What's new

Too much usage for small house??

RugerBaby

Autos are for pussies!
Veteran
Hey peeps, I have a quick question regarding upgrading my grow room.
Right now Im running a 600 for flower. Im planning on upgrading to two 1k hps lights but Im concerned about the amount of power used.

My house is a fairly small 3 bedroom single story house. Should I be worried? Or am I just being paranoid?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

peace,
Ruger

philcollins

the rule of thumb that folks speak of around here is...1000 watts of light per bedroom....so, according to this rule...u could run 3000 watts and be safe...

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
lol......
i thought u were gona ask about 10KW in a 1 bedroom apt.

ive ran 4k in a 1 bedrm... ;) 600watts?
your so chill....

fyi- im running 12kw in a 3bedroom right now. + 2hp chiller/15kbtu a/c....

midgethorse

Location and power costs, I lived in a 2000 sq foot house, 2k and saw a considerable increase in usage, but where am I at now, It would be no problem.Due to power cost difference.
Midgethorse

David762

That's still substantial power usage.

That's still substantial power usage.

lol......
i thought u were gona ask about 10KW in a 1 bedroom apt.

ive ran 4k in a 1 bedrm... ;) 600watts?
your so chill....

fyi- im running 12kw in a 3bedroom right now. + 2hp chiller/15kbtu a/c....

I have to ask -- did you have the power to the house increased? 12kw is essentially 100 amps+ just for the lights alone, assuming 120 VAC 60 Hertz common in N. A. That doesn't include fans and pumps (air / water) or AC. Many older houses only have 100 amp service to the breakers, while many newer houses have 200 amp service. 220 VAC 60 Hertz service is normally limited to 40 amps, for electric range and electric clothes dryer.

That's my problem as a tentative small indoor grower -- limiting total power consumption to what a single 120 VAC 60 Hertz 15 amp circuit can provide with the usual household / apartment wiring. This limits me to 3 x 400w hps, along with fans and pumps (air / water). Even AC is a bit iffy, if you know what I mean.

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
One thing Ive learned over the last few years is that power bills are the least of your worries. Pay the bill, whatever it may be. A couple thousand watts isn't going to raise any eyebrows. Besides, with the economy in the toilet, a paying customer is a good customer for power companies. A high bill from a paying customer is even better. You really only have to worry about your power bill if you've drawn attention from police for something else. Mind your other security needs and the bill won't be a problem.

Hey peeps, I have a quick question regarding upgrading my grow room.
Right now I'm running a 600 for flower. Im planning on upgrading to two 1k hps lights but Im concerned about the amount of power used.

My house is a fairly small 3 bedroom single story house. Should I be worried? Or am I just being paranoid?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

peace,
Ruger

Turn off the breaker controlling your existing light and determine which other outlets it feeds. If possible split your lights between two separate circuits.

Assuming of are running everything on 120v 2 1k fixtures will draw close to 2200 watts 2200/120 = 18.3 amps. You really don't want to exceed 75% of what a breaker was designed for, so that would be around 15 amps on a 20 amp breaker. The breaker would hold, put you would be pushing it.
Some people recommend just replacing with a 30 amp breaker, which is a horrible idea unless you plan on stepping up wire size. 12 gauge wire is only rated for around 20 amps anything more and you open yourself up for fire potential.
Hope this helps....

del...

i have an older home (it'll be 100 years old in two years) and had to replace a couple breakers from 15 to 30's (i called in an electrician and told him it's for a couple of kilns) and have had no probs. i used to trip the 15amps all the time until the upgrade. i have 2 30amp outlets now and can easily handle 4k but usually only run 2. my bills run around 200/mo (closer to 300 during the heat of summer) but i am a miser with the electricity usage in every other room...to the point of even turning off my elec hot water heater when going away for even a weekend and it's made a big diff with the bill...iow, there are ways to help offset the extra power usage.

