What's new

Complete newbie breeding questions

BoomBoom

What's up all. Getting closer to buying my first new home(will probably be done early Jan.) where I will be closet growing!

Anyway, I had some questions about breeding 2 diff strains. I see a lot of people post their crosses, but you never know which one is male or female, or if that will even have an effect on the created plant.

For example, I am high interested in Tangerine Dream(mostly sativa). I will be growing more or less micro so I would prefer indica. I would cross my TD with a Vanilla Kush(mostly indica).

So, what we have is either;
TD x VK, or perhaps VK x TD?
(Is there an established method when listing? Which sex is listed first? Female x Male?)

If I want the end result to be more indica, should I make the TD a male and pollinate the female VK or vice versa? Does it even matter? Or is it like humans where anything can happen from either side of the genes?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

igrowone

Veteran
i'm a newb breeder myself, the cross info is normally listed with the female first, i.e. 'ladies first'
now what you will get is going to get much more complicated, that i can't tell you

Hundred Gram Oz

Our Work is Never Over
Veteran
Hi BoomBoom, when talking about crosses eg, Super Silver Haze x Sour Diesel, the mother is written before the father, so Super Silver Haze would be the female.

On the breeding questions, It doesn't really matter which strain you choose to be your mother or father, both are good and both will pass on their genes, don't worry so much if you should take a female from TD or a male from VK, both will pass on their genetics, it's all about selection, home down on the traits that you desire, fast flower, big yields, aroma, potency, etc... Or maybe you have a stunning female that you want to preserve, that takes more work of back crossing/in-crossing/out-crossing until you can produce a stabilized seed line that is persistent to your original mother. Just look what Rezdog has done with Sour Diesel and Chemdog over the years. Not to mention all the other breeders that have spent a lot of time working their 'special' girls into a seed line. :)

Hope that helps ya.

HGO

MedUser420

Every plant's characteristics(smell, taste, shape of leaves etc etc) have genes. These genes are either dominate homo AA, dominate hetero Aa or recessive aa. AA and Aa genes are what the plants will show. Thinking females will pass on this trait and males will pass on that trait is wrong. Only dominate genes whether AA or Aa will determine what traits the seeds will take on. What you have to do is save several males and females of each strain and make seeds. Only then will you know which genes are AA, Aa or aa.

Latest posts

Latest posts