What's new

CFL or HPS/MH switchable

BoomBoom

What's up all?

I can't decide between a 250w CFL kit with reflector and 2700 and 6500 bulbs

http://www.amazon.com/Feliz-Grow-Light-6500K-Reflector/dp/B003JJL8SW

258.83 total with both CFL bulbs and shipping.

OR

a HPS/MH hood setup with switchable ballast with basic bulbs

http://www.specialty-lights.com/900503.html

229.99 with both basic bulbs and shipping.

+29 for eye hortilux HPS bulb makes them nearly same price as CFL setup at 258.99

great thing about HPS is it's small and easy to hang and switch bulbs. I can also put it close to the plants and not worry about heat.
now my only real concern here is heat, obviously they are the same watts and HPS/MH throw out lots more lumens! I'm not sure yet but my grow might either be in a closet/cabinet or into a more spacious walk in closet. do you guys think its necessary to get the higher quality EYE bulbs? I can upgrade the hoods to have tempered glass and air cooled fittings in future..

if these don't really produce that much heat, then I could go for the 400w switchable light system for just a little more money if I grow in the walk in closet.

scurred

Depends on your grow space. If your growing in a small space I'd go fluorescent, less heat, easier to ventilate, and you can get the plants closer to the bulbs.

If you don't have space or height restrictions, HPS/MH will be a better choice. HPS/MH are more efficient, more PAR per watt, but create more heat and need better ventilation.

BoomBoom

if it were for a walk in closet, you think it would still need ventilation for just a 250w? I mean a 400w maybe, and a 600w+ def venting, but for a 250w? how much hotter in Fahrenheit do they increase they increase room temp?

scurred

Yes, you will need ventilation even for a 250. I used to own a 100w T5 light and I had it in a bedroom closet with no ventilation, I would still have to leave the door partially open because all lights generate heat, and with no ventilation the heat just keeps building up.

BoomBoom

crap.... ok so, I mean I need ventilation anyway for the carbon filter later in the grow when it smells.

Can I do this;
Light hood = ducting = inline fan = carbon scrubber = exits room

So basically the inline fan sucks hot air from the light hood, up the duct, and pushes it through the carbon scrubber and out the room. Is it bad to have hot air pushing through the scrubber?

BoomBoom

I been looking at this, I can get 4ft 6 bulb T5 HO fixture including 6 cool bulbs for just 155 + shipping, +66 for 6 warm bulbs

260.27 shipped with 6 warm and 6 cool bulbs

CFL 250W 15K lumens $258
T5 6bulbs 324W 30K lumens $260

Latest posts

Latest posts