What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Guitar playing

Betterhaff

Veteran
That is good stuff. I went and saw John Mclaughlin and Chick Corea a few years ago…I couldn’t keep my socks up.

chronosync

Well-stoned member
Oh boy I didn't know those guys are still kicking it. Two of the best fusion players IMO. What a treat!

If anyones real into fusion, youve got to check out the band, Marbin, from Israel, awesome band and insanely awesome and polite guys with great stories. Shreddy Roselvelt for sure.

chronosync

Well-stoned member
Amazing control and phrasing, cool techniques. like Clapton said, you wouldn't know what he is doing unless you watch very very closely

WelderDan

Veteran
I've got a nice Ibanez Acoustic/electric, an Ibanez Semi-hollow electric, Ibanez RGTHRG1 H.R. Giger model, and an ESP MH-301. And one I built using a Carvin thru-body neck and mahogany wings. Got a Blue Voodoo 60 watt amp running thru a Marshall 2x12 cab.

I have neuropathy in my pick hand due to some F'd up disc's in my neck and I more or less quit playing for a few years. My buddies have a pretty good band and I recently started hanging with them and started playing again

Rudedewd

I started playing after a motorcycle accident when I was 39. that was in 1993 so yup i'm old. After a few years I switched over to bass for quite a few years because nobody else in our garage band wanted to play bass. about three years ago I switched back to guitar, i still play with the same dudes that I did for years but we all play guitar now. We don't play out anymore anyhoo, bars stay open too late for our ancient asses. I'm not really a great player but I have fun and music is my therapy, that and smoking a lot of pot. I like playing with my bros but I also love just hanging home alone smoking pot and playing the blues. I don't know how playing the blues can make you feel so good but it does especially if you eat a cookie and smoke a bowl or three. Right now I'm just hanging home getting stoned waiting for a bro to pick me up to jam with the boys and get mucho stondicated. All I wanted to say is enjoy your music and your voice, it doesn't matter if you are great or if you suck like me as long as you can express yourself.

GoatCheese

Veteran
I started learning guitar a couple years ago. I found a guitar at my friends, and I asked her if i could fix it. She said yes. So I restrung it, and she signed me up for an online guitar class. I guess I sounded worse than I thought. I finished that class, did ok. I went out on my own and found a few teachers on the internet on Youtube. I like Blues and rock, Jimmi Hendrix, Stevie ray Vaughn, BB King, and a few others. I have since bought a Epiphobne Blues box, acoustic/electric, a Les Paul Epiphone, and a Fender Stratocaster. I got the two electrics I got used and cheap, and fixed them up and they sound real nice now. Does anyone else play?

namaste

Check out Robben Ford's Blues/jazz videos on YouTube, if you already haven't

I never share this video but I feel pretty comfortable here, so I thought I would share a video of me playing a few Opeth and Necrophagist covers live:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbQQFiJRufE

I have played for a long time and am getting back into it - learning some Queen right now which is a lot more challenging then I originally thought it would be. I freeking love Queen!

Bobby Boucher

I play me the shit outa some acoustic guitar. Below is the latest piece I've been trying to cover, inspired by the walking dead cast. Shit has plagued me for a year now. The level of finger strength required to get any volume from the strings with this song is just f'n maddening.

For anybody interested, I have ~1500 dollars of candy rat tablature that I don't feel too bad about passing around.

https://youtu.be/hn5lnO5tMbc

Last edited:

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I play me the shit outa some acoustic guitar. Below is the latest piece I've been trying to cover, inspired by the walking dead cast. Shit has plagued me for a year now. The level of finger strength required to get any volume from the strings with this song is just f'n maddening.

For anybody interested, I have ~1500 dollars of candy rat tablature that I don't feel too bad about passing around.

That was amazing video. U must play very well, master level honestly, to even attempt it.

Bobby Boucher

Jack of all and master of none. I've been playing my heart out sometimes 12-18 hours a day til the walls start to collapse in for way way way too long to only be as good as I am. I'm lucky if I can play any of the music I study all the way through. Very rare occurrence. Plus I can't write for shit. What's it worth if all I can do is cover other people's music anyways? I can mimick most of what I hear but I don't have a creative bone in my body. :(

:woohoo:that was excellent!

been listening to your stuff for about an hour now - really blown away man it's very nice to study too! been looking for some new stuff too :D

you are very talented my friend.

Last edited:
Jack of all and master of none. I've been playing my heart out sometimes 12-18 hours a day til the walls start to collapse in for way way way too long to only be as good as I am. I'm lucky if I can play any of the music I study all the way through. Very rare occurrence. Plus I can't write for shit. What's it worth if all I can do is cover other people's music anyways? I can mimick most of what I hear but I don't have a creative bone in my body. :(

I bet you could write some man! you never just jam out?? like a freestyle lol

- record some jam sessions where you just play

Bobby Boucher

I try, man. I just can't write. It all feels subpar and plagiarized, not to mention I'd never believe in a million years that I'd have that creativity to begin with. Blessed with too many other things to just.. up and pull good music out of my ass.

FWIW, you can buy the tabs in guitar pro format at $5 a pop and play it through at any tempo. It's kinda ironic how much of the magic is removed once you take a look at the tabs and translate it all into muscle memory. Your fingers only want to move in so many ways, especially at those speeds. It's not magic.

I think its goofy that people assume I am some sort of musical savant just because of the style of guitar I play. I can fake my way through a lot of beautiful compositions, but I'd rather face a firing squad than have to write or improvise or play for an audience. That being said, I don't even consider myself a real musician. Considering I don't share my music or play with/for others, it's more of a masturbatory thing for me than it is a dream or an ambition.

Glad you enjoyed it though. Makes me happy too.