What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

To anyone who likes the Grateful Dead

cjunkie

Now anyone who knows anything about the Dead knows that they were the house band at Winterland in San Fran. One of my favorite live Dead CD's is the Closing of Winterland. Well I was watching PBS the other day(couchlock makes me do some lame shit) and I stumbled upon a great DVD for any stoner. Even if you don't like the Dead pick up the Closing of Winterland DVD. It is the original concert that aired on some TV station out there(sorry I am too young to remember) but the beauty of it is that they took the original 24 track recordering and turned it into a BEAUTIFUL 5.1 digital recording. It is great for a rainy saturday where all you have/want to do is enjoy good music and relax. Check it out
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000C5090/102-7640281-5737709?v=glance

wisc2

Good thread, caught the dead twice in the late 80's. Long beach and Aneiheim. All weekend events. Even sold falafels after a show to buy a sheet to take home. Still have scar on my leg from sneaking in and running from security. (only had a ticket 4 1 show). Ahhhh, the memories....

cjunkie

Like I said...I am too young to have gone to any shows...I am more part of the widespread/phish era but I love jam bands. But yeah man The Dead are gods

cjunkie

No Problem Grat3fulH3ad checked out your gallery...nice buds bro...I am working on scanning all my old pics...

B

baccas125

i saw that also

i saw that also

did you catch the name of the onpening act? FYI The Blues brothers open that show. Jerry and John B. Became freinds when The Dead Appeared ON SNL.

bleak

i've actually just turned myself onto the dead along with phish...some nice music to just sit back and jam out to. ill be sure to check the site out

does Ken Kesey make an appearance on that DVD? I remember watching some GD movie and Kesey shows up on a headful of acid saying something about how the dead are like the wind gently stroking the lightning out of the clouds....

pseudostelariae

yeaa it sucks for us younger people here who never got to see the dead live..thanks for the heads up! has anyone seen the darkstar orchestra? i can't compare to a live dead show but their shows make me understand perfectly why the dead had the following they do. :rasta:

B

Bubble Puppy

Dead

Dead

That sounds like a great show, i def gotta check that out.

LEGI0N

Ahhhh... I got to go to New Years Eve 89/90 when they busted out Dark Star on a free ticket.. I was 4 hits of liquid deep!! :D It was pretty crazy.. Some big old egg thing and bill ghram as some sort of tie dyed chicken.. when the time hit midnight the egg cracked and some kids dressed as 1990 came out..

Yeah, dead in the early 90's was really cool.

Last edited:

Verite

My little pony.. my little pony
Veteran
'90 was a good year. I think I saw them about a dozen times. The LA shows had some nice guests. Spencer Davis came out one night and did a Gimme Some Lovin and the next night Bob Dylan came out for a set and they pulled Monkey and the Engineer out of the vault.

Nothing was more fun than catching three shows over the weekend at Alpine Valley and camping out in tent city. One non-stop party. By the time it was done all you wanted was water and sleep, then make it to the next show.

alpinevalley1.jpg

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Alpine '88 was awesome!!!!! Dylan, then 2 days of the Dead, a day break, then 2 more days of the Dead!!! Driving to East Troy for beer and hitting creeks on the way back to the venue to cool down.

'89 was wet, but still lots of fun.

2002 Terrapin was a blast! 13 years later and Alpine Valley seemed unchanged.

LEGI0N

I did a lot of shoreline and cal expo in the summer and spring then oakland in the winter. Chinese New Years or 'farewell to the flesh' in the early spring.

Farmer John

Born to be alive.
Veteran
Those of us youngsters that didnt get to see Dead live, well, seen Phil Lesh & Friends onc in 00, Shoreline Amphitheater, Bob Dylan opened...was fantastic. New line-up is also great, I really enjoy PAF gigs they have a great thing going on just like Grateful Dead but not the same thing, sadly.

B

Bubble Puppy

The first show i ever went to was "87" "wave that flag" tour .I was 15 and went with some older kids.Bob Dylan was with them ,what an eye opening experience at that age ..Never been the same since ..lol

Mt Toaker

Have you ever heard of DarkStar Orchestra? I saw them at Dune Grass here in Michigan, its a music festival. Anywho they do all Dead covers and were awsome, not like the Dead was live I'm sure, but they had the good energy that a band needs to play all Dead covers.

KGB47

"It's just a flesh wound"
Veteran
Went to 78 shows spread out all over California, over many years. The Frost at Stanford, Henry J. Kaiser in Oakland, Grass Valley, Shoreline, way too many to remember.