'it's grow time' pretty much summed-up what's important...

good luck

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
I have to ask -- did you have the power to the house increased? 12kw is essentially 100 amps+ just for the lights alone, assuming 120 VAC 60 Hertz common in N. A. That doesn't include fans and pumps (air / water) or AC. Many older houses only have 100 amp service to the breakers, while many newer houses have 200 amp service. 220 VAC 60 Hertz service is normally limited to 40 amps, for electric range and electric clothes dryer.

That's my problem as a tentative small indoor grower -- limiting total power consumption to what a single 120 VAC 60 Hertz 15 amp circuit can provide with the usual household / apartment wiring. This limits me to 3 x 400w hps, along with fans and pumps (air / water). Even AC is a bit iffy, if you know what I mean.

i have a dual50-50 am breaker for my lights. and have a dual100-100 breaker in the main coming in. everything seams fine. new breakers/wire.

EDIT* althought this shitty ass 3 small-ass bedroom house actualy has an old-ass breaker box that was set-up for 200amps/240 back in the 70's r 80's (judging by the old-ass "sears brand" a/c unit on the side of the house, with original 70's look complete with mustard-yellow paint.
crap-ass-carboard house....lol...

One thing Ive learned over the last few years is that power bills are the least of your worries. Pay the bill, whatever it may be. A couple thousand watts isn't going to raise any eyebrows. Besides, with the economy in the toilet, a paying customer is a good customer for power companies. A high bill from a paying customer is even better. You really only have to worry about your power bill if you've drawn attention from police for something else. Mind your other security needs and the bill won't be a problem.

this is the usual deal with power co's traded on stock market, some city power like anaheim, is actualy checking businesses to see "why there using so much" (few of my lagit bisiness friends have had wierd inspections. usualy cal-center owners (massive juice pullers, 100 pc's + in a 50x50... usualy 5000watts+ in servers /telco equip.

just make sure ur registration isnt setup to your grow house.
i have mine going to a postal PO BOX, that i used an id i got from DMV, leading to my friends house so there is a dead-end chain for them to find your grow based off road-side incidents, accidents, or even being followed from a dispo/grow store/friends/home-de-pot etc.

this helps block that last part, about police...fuck them.

EDIT AGAIN*
it seams to me from all the news article and what-nopt that PG&E might actualy be inbed with the pigs. so i tenativly consider edison "good".

I

InvisibleEmpire

I think it's all situation dependent.

Rule of thumb wouldn't be logical for this type of question because everyone's situation is different, and housing is only 1 factor...previous arrests? Do they sell? Are they on the 'watch list' of the local narco squad? Many things come into play...

Bottom line, I myself am going to a much bigger setup in about a month (2 x 1000w and 1 x 400w) so during peak times, i'll be pulling 2,400w just on the grow alone minus my refrigerator, any a/c, any heaters, etc. Like someone else said, the bigger the home the easier it is to disguise, but again, a paying customer is a paying customer. If you are growing do NOT be late on your electric bill. Most law enforcement only use this tactic when they already have suspicion - IE, awful lots of activity to/from the home which makes neighbors question or call the cops for disturbances, etc.

In my residential situation I already have a plan in mind:

- One room dedicated to the grow (this keeps things centralized which means shit won't be laying around in various places), and it will be under lock and key

- Fans, carbon filters and ducting combined with air-cooled hoods so i can disperse the heat throughout the room so no intense heat signatures are found by any FLIR fly-overs (which probably wont happen in my area anyway)

- Blacking out majority of windows and because of my situation cooling/heating the room will be simple while i can have fresh air blown into the room from outside without giving off heat signatures incase of FLIR fly-over.

- With a 2.4kw grow obviously it's not ALL personal stash, and I have a plan devised that will evenly distribute people coming to my home at various points (which won't draw attention, as everyone has friends or family stop over during the week) but when i have, say, 4 people in 1 day hit me up for example, i'll have 2 pull up and come in (looking like a friend) and the other 2 i will advise to park 2 streets away and walk to my house. This way there isn't constant car traffic which could tip off neighbors. Many neighbors peep outside when they hear a car pull up close to their house....4, 5 a day at one house would be suspicious...and i live near a cop family.

