What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Does type of strain matter with edibles?

StinkyGreen

I visited a recreational dispensary last week and was blown away by the variety of edibles available. However none of them specified what strain they were made from. I asked the "budtender" about this and he said it's because the high is the same for edibles due to the way cannabinoids are processed by your body when eaten, vs when smoked. Is there any truth to this?

I've made several batches of edibles from different strains in the past, and I definitely found the high to vary between them. But it's possible that this was due to variations in my cooking technique.

Anyone have any experience with this?

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
Yes. On the extreme end of it. Couchlock strains over indulged can result in not being able to move or wake up. More up or trippy strains over indulged can lead to what might look to some as a schizophrenic episode.

G

GatorGumbo

Yea, everything that has been said here so far is true. If you do your own cooking with it then you might develop a favourite based on different dishes you can make, but that's less often the consideration compared to the effects.

Once I made brownies that turned my legs into noodles and I could hardly walk for half an hour. It was serious shit, edibles can be a double-edged sword.

Lyfespan

this question has a lot of open ended variables, you need to know what factors are being created?

yes is the overall answer. what did you mean by 'matter"?

different cannabinoids process differently. need to look up heat conversion on cannabinoids, and know the actual levels in said cannabis to be used.

Hydro8

Yes. the strain does matter with edibles. I have had bags of stuff I didn't like that much so I made edibles with them I didn't like them as edibles ether.

Edibles are a different high for me but much of the same qualities as smoked or vaped. The thing that is difficult about edibles the effects can be much stronger and take a lot longer to wear off..

Tangwena

Veteran
I only chew fermented bud not make edibles but the range of effects is the same as smoking. Each strain or plant is different so it does matter.
Different strains for vastly different effects.

Lyfespan

I only chew fermented bud not make edibles but the range of effects is the same as smoking. Each strain or plant is different so it does matter.
Different strains for vastly different effects.

does fermentation cleve that carbon atom to make it active?

'Boogieman'

I know edibles are kicking my ass when I can't play GTA 5 online what so ever. I do get different effects from different buds but never had a "sativa" buzz from edibles.

PDX Dopesmoker

Both the strain and the cooking technique effect the quality of inebriation, if you want to figure out the terrains of how it all works for yourself try cooking the same stuff for different amounts of time or at different temperatures. The intact THCA fucks with you in ways you might notice if you "undercook" and the THC turning into other chemicals. THCA works with serotonin receptors if I'm remember what I read years ago correctly. Nobody really knows what the terps do to you, if anything, but theres a lot of people who'll tell you that they do, some of those folks might have some good ideas, but good luck figuring out which one.

PDX Dopesmoker

Fermentation probably makes a more powerful edible if it has the power to do the decarbing without destroying any THC. All the heat processes that turn THCA to THC seem to involve either a loss of some THC or incomplete decarbing of what THCA was there.

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
I asked the "budtender" about this and he said it's because the high is the same for edibles due to the way cannabinoids are processed by your body when eaten, vs when smoked. Is there any truth to this?

There is truth to the way in which your body processing it is different between ingesting vs smoking it, but the high is not the same for all edibles, the same way it is with smoking.

Strain, length of flowering, and even the specific plant/clone all factor in. Not to mention the temperature and length of time the edibles are cooked/baked.

My guess on the budtender's answer to your question is either they have no clue what they're talking about or they can't give you an honest answer cause they have no idea what bud was used in the edibles.

I wouldn't be surprised if commercially produced edibles are made from the scraps and trimmings of a variety of different strains, while all the top shelf buds are sold as the labeled varieties. Kind of like you know a strip steak or filet mignon when you get one, but God only knows what's in the hotdog or hamburger meat.

shawkmon

Pleasantly dissociated
Veteran
lol u listened to the budtender(this strand tastes real sativa )
, in general most people are morons , yes strain matters, do not , I repeat don't over do the sativa edibles lol its the trippy weed drugs for sure

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I have found strain does NOT make a difference [JME, YMMV]. At least in the way I make edibles.

I believe decarbing has more influence on the final effect than the strain you start with. Over-decarb and you have sleepy time CBN, no matter what you started with. Under-decarb and you have another set of problems.

And, let's not forget that some terps are water soluble so depending on how you cook and decarb, you're loosing some terps.

Overall, I have found that he best way to determine the final effect of your edibles is to add back the appropriate terps.

I always add a little Myrcene to assist with boiavailability. Otherwise, I add the terps I want whether it be party edibles or pain edibles or sleepy time edibles. There was a thread a while back with OzzieAI and WaterFamSomething discussing this in more detail. Worked great for me.

Sunshineinabag

Strains!? That's mold classification. If your referring to the cultivars (plants) then I am following along under those parameters

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
*SNIP
I wouldn't be surprised if commercially produced edibles are made from the scraps and trimmings of a variety of different strains, while all the top shelf buds are sold as the labeled varieties. Kind of like you know a strip steak or filet mignon when you get one, but God only knows what's in the hotdog or hamburger meat.
That right there :tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts