What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

50 dollars flower ounces delivered in socal How far will the Market Crash?

EsterEssence

Veteran
I have to ask like Medfinder, is it tested for pesticides and or molds, what type of fertilizer was used. I know for a fact that there are a lot of people out here that didn’t or haven’t gotten busted growing large amount of cannabis that don’t care what they have to do to get buds. There are also people like me who grow organic, and care about how the cannabis is taken care of post harvest. I guess it comes down to buyer beware...

X

xavier7995

I think things are changing for sure, but what that means is a bit of an unknown. I could easily see a “craft” cannabis market rising up to compete with big cannabis. The homebrew market does very well for example, and there’s always going to be those consumer groups that will chase and pay for unique.

Thats long been my hope. I just want to set up at a farmers market and legally sell a few zips of top quality weed, no interest really beyond being something like a hobby craftsman selling his weird chainsaw sculptures on the side of the road. Its prohibitively expensive to try and be a solo op right now.

We have 100 dollar oz all day, some down to 75, with it being cheaper on the med side. I believe WA has 50 dollar zips. Cant speak for theirs, but i have taken a look at that cheap weed here and am more inclined to head to the hood and buy some brick. It just looks...bad...for lack of a better word.

Edit: i did try a freebie joint from a dispo recently. It was gross tasting and weak. I could roll a better one from scraps pile.

Lyfespan

Os are up in socal, saw more pricing above 200 this weekend, and more growers are sticking to their guns on pricing. you can almost be proud to grow again

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
There is so little proper cannabis here on the east coast, a zip of real nice is 3-350 a z. And that is very very hard to find. Everything else is lousy out west sent crap 100-150 a zip. I'd smoke my chair first.

SIG

A square acre = 43560 feet.

I was kicking it around in my head a while back thinking about what an acre of autoflowers could produce with kief/oil for topicals etc. being the desired end product. I had a friend growing alfalfa at the time and was just thinking what if...

Figuring a low number say 1oz. per sq. ft, 43560/16 oz= 2722.5 lbs.@ $100/lb it still would be $272,250.00. Say just for shits and giggles you dried it and baled it the same way. A hundred lb bail for $1000.00?

Yep Douglas is right it can go way, way further down.

That was just a mind thing, I was thinking how fast one could produce the most etc.

Here in central Ca $500.00 lbs is getting to be the norm for passable seedless buds with good smell etc. It in no way compares to what people here grow but in the big scheme it aint all that bad.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
^^ I also worked out how many pounds you could get out of a few square miles of outdoor or greenhouse pot. Enough to take care of the state of California and more.

Cost to grow, well not sure but the sun is free. Skunkman said it is going in the toilet. Vegetable prices. What does tobacco cost wholesale before they rape you with taxes. Not much I would think. It requires a long cure as well. Looked it up, $1 a kilo up to maybe $10. $6 was the upper limit in 2013 not sure what today looks like.

People will make lots off pot but do not expect the growers to live like they do now, boutique might hang on but less money than now.

CaptainDankness

^^ I also worked out how many pounds you could get out of a few square miles of outdoor or greenhouse pot. Enough to take care of the state of California and more.

Cost to grow, well not sure but the sun is free. Skunkman said it is going in the toilet. Vegetable prices. What does tobacco cost wholesale before they rape you with taxes. Not much I would think. It requires a long cure as well. Looked it up, $1 a kilo up to maybe $10. $6 was the upper limit in 2013 not sure what today looks like.

People will make lots off pot but do not expect the growers to live like they do now, boutique might hang on but less money than now.

Definitely going to be cheap as hell, a pack of Marlboro is just over $7 here with all the taxes which is about 20 grams of top shelf cigarettes. Machine trimmed definitely isn't as good, but it's not complete trash especially in a pre rolled pack.

They should be able to grow pretty good weed in fields from clone. Sure we still have expensive cigars, but they don't really sell too many of them. Once these giant corporations can dial in a mother to grow fields it's going to be dirt cheap. Unless maybe some of us do open pollinations near their outdoor crops, but the sizes of some of them greenhouses being used already that's probably not going to be a big deal. Greenhouse grown tomatoes are still dirt cheap.

I'm thinking the more boutique products will be imported we can't afford to make hand rubbed hash. Also there is so much OG, Cookie, GG, it's hard to really be unique, I mean where the fuck is all Neville's Haze, Thai, Columbians? Don't seem like they have anything in California with a long flower time, of course you will probably get less for boutique Sativa just because it's not as popular and they get away with calling Blue Dream Sativa even though it's mostly Indica.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
Don't seem like they have anything in California with a long flower time.

well if u r a grower and can flower in 60 or 70 days for an indica/hybrid, why would u grow a sativa that flowers for 120+ days... unless of course u can charge 2X the price... which u can't...

pity i toooo miss a long flowering sativa... i'm tired of these indica's and hybrid mixtures-

X

xavier7995

I wonder how they will process huge grows like that? Throwing it all at extracts would be the way to go i guess. Not sure if it could get down to veggie prices until they are able to mechanize the harvest and processing to put out acceptable quality.

Drewsif

That bud smells like a basement res full of AN
Guaranteed. American mersh is the worst. Budcandy Kush Botanicare Haze, GH Cookies. That ain't strains.

Medfinder

Chemon 91
A few years ago i was selling bhut jolokia trinidad red scorpian and a few other super hot chilles and made more than clones of dank cannabis.

Hmm... looking into kratom and kava kava as well as chaga and legal herbs to grow and propagate.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
^^ That is forward thinking. Thinking you will make thousands of dollars per pound of pot is backwards thinking.

I doubt pot will go to vegetable price or tobacco, but it has to come way the hell down for wholesale. No other reality can exist. These are very early days of legal and do not give you any idea of what will come in a few years judging by prices now being steady for a year or so.

Hydro8

Many producers are saying extracts are the next big thing and putting a lot of money and time into it. With extracts they can take outdoor grown($100.lb) toss it is a stripper/grinder/machine?? send it off to the lab and out the other side with high grade extract. The younger generation is buying it up.

In Colorado you can buy $600lbs $100.oz all day long. Cheaper if someone wants to buy bulk or scrape the bottom of the market. I like quality and go to the highest grade dispensaries pick from a ever rotating great collection of phenotypes for $10. a gram or $150oz that is the top of the commercial market.

Cannabis is not hard to produce and process. The hardest part is the legal compliance, as that gets easier watch prices really dive.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Beginning of the end. Canada is doing at least one open outdoor grow this year. As soon as million acre farms go to cannabis, I'm predicting about $1/Kilo for bottom grade. Wheat is $6 for 50lbs here... what's the bottom line going to be for cannabis production? Sales will be slightly above that number from the farmer.

You're probably right but this is at least five years down the road. As more states go legal, Canada will be all set to supply them with the weed and all the clean compliance data they could possibly want. Smart Ehh.

grayeyes

Ideally, those with some money will discover the dispensaries sell crap. Even the expensive ones. Once the buyers discover home grown, with all the varieties, they may settle to much the system it was before only now it could be legal.

Right now only growers here in CA with licenses can sell. And I believe their market of buyers is limited. With enough stink about home grown being like moonshiners, there could develop a niche market.

Something to dream about.