- Be courteous with your neighbors as much as possible, don't cause problems where there aren't any and don't give the government or law enforcement any reason to come anywhere near your home. Black out windows with curtains, shades, etc so people don't have a clear view of what you are doing at all times. You'd be surprised how many people get popped for tips...neighbors calling in suspicious activity, or smelling weed all too often, etc.

It's all common sense when it comes to growing, but most people get too caught up in the idea and planning of the grow and go lax on security.

Summary:

- Pay your bills (electric obviously)
- Utilize carbon filters
- Do not create 'traffic' at your home
- Do not create heat signatures visible from outside (IE, venting out a window)
- Keep your mouth shut and at most only let people know you sell, not that you grow. Again, people get popped and run their mouth...it's commonplace anymore...

Follow these basic rules and other ways of common sense and you'll be fine just like I plan on being! lol

You can easily explain high amounts of power use, especially for someone like myself...old farm house (built in the 20s), since remodeled multiple times, but because of it we have window air conditioners...each unit = 1,000-1,250w. We've ran 3 air conditioners in this house at one time whilst I had a 400w grow going on + refrigerator and computers, never heard a peep. We pay our bill, don't hear shit. Living situation is changing and even using 2,400 watt constantly if I ever were to be questioned about it, I would simply state that I run heaters and air conditioners at all time and have old appliances and am planning on getting many energy star appliances. Or I could default to "none of your business"...but that could lead to a tip. Never heard of someone in a residential situation being questioned by the power company about their use....but this is all area & state dependent.

Act like a normal person who just so happens to grow. Someone mentioned hiding your identity etc...don't worry about that shit unless you are seriously big time (selling pounds constantly)...be sure to keep your mouth shut on the phone and don't use incriminating terms, do most of your 'business' discussion in person. Never sell to anyone you don't know and refuse to sell to someone you are fishy about...it's not worth the risk. They get popped, they'll run their mouth OH SO AND SO SOLD ME THIS HES A FRIEND OF SO AND SO...which leads to an investigation or stake out...which leads to questions to the power company....etc.

My buddy got stopped at a checkpoint after buying a half ounce of white widow off of me. He opened his dashboard console and put the weed (triple bagged) BEHIND the console, where you have to put your whole arm almost in and know where to reach to get it.

Long story short the smell was so overpowering that the local LEO's (big city, but also send you to prison for simple possession - no decrim or medical here) called in the dog...the dog couldn't fuckin find it! So they called a SECOND dog in...who ALSO couldn't find it. They threatened him thinking he had POUNDS on him because of the smell, when it was only a fuckin half! He was smart, kept his mouth shut and was nice even though they tried to ream him. He was let go and kept his half! LOL

mtbazz

good post...I just upgraded to a 1000 watt HPS and was worried about the increase in electric usage drawing too much attention.

So I guess this means I dont have anything to worry about either?

good post...I just upgraded to a 1000 watt HPS and was worried about the increase in electric usage drawing too much attention.

So I guess this means I dont have anything to worry about either?

. . just cut down on using the plasma & you'll be fine, once the bills are paid qucikly, you'll never have problems . .

mtbazz

You mean the boob tube? Actually I just cut out my cable tv entirely, and am much more aware these days about keeping other lights off, powering down computers when not in use, etc...

A 1kw light doesnt really sound like alot anyway...money wise, thats like 30 bucks a month or so, and probably uses the same amount of power as a little space heater.

. . just cut down on using the plasma & you'll be fine, once the bills are paid qucikly, you'll never have problems . .

Unless you live in an area w/high busts for grow houses, then the electric co is not gonna be monitoring you like Big Brother. I live in a non med state and meth busts are the big thing right now. Those outnumber any other drug right now. And when people get busted with weed, its mostly a dealing thing. The last grow house bust around me was almost 2 years ago. The pigs around me are not targeting grow houses at all, why because its a rare crime. Right now I have only a 2k grow, I could double it (if I had the space) and still fly under the radar.

Nevro

Hey folks , don't forget an important material : Mylar
Originally used by the military as a defence against Infrared sensor devices... it can help.

I also use heat from my cooltubes instead of my home heater.

Latest posts

Latest posts