good luck this season. :)

I'm ready to pull up my kilt at this weather...

Are you trying to get outside already? Black boxes? I am still very happily ensconced in my cloning/vegging space. Turned the pots and will start giving them weekly flushes with hygrozyme to get rid of the decomposing roots. I am going to sift out what remains when I mix in the amendments.

Gonna add an empty pot and then transfer the dirt from the one next to it, into the new pot, mixing in amendments and sifting as I go along. Each pot will result in a new empty which will be filled in the same manner.

Sending out soil samples on Monday.

1-Fresh batch of last year's soil Mix
2-Last year's soil
3-Last year's soil with ammendment mix A
4-Last year's soil with ammendment mix B
5-Last year's Black Box soil
6-Fresh out of the bag FFOF

I am 90% sure that I am going to reuse my soil this year. I just need a little more data to feel secure. Hard breaking out of the habit of using new soil every year.

nomaad

Veteran
this question came in a PM. I thought others might benefit from the answer.

Butte_Creek said:
I read you mentioning earlier that you figured out a way to transplant out of smart pots to avoid as much shock as possible.

I was wondering if you could go over the process for me.

I've had my brain wrapped around the idea of avoiding stress while successfully transplanting from a smart pot into my outdoor beds. Really want to avoid hard plastic pots pre- veg. End of last season when digging up some beds there was obvious root mass twisted and tied together from getting root bound a little bit months prior while in a one gallon plastic pot. The roots at the bottom of the plastic pots that spiral at the base never unravel and just swell outdoors, I imagine that's a bad thing down the road...

I don't know if the method we use actually minimizes stress... but it was fast and easy to get them out of their smarties and we appreciated none of the typical visible signs of transplant shock like droopiness or slowdown of growth.

Transplant day 2010
2010_0605-048.jpg

One of those same plants 2 weeks later
2010_0620-056.jpg

The method is pretty simple. Just wet or soak the smartpot itself without watering the plant. Place the smartpot on top of a bucket or other platform that is roughly the same diameter. Fold down the top edge all the way around the plant and then just pull down evenly and swiftly. Its easier and smoother with two sets of hands than with only one.

I then water in a nice strong dose of a B Vitamin product called Aussie Tonic and Roots Trinity (any kelp product will do but i like trinity for its other components.)

Again, I don't know if the shock factor is higher, lower or the same. But it works very well for me and i will continue to rock the smarties in '11. My only problem is that when you are dealing with smarties bigger than 5 gallons they shift around a lot from the time you transplant into them until the new plant has established a pot fukll of roots. moving them can be extremely stressful, severing all the new root growth from the transplant with one move. So I'm going to be keeping my bigger smarties on plant trays and will use those to move them if I have to.

.clunk

I look forward to watching another season unfold!

You can sex the seedlings by placing them under 12/12 for a week or so until they indicate, then back to 18/6 - this will speed up the process a little.

Just be careful of hermies in your plants from seeds - I've seen the odd sneaky pollen sack ruin an entire crop on more than one occasion! It doesn't take much to pollinate all your hard work, and quite often I've seen just one or two pollen sacks hiding out on an otherwise beautiful looking lady!

I personally don't put any seedlings out any more; I've just had too many close calls - starting mother's from seed is okay for me, but everything that goes into the bush is a clone.

UnknownProphet

???do?Pu?ou?uU
Veteran
In before the magic happens. Glad to have a front row seat.

I'll post my smoke report here this weekend hopefully.

Oh and you should get Jorge over there to take some before footy.

Much respect brother.

Up.

Ps. Blue dragon? Do you mean red dragon that I gave you, if so you one of maybe three that still has her.

T

turtle farmer

hello stranger.........I cant wait to see your progress....your grows make me step up my program....old dogs can learn new tricks!!!! good luck this season

G

Ganja D

I got seedlings started a while ago that haven't showed sex yet but will soon. Also planting a bunch more exciting seeds shortly. I'll end up with more females than I need. Seedlings will mature and show sex on their own over the first few months of growth.

nomaad

Veteran
I personally don't put any seedlings out any more; I've just had too many close calls - starting mother's from seed is okay for me, but everything that goes into the bush is a clone.

Now you've got me all nervous. I have the luxury of multiple spots where i can put gardens that I have not even thought about using because of their relative remoteness to the rest of things. perhaps i will put all the seed plants in one spot isolated from the rest.

Oh and you should get Jorge over there to take some before footy.

Ps. Blue dragon? Do you mean red dragon that I gave you, if so you one of maybe three that still has her.

JC came by again just before he left for his winter in Spain. We ate tapas, drank some vino, smoked some joints and he downloaded and annotated 2 years of hi rez photos that he is thinking of using in his upcoming update to "The Bible"... it will be an honor to be included if that should happen. As always, thanks for making that connection.

The Blue Dragon is not the same as the Red Dragon. The cut came to me by way of Try Comb (now banned! boo) and is originally from Lazyman. Its a Blue Dream x Sour D. Sounds bomb to me. I will be getting a small mom here in the next few weeks and will be aggressively cloning from her as soon as she hits my room.

The Red Dragon was a Brazillian Sativa, yeah? Crossed with what? Can't remember. The smoke was nice. Bright. It was only a small plant and one of the trimmers was in love with it. She took her payment in Dragoons.

hello stranger.........I cant wait to see your progress....your grows make me step up my program....old dogs can learn new tricks!!!! good luck this season

Thanks. I am out of hibernation and will see you around the market soon, I am sure.

primeform

Ill be lurkin in the background all summer stealin all the info i can from you and ganja d. Ive got a whole bunch of seeds commin in this week from Motarebel. Maybe I can get in on this norcal genetics exchange!

M

Mountain

I kept on hearing that Blue Dream was merch then had the privilege to sample some Nomaad BD and it rocked.

The Red Dragon was a Brazillian Sativa, yeah? Crossed with what? Can't remember. The smoke was nice. Bright. It was only a small plant and one of the trimmers was in love with it
Wasn't really impressed with that one overall FWIW.

.clunk

Now you've got me all nervous. I have the luxury of multiple spots where i can put gardens that I have not even thought about using because of their relative remoteness to the rest of things. perhaps i will put all the seed plants in one spot isolated from the rest.

I don't know that I'd sweat it too much, but you never know - keep in mind that this has only happened in situations where you can only visit every 7-10 days. Since you're probably attending to the ladies alot during flowering, keep your eyes out just in case.

Keep in mind that hermies are usually caused by stress, and the great plants you have been growing don't seem to have a stressful life, so you probably have alot less to worry about than a person growing in the bush with more variables to cause stress.

T

Trinity Gold

Are you trying to get outside already? Black boxes? I am still very happily ensconced in my cloning/vegging space. Turned the pots and will start giving them weekly flushes with hygrozyme to get rid of the decomposing roots. I am going to sift out what remains when I mix in the amendments.

What's up dude. I already have almost all my ladies out chilling in the green house with the heater and lights rocking.

My line up this year from clone is Bomb Threat, Royal Kush, Ganja D's KQR, Afwreck x Cherry Thai, Old Betsy, DOG, PI x Bubba Kush, and Blue Dream .

This year from seed I'm going to look through Catpiss x X18, Blockhead x Bubba , Humboldt DogShit x Bubba , Jacks Cleaner x Bubba , Mendo Purps x Bubba , OG Kush x Alien Kush

To do my seeds I'm going to start them all indoor in May and sex them out and take cuts off them all and put them out in 30 gallon pots early july after vegging the cuts from the original seed plants indoor for a bit.

That way I can take my time to separate and choose males from the non feminised gear and I will have the time and space to keep mothers of every seed plant I start and find out what is a potential winner.

I am doing the dep different than last year and will show ya when I get done setting it up, right now the weather is too wet for me to do much dirt work which I need to do to set the dep up, but the plan is to have 6 1K MH lights to help things along with the first go around which I hope to start in may.

Once my garden dries out I'm going to break out the tractor and turn the pots and reamend them and do work.

Another mistake I made last year was planting in to my freakin hot beds with out any buffer for the ladies to grow in to.