What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pink floyd.....Epic

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Never caught Floyd at a show , but i've seen Waters a couple times . always has been , & always will be .... one of my very favorite bands .
i could get into stories about partying & floyd on the stereo ....but i'm to baked to even care to type out that much :)

comfortably numb gets my vote for most listened to Floyd song in my youth :kos:

bigAl25

Veteran
I'm 62 and never got to see Pink Floyd in concert. For all of you in the same situation the cover band Britt Floyd came to our town. Big Joe, his wife, my wife and myself went to see them perform. If you closed your eyes they played the whole Dark Side of the Moon album note for note. vocals right on. They were wonderful. For all who missed them in person, please do yourself a favor and see Britt Floyd in person. Wonderful show and eat some cannabis cookies beforehand. Peace and respect growers.

Eighths-n-Aces

Veteran
did pink floyd ever do a bad song?

fearless from the album meddle is one of my favorites. my list of favorites is long

N

noyd666

the names pink Floyd came from two blues musicians that were named pink Anderson and Floyd council, original band name was called TEA SET LOL. SYD BARRETT changed the name to PINK FLOYD= SO IT SAID. HAVE A CIGAR.

Last edited:

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Got DSOTM on vinyl on its release and wore it out within a year , cannot imagine how many times I have listened to it since over the decades but it is still as rewarding and uplifting today.

Few albums have stood the test of time so well as a whole , in fact I can think of none , CD,s have the ability to easily skip the filler tracks on most but not needed here.

One of few that cross generations , my children and grandchildren also appreciate its quality and its not marooned in time like so many other classic albums.

The cover also makes a good backdrop to show its not been photoshoped , and most homes will have a copy.

B

bench warmer

"Obscured By Clouds".
It's the soundtrack to a Babet Schroeder movie entitled, "The Village".
It was released just prior to DSOTM. I love the album & find it interesting that it remains so obscured by their subsequent releases.

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Forgot to mention The Dub Side Of The Moon , a reggae version of Darkside.

I reckon its pretty good , might seem a strange idea but it works well.

Worth downing.

Dub Side of the Moon is a dub reggae tribute to the Pink Floyd album, The Dark Side of the Moon, co-produced by Easy Star All-Stars founder's Michael G (Michael Goldwasser) and Ticklah (Victor Axelrod). Dub Side of the Moon has remained on the Billboard Reggae Charts since its release in 2003. Included with the liner notes are instructions on how to synchronize the album with the 1939 film The Wizard of Oz and produce a variation of the perceived "Dark Side of the Rainbow" effect. The album has sold over 85,000 copies thus far and Easy Star All-Stars have been regularly touring in support of the album.

Attachments

• dub.jpg
    dub.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 22

Ph-patrol

Veteran
Richard Wright

Richard Wright

Richard passed away september 2008.He was a founding member and shall be mist.

He was a big part of there magic

the gnome

Veteran
so much good stuff in the floyds music.....
Ive tripped on the fungi and wore out all my vinyl albums...
they were the 1st and still are the ultimate music to expand your mind on.
a lot of the earlier stuff is passed over
albums and songs
meddle....
arnold layne,
uma guma
careful with that axe.... one day,
eugene may cut you into little pieces
saucer full of secrets
set the controls for the heart of the sun
astronomy domine

DSOTM... and beyond!
gilmores on an island tour shows he has like fine wine only gotten better with age!

visit Grantchester meadows, the ultimate grasslands for the fertile mind to graze...

"Icy wind of night be gone this is not your domain"
In the sky a bird was heard to cry.
Misty morning whisperings and gentle stirring sounds
Belied the deathly silence that lay all around.

Hear the lark and harken to the barking of the dog fox
Gone to ground.
See the splashing of the kingfisher flashing to the water.
And a river of green is sliding unseen beneath the trees
Laughing as it passes through the endless summer
Making for the sea.

In the lazy water meadow I lay me down.
All around me golden sun flakes settle on the ground.
Basking in the sunshine of a bygone afternoon
Bringing sounds of yesterday into this city room.

Hear the lark harken to the barking of the dark fox
Gone to ground.
And a river of green is sliding unseen beneath the trees.

In the lazy water meadow I lay me down.
All around me golden sun flakes covering the ground.
Basking in the sunshine of a bygone afternoon
Bringing sounds of yesterday into this city room.

Hear the lark harken to the barking of the dark fox
Gone to ground.
And a river of green is sliding unseen beneath the trees,
Laughing as it passes through the endless summer making for the sea.

live Grantchester Meadows

Ph-patrol

Veteran
ummagumma Art work

ummagumma Art work

Thanks Gnome

That is a really nice share we all loved. Grantchester meadows is very peaceful melody that I found to be mesmerizing. I loved it.

Here is some art work that some one did of the album cover.

the gnome

Veteran
can't see the art work ph?
running across this thread got the PF juices bubbling again so to say
and comment on the some stuff I've had very positive, powerful experiences with.
like Grantchester Meadows, there are so many PF tunes in that grouping.

since i posted this Ive found tons of floyd stuff on PS3 u tube and immersed my self into old bootlegs and interviews and found the brit floyd PF tribute band and managed to score a seat for an up coming show very soon :)
i kick myself still not catching the last tour with gilmore and wright and sadly, very sadly richard wright is no longer alive

but can't wait to see this show!

Gry

Dealing with a new install of unbutu and can't do the videos right now, sure wish I could . I have been real lucky a couple of times in life , one was with tickets to Floyd. I had been wait in line at the Tyson's corner mall for tickets to Zappa .Just as I had got my change back , the next widow opened and the girl said , "Tickets now going on sale for Pink Floyd ". One step to my left, I had enough to get 3 seats center front .
I was fortunate in being able to see them several times - some how I missed the dark side tour though .
Real unrelated , but the hardest show I ever sat through was when I went to go see ZZ Top. They had this new band I had never heard of opening for them , Kiss. To this day, the mere mention of them still generates irritation for me .
In later years a dear friend and i used to do a bit of caving, and sure did enjoy the Floyd deep underground .
One more , back in the early eighties , there was a real nice person who was the organ master in National Cathedral who was also a fan of early Floyd . Practice time is in the weee early hours. I was fortunate and my timing was good . The thought of it still evokes the shivers , the quality of audio in that structure is unlike any where else I have ever been.

Gry

I would be hard pressed to name my favourite album by them, but I loved the name used for the album " A nice Pair" .

Latest posts

Latest posts