What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How safe is this site?

Mr. Nut

Since becoming a member of this web site, I've noticed alot more activity on my firewall and a major change in my computers performance. My operation isnt at the same residence as my computer, but it still makes me nervous. I was member at OverGrow for a considerable amount of time and never noticed these symptoms. Since being a member here, people have asked me to ship them clones or to meet up. These are activities that are not normally associated with the average stoner. Who ever meets someone at one of these web sites and wants to exchange product via mail or in person is either crazy or involved with a government agency. My main goal is to keep my identity secure at these websites and next is to help others. My question is do you take such a risk just to share your thoughts and ideas? Is it worth it? Our privacy in this country is fading quickly and freedoms are diminishing.

Last edited:

KharmaGirl

~Resident Puck Bunny~
Veteran
It's safe. When you receive such offers, please forward them to a Mod or Admin...Don't post any info that could compromise your personal security and you'll be fine.

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
KG is right.

Mr. Nut. If you would could you PM me the names of the people asking for these things. It's not condoned here whatsoever....

SouthernGuerila

Gotta Smoke 'Em All!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Security is relative. Using TOR + Privoxy and limiting or completely omitting personal / private information will keep you scott free.

TOR + Privoxy should ONLY be used over SSL (https://) because some government entities as well as private groups and persons setup exit nodes and monitor / sniff the data. SSL isn't perfect but it'll keep 99% of people from easily obtaining information.

Y

yamaha_1fan

The site is safe. Look how many 5,6,10KW+ grow logs are here. Just dont post a pic of your house, license plate etc. There has only been one grower that we can confirm has been busted and that it had anything to do with his posts on ICmag. It had more to do with what was in his pics, and where he grew outdoors.

Dont consider meeting anyone or receiving anything from anyone. SHipping to someone can be done w/o much risk to you but its still frowned upon

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Mr. Nut. How are these people contacting you? I didn't think the PM function worked until you had 50 posts....

Mr. Nut

Mr. Nut. How are these people contacting you? I didn't think the PM function worked until you had 50 posts....

There is such a thing as vistor messages, these are messages you can send others before you reach the PM level. JJScorpio I sent you a vistor message on this subject. LOL You guys crack me up.

C

cellardweller

There is such a thing as vistor messages, these are messages you can send others before you reach the PM level.

um..I looked in your public profile and you have no visitor messages sir.
Maybe that is why you have been called officer nut.

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
BS! (spring break?)

We do notice this site does/did leave unwanted activity on the firewall... that's true... perhaps it has something to do with the cookies or something like that :chin: whatever.. lol

Also we made plenty international friends via the international forums ,, eye ball to eye ball,, perfectly normal activity is meeting people,, please stop being paranoid... lol :canabis:

Peace peace Peace

irieeyes808

I have been asking myself the same question for some time now. I worried that I was basically incriminating myself by posting pictures? Putting location and birthdays? I wouldn,t meet anyone in person yeah that is a bit insane.

Papulz

lover of all things hashlike
Veteran
i sometimes wonder how the community even made it to this day in age.

please, in no way am i saying lets all post addies and have big ass parties..

but rather illuminating the fact that our cannabis realm would be a shadow of itself if everyone was this concerned.

Last edited:
C

cellardweller

I wouldn,t meet anyone in person yeah that is a bit insane.

ya know irie, when I first joined here, I felt exactly the same way. After talking online for many many months with some local growers, I made the decision to go meet one of em. That person is now a very close and trusted friend. Through that grower, I have met other growers of a like mind and made many new friends here near me.
Papulz said:
Y'all do realize that there wouldn't be a community whatsoever if we didn't work together?

exactly..

SouthernGuerila

Gotta Smoke 'Em All!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i sometimes wonder how the community even made it to this day in age.

please, in no way am i saying lets all post addies and have big ass parties..

but rather illuminating the fact that our cannabis realm would be a shadow of itself if everyone was this concerned.

Why not? I thought this was the match.com/eHarmony.com of cannabis!

Mr. Nut

Well Im glad youve made so many close friends cellardweller... lol wow Ok anyways... If I were a cop, wouldnt you think I would jump on the oppertunity to go meet someone and then if they were dumb enough, go meet their friends as well. I swear reading some of these posts makes me dumber. Apparently you dont understand how the vistor messaging works either. If someone asks me for some grow tips and I send them a vistor message, all of our messages stay on their page. Anyone who wants to meet up with you after only a few online conversations, either doesnt have any friends or is a cop.

V

Verger OG

Since becoming a member of this web site, I've noticed alot more activity on my firewall and a major change in my computers performance. My operation isnt at the same residence as my computer, but it still makes me nervous. I was member at OverGrow for a considerable amount of time and never noticed these symptoms. Since being a member here, people have asked me to ship them clones or to meet up. These are activities that are not normally associated with the average stoner. Who ever meets someone at one of these web sites and wants to exchange product via mail or in person is either crazy or involved with a government agency. My main goal is to keep my identity secure at these websites and next is to help others. My question is do you take such a risk just to share your thoughts and ideas? Is it worth it? Our privacy in this country is fading quickly and freedoms are diminishing.

Valid questions. I care a great deal about privacy and justice. Privacy is a right. Many people tend to forget that, they assume it is a privilege.

I don't know where you are from but in The Netherlands privacy is under heavy attack. Many Europeans do not know this as they point fingers at america and its patriot acts and spying on their own people and what not, they forget that in some areas of this sort of 'security' thing we are ahead of the usa. Don't ask me precisely in what. I forgert these things because I have a lousy memory. Often it is about laws and regulations and I don't need that bother me in every day life.
But I read about it on tweakers.net, a good website with much news on these things besides everything related to PC's. And on other forums and website on privacy, security and the whole caboodle.
I have a list of things that have been changed or implemented and it is scary.

Internet is a major spearpoint I believe for LEO these days. The amount of info people let go of in their naivity is staggering. I do not use Facebook and Hyves and shit. Dutch IRS are actually looking at that to see if someone boasts about having money or making deals without the IRS knowing about it.

Still, internet security and privacy is a shallow thing. If you post here, well, it is not a real problem but... it is by no means ultimately safe.

Unless there is really a plot out there to frame you or datamine you for LEO to learn and understand who we are, why we are and what we do...I wouldn't worry too much yet.
PC's are weird things. Who knows what background task got installed or activated that uses resources, slowing your system down. Not even talking about malware or trojans etc too. Just normal built in windows shit.

Every day I get annoyed by Vista these days. I should clean it out a little.

Also, defrag your drives and do the normal standard maintainance every PC user should do but forget...

Sometimes my drives rattle and I think wtf is it doing? perhaps sorting out the search index. You kn ow it I hope. I turned it off, when you play a game and windows starts to re-index, well....

You know. So be aware of your internet security but don't get too paranoid.

V

Verger OG

There is such a thing as vistor messages, these are messages you can send others before you reach the PM level. JJScorpio I sent you a vistor message on this subject. LOL You guys crack me up.

Don't worry about it, it seems a local pass time to blame everyone in their paranoid delusions that they are a cop. Never seen anything like it. If they don't agree, you are a cop. Or paranoid. Or both. Or insane. Whatever.

:abduct:

And of course there are cops here. Where else would they learn how to grow proper weed!
LOL!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts