What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

About to make Cannabutter - Couple quick questions.

GryphN

I have about 5oz... mostly underdeveloped bud from stressed out plants (my plants went through hell thanks to a ghetto setup/no money for nutes... things are better now :) ) ...

I plan on making cannabutter with all of it, but I'm not sure how much I should make.. I don't want to make it all and have it go bad before I can use it all.

Would it be better to only make say 1oz at a time when I need it and keep the rest in bud form in a nice dark place, or will cannabutter be ok in the fridge for 2-3 months?

Anyway, thoughts are appreciated! :)
--GryphN

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
My cannabutter has lived for months in my fridge.

Other people either don't have my luck, or are just speculating.

Clarified cannabutter has been just fine after a couple months... that's fact not just parroting BS.

R

RedRain

i have seen cannabis butter mold if left for too long in the fridge,freezer is best

freeze most of it and keep a little in your fridge. its better to make it all at once and boil it for 10 hours, that way u get a good extract. make sure to decarbolyx(sp??) first, to pre-activate the THC. this step really helps.

try adding 2 table spoons of soya lectin per pound of butter when extracting the cannabis in boiling water on the stove. its a fat emulsifier and thickner. it helps your body digest and use fat. this super charges the high and brings it on much faster!!

you can find it in your organics aisle of your supermarket. looks like corn meal

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Can you give us a definitive time on the butter molding?

I clarify mine, so there isn't any water content, only fat.

How do you do yours RR?

Wouldn't I run into problems with an emulsifier if I tried to boil my butter in water and resolidify?

R

RedRain

Can you give us a definitive time on the butter molding?

I clarify mine, so there isn't any water content, only fat.

How do you do yours RR?

Wouldn't I run into problems with an emulsifier if I tried to boil my butter in water and resolidify?

hello,

i am not 100% but I think it was almost 2 months in the fridge. I boil my weed,water, butter, and soy lectin for 10-12 hours on a stove. I use a cheese cloth to strain any butter out of the weed. I then cool in the freezer till the butter is solid and scrape off any water.

I only use my weed butter for cookies and baking, so I dont need any fresh on hand. If I were using it everyday, I would take out enough for a week and freeze the rest. That is just my opinion

I have clarified my butter as well, boiling for another 8-10 hours in just water to further purify my butter. The soy lectin will not effect the butter in any way, except to turbo charge the high

Personally I would make a small batch first to get the dosing right....

If I plan to keep the butter for anymore than a couple of months, I heat my butter in the crock pot before adding any product. Once it melts and the fat floats to the surface i scrape it off... This is supposed to increase shelf life.

What butter to product ratio do you plan to use?

brer

I'm savage , i keep canna butter frozen and eat it frozen , last's a year at least frozen .
Some great tip's folk's thank's , think i'll try coconut oil next run .

GryphN

Oh, vanneysorganic.... I think im gunna put 4oz of airy/underdeveloped bud + 20grams of good sugar trim from the couple plants that did do well... and a bunch of stems... I'm thinking I'll prolly go with 3.5 or 4lbs of butter <or equivalent amount of oil if i go that route...>

--GryphN

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
I am counting my blessings as I just baked with my two month old jar of butter and it's still in prime shape.

I must live in a pyramid.... oh wait, I do...

:bigeye:

Oh, vanneysorganic.... I think im gunna put 4oz of airy/underdeveloped bud + 20grams of good sugar trim from the couple plants that did do well... and a bunch of stems... I'm thinking I'll prolly go with 3.5 or 4lbs of butter <or equivalent amount of oil if i go that route...>

--GryphN

Ratio sounds about right for the quality of the product 3lbs should make some nice blackout butter depending an how airy/underdeveloped with 4lbs being a little more manageable.....

I would leave any stems and fan leaves out cause to me it can make the butter taste real planty without much increase in potency.

Do it to it......and make a BAKED potato for me