What's new

air stones for rubermaid bins

carpster

I am building a dwc out of 4 rubermaid bins and was wondering for a 24 b y 18 bin would 2 12 airstones do the trick or do i need more???

Aerohead

space gardener
Veteran
Run as many stones as you can afford, nothing wrong with too much air, too little air and alot will be wrong.

2X12" will be enough but you could run 4 if you wanted some insurance.

C

Chris1

My local shop sells these heavy ass airstones...almost like fishing weights. Anyways these bad boys fizz mad air, and stay at the bottom of the rez. I'm in an 8 gallon rubbermaid..

A

ak-51

I am going to be cutting back the use of air-stones in everything except for my bubble cloners, where the spread that they provide is necessary. In my DWC buckets (5 gallon) I am probably going to be weighing down the hose at 2 points and poking a couple of pinholes in between those points just to get some spread. I hear it echoed around here all the time that air-stones are unnecessary; that surface tension is what really matters, which larger bubbles provide more of. I am not 100% sold, but sold enough to try it. The simpler the better in my book.

Just something to consider.

BigGreen

Veteran
I would probably run 4 6" stones in there instead of 2 12". The bigger stones dont seem to work or spread the bubbles very well.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have an Elite 802, Pump with 2 x 4" cylinder air stones in my rez. In my cloner/seed starter which is about the size of a large shoe box I use dual 12" on a WalMart aerator. when the walmart pump fails I will get another Elite 802. The bubbles are bigger, meaning they are doing a better job of agitating the water.

While I do not recommend DWC, consider getting a bigger pump and multiple air stones. You want to make sure you saturate the air between. hth

ogenko

or run a powerhead with a venturi airline going to it
it will spin your solution around more and aerate

picture.php

Last edited:

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
I hear it echoed around here all the time that air-stones are unnecessary; that surface tension is what really matters, which larger bubbles provide more of.

The most effective means of aeration is with waterfalls, two turbulent surfaces crashing through a third turbulent surface. However, waterfalls require additional space and make a lot of noise. Airstones require no additional space and are much more quiet. If noise is not an issue, an open ended hose is fine.

carpster

Wow thanx guys...i never thought of poking holes in the line...with the littlle valve to control the air i think this is the best solution to my prolem thank you very much...

carpster

I will put a screw (stainless inm the end of the speggeti line ang poke a bunch of holles then crazy glue this to the bottom of my rez....i have 4 of these binz witch i will grow 6 plants each under 1 k we will see if i can get a better yeald than promix...chris..