What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Gibberellic acid 90%

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
Hey gang,

I plan on using Gibberellic Acid to pop some beans. I have had no issues to date popping beans, OTOH I have had 4 (2 delta strains)dampen off on me. These are autos. Only 2 out of 4 popped the 1st time. I tried to pop 2 more and although one sprouted and grew 2 inches, that is where it stopped (Ww). The other never showed its face (Nl). My 1st bean of Nl had sprouted 2 tails.

MY Q is, in preparing a solution of GA3 do you use 90% in the equation. IOW is 90% the purest it can be? Is it a factor? Because there is different potency available from 10 all the way up to 90%. I have found the info I need with ref to make a 100ppm solution. Do I take the 90% as a factor in creating the solution, or simply leave it out of the equation?

shaggyballs

Veteran
Yes 90 % pure must be factored in to the equasion for an accurate mesurement.
Try a tiny amount of Gibb to start with or you will have too much stretch.

I was hoping to find a way to use auxin to help with this issue, but have no info to add here.
I have even heard of cytokinin being of help with seeds but again I have no info to add here.

It sure would be nice to find a fix for this issue, so nice work here!

Good luck
Shag

P.S.
1 gram of 100% pure Gibb in 1 liter of water will give you 1000 ppm Gibb in a liter of water.
1 gram of 90% pure Gibb in 1 liter of water will give you 900 ppm Gibb in a liter of water.
Ect.

If my math is correct this should help out a bit.

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
Yes 90 % pure must be factored in to the equasion for an accurate mesurement.
Try a tiny amount of Gibb to start with or you will have too much stretch.

I was hoping to find a way to use auxin to help with this issue, but have no info to add here.
I have even heard of cytokinin being of help with seeds but again I have no info to add here.

It sure would be nice to find a fix for this issue, so nice work here!

Good luck
Shag

P.S.
1 gram of 100% pure Gibb in 1 liter of water will give you 1000 ppm Gibb in a liter of water.
1 gram of 90% pure Gibb in 1 liter of water will give you 900 ppm Gibb in a liter of water.
Ect.

If my math is correct this should help out a bit.
That is what I thought too. Man you wouldn't believe what I stumbled across yesterday, where the formula is 1g = 1000mg. They made it sound like rocket science, without telling nus what a rocket was!

In my case 1.1g of 90% will do nicely.

Here is someone I respect and, where I got the idea to deal with my remaining seeds.
https://youtu.be/tehCb0Zbi1M?list=PLmzMvMmx4RXZ4RPatI-hjYv4ZVuBYiIxr

shaggyballs

Veteran
Cool video, I think I saw that one too.
I would have to assume the video used water soluble Gibb.

Now the after effects are what I worry about here.
Super stretchy seedlings that fall over and die.
He does not show this part but most likely that is what happened.

I suggest to try 50 ppm instead, to me that is a lot of gibb!
Maybe try to rinse them faster to get rid of the gibb.

If you see they are going to over stretch, a bit of cytokinin may help slow things down.
Paclobutrazol is actually an anti-Gibb so to speak but I do not like recommending it.

I have a thread hear talking about when a seed sprouts and then stalls never emerging from the shell.

That is different than what you are refering to...right?

I think a good sterilizing agent may help with my issue, but that is still under investigation.

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
Cool video, I think I saw that one too.
I would have to assume the video used water soluble Gibb.
Through yesterday's research that is where I found out that GA3 is not soluble in H2O, but rather needs a carier, not dissmilar to using a drop of dish soap as a surfactant.

Now the after effects are what I worry about here.
Super stretchy seedlings that fall over and die.
He does not show this part but most likely that is what happened.
I don't know I sent him a PM with the question and whether he still recommends 100ppm? From my research 100ppm is the correct ratio for popping seeds

I suggest to try 50 ppm instead, to me that is a lot of gibb!
Maybe try to rinse them faster to get rid of the gibb.
Normally I would do experiments but I don't have an unlimited supply of beans. As stated I have never had this occur before (damping off)

If you see they are going to over stretch, a bit of cytokinin may help slow things down.
Paclobutrazol is actually an anti-Gibb so to speak but I do not like recommending it.
I am a clean grower and don't believe in adding anything outside nutes to my dirt. If they go wacky, they go wacky. What do you want me to say :) If they don't survive, I didn't loose a damn thing and, more or less kept to keeping my grows clean.

shaggyballs

Veteran
Through yesterday's research that is where I found out that GA3 is not soluble in H2O, but rather needs a carier, not dissmilar to using a drop of dish soap as a surfactant.

I don't know I sent him a PM with the question and whether he still recommends 100ppm? From my research 100ppm is the correct ratio for popping seeds

Normally I would do experiments but I don't have an unlimited supply of beans. As stated I have never had this occur before (damping off)

I am a clean grower and don't believe in adding anything outside nutes to my dirt. If they go wacky, they go wacky. What do you want me to say :) If they don't survive, I didn't loose a damn thing and, more or less kept to keeping my grows clean.

Remember when we were friends...LOL
Maybe some day again?

How did this turn out in the end?

Wow, can you imagine that, I just noticed it is our 1 year anniversary.....:party: