What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cannabis Seed Storage

acespicoli

Intro
1708563011350.png

Plants 2022, 11(16), 2127; https://doi.org/10.3390/plants11162127
1708226895480.png

DOI:10.3389/fpls.2020.00645
1708227068049.png

1708227912507.png

1707964824605.png

seed

pollen

reversals

The topic I want to discuss is seed saving
and storage of strictly cannabis seeds.

As of 2019 best information available tells us:

Hemp is possibly one of the earliest plants to be cultivated.
Cannabis has been cultivated in Japan since the pre-Neolithic period,
for its fibres and as a food source, and possibly as a psychoactive material.
An archeological site in the Oki Islands near Japan contained cannabis achenes
from about 8000 BC, probably signifying use of the plant.

Hopefully with this information we will be able to save seeds for many more years to come!

picture.php

:plant grow:

EDITED TO ADD INDEX TO THREAD FOR QUICK SEARCH OF INFO
  1. HARVESTING CLEANING PREPARING SEED FOR STORAGE
  2. SEED MOISTURE CONTENT
  3. BEST SEED STORAGE MEDIA GLASS AND METAL BUT WHY
  4. SOUS VIDE SEED STERILIZATION AND OTHER ORGANIC SEED TREATMENTS
  5. SEED GERMINATION
  6. EMBRYO RESCUE
  7. FEMINIZED SEED PRODUCTION
  8. MALE POLLEN STORAGE METHODS AND DURATION'S
  9. EXTENDED SEED STORAGE AND PROVIDING PROPER CONDITIONS FOR LONGEVITY
There have been many good posts in this thread
After spending years on this subject its been my observation that to each their own
By that I mean you may have different storage needs based on what your goals are…
For short term plastic is fine 1-2 years

microscopic structure of plastic more of a weave
(the reason this is not a long term storage option is because plastic is permeable )
If you ever smell dank in plastic even triple wrapped it dont stop odor
Same bud in non permeable glass and metal lids top notch for a few years
Go with ampoules sterile cotton and bentonite clay in the fridge for the win
image1280×1280 15.8 KB

This requires a torch to seal and break to open,
You can learn alot from this book
1c1a6a1f821651851d81bccd693f2370a8c0fcb8.svg
Wiley.com
48d1e7c9c7a36b51bfc38f814bb66942502cddc0.jpeg

The Wiley Encyclopedia of Packaging Technology, 3rd Edition

The complete and authoritative guide to modern packaging technologies —updated and expanded From A to Z, The Wiley Encyclopedia of Packaging Technology, Third Edition covers all aspects of packaging technologies essential to the food and...

The pelican box and the glass vials with metal caps very good recommendations
As well as glass ampules torch sealed
Take note bottom left corner steel aluminum glass
Ideal moisture content (MC) is 8% for hemp seed storage

Agricultural Science Procedia 5 ( 2015 ) 170 – 176

1693487282121.png

1693487302987.png

Loss on drying​

The classic laboratory method of measuring high-level moisture in solid or semi-solid materials is loss on drying.[4] In this technique, a sample of material is weighed, heated in an oven for an appropriate period, cooled in the dry atmosphere of a desiccator, and then reweighed. If the volatile content of the solid is primarily water, the loss on drying technique gives a good measure of moisture content.[5] Because the manual laboratory method is relatively slow, automated moisture analysers have been developed that can reduce the time necessary for a test from a couple of hours to just a few minutes. These analysers incorporate an electronic balance with a sample tray and surrounding heating element. Under microprocessor control, the sample can be heated rapidly. The moisture loss rate is measured throughout the process and then plotted in the form of a drying curve.[6]

The hemp seed moisture content is typically between 15-20 % at the time of harvest and the final moisture content for storage and pressing should be below 10%. Ideally 8%
Seeds are heated at prescribed temperatures for prescribed times, and all weight loss is considered to be moisture. Weighing samples before and after drying provides the data for calculation of moisture content.

Montmorillonite Clay is a naturally occurring porous adsorbent. The mined clay is activated for use as a desiccant through careful drying. This clay will successfully regenerate for repeated use at very low temperatures without substantial deterioration or swelling. However, this property causes clay to give up moisture readily back into the container as temperatures rise. Clay is inexpensive and effective within normal temperature and relative humidity ranges (Table 1). Some variation in performance can be seen due to its source as a naturally occurring material.

Silica gel is a partially dehydrated form of polymeric colloidal silicic acid. Silica gel has an amorphous micro-porous structure with a distribution of pore opening sizes of roughly 3-60 angstroms. These interconnected pores form a vast surface area that will attract and hold water by adsorption and capillary condensation, allowing silica gel to adsorb up to 40% of its weight in water. Silica gel is extremely efficient at temperatures below 77°F (25°C) (see Figures 1 and 2), but will lose some of its adsorbing capacity as temperatures begin to rise, much like clay (Figure 3). Much of silica gel's popularity is due to its non-corrosive, nontoxic nature and its having received US government approval for use in food and drug packaging.

Cannabis seeds at 8% Moisture Content do not mush when squeezed they shatter

Last edited:

romanoweed

Ther has been old Palm Tree Seeds found wich where:::: 2000 years old! here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judean_date_palm
It was found in a Barring site of a King there in Africa. Eventually conserved?????????? I thought we could eventually learn from how they where stored! Eventaly you can use balsam, or what the Heck..Cause coolingsytems re way more coplicated stressful method. You dont want the Seeds in your kitchen right.. I would like to know how these Palm seeds were stored. I mean 2000 Years!!!!!! They were sproted in 2005 and made Children!
We should read into this case i think. No time right now, but i may doo that later
Peace

acespicoli

with tissue culture the brought back 32000 year old frozen plant here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silene_stenophylla more lucrative, but i think 2000 years is enough, and i wanna make this dooable, so im more interestet in the electricity free Storage method

Doing research for this article I had just read that too, can you imagine that with cannabis seeds haha really impressive longevity there!

The thing I do with seeds so far is

Harvest seed from healthy plants
Clean seed as much as possible
Label seed
Dry seeds internal moisture content
Package seed for storage
Store seeds
Prepare seeds for germination

* Im going to go over each detail with more information
Anyone feel free to add you methods, concerns and or hacks along the way!

Last edited:

acespicoli

Basic Points in Seed Storage
Storage Jars

Seeds require a cool and dry location in which to be best stored. Temperature and humidity fluctuations are seeds' worst enemies.
The most vigorous seeds at harvest time will keep the longest in storage. (As a principal we only sell the brands that have the most vigorous seeds.)
Improperly dried seeds can deteriorate drastically over time. (The seeds we sell have been dried properly before they are packaged and you only need to store them in a cool, low moisture environment for optimum preservation).
Bags and jars should be clearly labelled at time of storage with strain name, date and other relevant information about the strain you are preserving.

Moisture
Silica Gel Half Gram BagSeeds carry on life processes, at a low rate, whilst dormant. Moisture they absorb from the air combines with stored nourishment within the seed to form a soluble food, which then combines with oxygen from the air to release water and heat. Too much moisture in the air will cause the seed to burn up its stored food too quickly producing excess heat which will further lower the seeds ability to germinate. The need is to keep these exchanges to a minimum during storage to prolong life in the seed.

6-9% moisture is ideal for long term storage of hemp seeds. A test for moisture levels shows that hard shelled seeds like hemp seeds shatter instead of mashing at around 8% moisture when placed on concrete and struck with a hammer.

Silica gel, often used in the drying of seeds, can also be used to help maintain stable moisture levels within a permanent storage container. Equal weights of silica gel to seed are used. In general hemp seeds weigh between 0.01 and 0.02 grams and our silica gel sachets contain 0.5g. We recommend seeds are kept in aluminium zip-lock bags and stored inside seed jars along with the correct amount of silica gel to maintain low moisture levels. Be aware that you can seriously damage seeds by reducing moisture levels too much, so do not use too much dessicant. Silica gel, aluminium zip-lock bags and seed jars are all available to buy from our Seed Storage section.

Temperature
Seeds can survive temperatures that would kill the parent plant as long as they are thoroughly dried. Excess moisture in seeds that are then frozen can potentially freeze, damaging the seed.

Seeds need to be stored in a cool or cold place. Therefore, locations at floor level are preferable to those nearer the ceiling which can be significantly warmer. However, for long term storage, placing seeds in the fridge or freezer is ones best bet, as long as moisture content of the seed and storage container is low and the container is air-tight. The ideal temperature in a refrigerator is around 40F.

A freezer is best for long-term storage of seeds although you need to make sure:

You do not take the seeds out too much or for long enough for the temperature change to affect the seeds.
When you want to remove seeds from the freezer, you leave the container closed whilst the seeds warm to room temperature or otherwise condensation will form on the seeds.

Light
Similar to moisture and temperature, light can help stimulate and support the germination process. And, just as many foods, pharmaceuticals and chemicals rapidly deteriorate when exposed to light, so also is seed viability and vigour affected by being exposed to light during storage.

Seed Storage Problems
Mildew/Mould
Seeds which have not been dried to the correct moisture content before being sealed in containers, can and frequently do rot. A simple test: after "drying" and placing in closed glass jars, the appearance of condensation on the inside of the jar within a few hours indicates the need for further drying. Silica gel should help with this.

Insects
Insects that may have escaped notice can wreak havoc on stored seeds. A few pinches of diatomaceous earth (DE) is a safe, inexpensive and non-toxic way of protecting seeds against insect damage. It doesn't take much; just be sure to lightly coat all seeds before final sealing and storage. DE is available at most garden centres.

Rodents
Seeds which are not stored in glass or metal can provide a veritable banquet for mice and other small vermin. Make sure all seeds are kept in well labeled metal or glass containers.

Info provided by SM on cannabis seed storage

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's super simple yo...

Take your seeds and place them in a dark air tight container and then place that container in a refrigerator that is temp controlled to 4 degrees Centigrade.

Your seeds, stored under those conditions, will last for years.

But because I don't have a lab refrigerator I place my seeds in an ammo can and keep the can in a cool dry place. I just popped some SSSDH from Rez so the storage method must be working.

Dog Star

Veteran
Refrigerator works best.. freezer is only good if you think for very long to keep
some genetics,if you take out every now and then seeds out then freezer is your
worst enemy..

freezer is great for polen keeping..

those plastic boxes that you can made vacum when you put things inside works great,
use one bigger where you can put smaller one with your seeds,both double sealead
and your seeds will stay long fresh..

acespicoli

It's super simple yo...

Take your seeds and place them in a dark air tight container and then place that container in a refrigerator that is temp controlled to 4 degrees Centigrade.

Your seeds, stored under those conditions, will last for years.

But because I don't have a lab refrigerator I place my seeds in an ammo can and keep the can in a cool dry place. I just popped some SSSDH from Rez so the storage method must be working.

picture.php

MjPassion, :wave: lol You find any rez v3 in there?

What are the oldest seeds you have germinated and what % grew ?
Just interested because like you said, its not difficult to save seed.
Oldest I have germinated are probably 7 years old.

Busto

I have more than 40 bagseeds in a old " Marlboro " aluminium pack all collected in the last 5 years. A month and a half ago I tried to germinate one of them, it did with no problems. Directly in soil.

Maybe it was found some months ago, maybe some years... who knows.
BTW I store them in this pack and put it somewhere near my desk, on a pile of old CDs.

I can try to do a germination test sampling the ugliest looking ones, or do you guys suggest a better option to choose them ?

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
I'm bad to not properly store seeds. I had over 2k or more worth of Rez, Kryptonite, Paradise, Dutch Passion and stopped growing during a divorce and it was almost a decade before I started back. Well needless to say last year I decide to start back and I couldn't get nothing to germ. Ive got a tin ive been keeping stuff in bad would like to have a refrigerator. I dunno but I swear I thought I remember a guy that said he stored them in his regular refrigerator in a jar with his food and stuff.....I don't know if that would be to cold or long as they didn't freeze would be viable, but im not sure about that

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
View Image

MjPassion, :wave: lol You find any rez v3 in there?

What are the oldest seeds you have germinated and what % grew ?
Just interested because like you said, its not difficult to save seed.
Oldest I have germinated are probably 7 years old.

I'm not sure what Rez V3 is. Is it a phenotype I should be looking for?

I'm also unsure what the oldest seeds I've germed are. Maybe those Rez beans. but I don't know how old those are either. I got them as freebies from the bou/bay and do not know when they were produced. Maybe someone else can answer that question.

As far as germ rate goes... I started with 16 seeds and now have 14 small plants. :biggrin:

acespicoli

That old Sour Diesel v3 cut.

Super Silver Sour Diesel Haze
Super Silver Haze x Sour Diesel IBL

Seems no one has it anymore except a few breeders are tightly holding it.
Hortilab uses it in their super sour skunk.

This is The Original Sour Diesel, now available for anyone, not just a well-connected few, to grow... and it's My Pleasure bringing it to you, the Informed Grower.

Winner, High Times Plant of the Year, 2005
Multiple-Winner, IC Magazine Cup, 2005

More Sour Diesel steps:

Sour Diesel BX 1.5:
Sour Diesel Clone X Sour Diesel / Soma's NYC Diesel. The flowertime will average 65-70 days, those of you who have the itch to grow sativa-doms in hydro will cut this time by 15%.

Item description: Sour Diesel BX 2.5
The second Sour Diesel backcross. The males used (seven) insure diversity in the BX,they were chosen for their traits that best resembled their Sour Diesel Clone Mother. Sour Diesel rightly deserves its' Premiere Reputation as some of the World's Finest herb, grow it yourself and see why!
Flowering: 80 days; Yield: 800+ grams per KW.

Sour Diesel v 3 (ECSD v3):
One more step in bringing you the perfect East Coast Sour Diesel mom for your garden. The best and most stable line yet.

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Consistent 90% germination on 10 to 12 year old seed, just stored in a mason jar with some desiccant in standard fridge, not the freezer.

Yea I wish I stored them correctly back then, does anybody know if it's ok to use your regular fridge? I'm not sure even what mines set on but im pretty sure as cold as it'll go. It's not super cold, just cold enough to keep your pop cold.

acespicoli

picture.php

This is similar to the thermometer that I have, mine is set at 38F in the regular fridge
Also have a mini fridge they run around $200
you would need to save a lot of seed to justify that expense

Iowa Grown

Heck pot seeds have lived through at least a 100 million ice ages, where most places on earth are covered over by huge glaciers that take roughly 40,000 - 70,000 years to melt so they can survive pretty much anywhere. But because I know that one thing I also know that any dark and cold place is the perfect place to store all your best pot seeds. Heck, I store all my pot seeds in those old screw-on 35MM film canisters in the cellar of my old house built in 1749, and I pop 30+ year old pot seeds that are stored in that cellar without much troubles all the time!!! Sure I don't always get 100%, but there is no such thing as 100% anything, so if (1) don't pop I germinate another one... It sort of like that Jimmi song... if that baby don't love me no more,
I know her sister will, LoL!

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
View Image

This is similar to the thermometer that I have, mine is set at 38F in the regular fridge
Also have a mini fridge they run around $200
you would need to save a lot of seed to justify that expense

Well ive got one in my fridge, I believe I'll put them in the back in a container of some kind, I'll try to find a air tight container and put them in.....my fridge is like 38 40ish.

Latest posts

Latest posts