What's new

OG style rep system

I was just thinking......why is there no %'age cultivation rep worked into the rep system?

I think it would be better because everyone could use and enjoy the rep system that way. That way....you know who knows their shit and who'se legit...and who hangs out in the den too much.

I know it's kind of offensice to the IC veterans because they always say "This isn't OG...we don't want to b like OG blah blah blah".....but I think this system would be beneficial to this forum.

I had 99% cultivation related karma at OG and I was more proud of that than my gigantic e-pecker. It actually pushed me to stay away from the den.

I dunno....I just think it would be better for everyone.

Tell me what ya think.

stretchpup

Give it a rest already.

Knowing who is legit based on a icon on an online cannabis forum is a pipe-dream.

You're making assumptions for "everyone" that your suggested method is what they (we?) actually want.

If I want to know if someone is legit I talk to them. That is even a risk, but gives a much greater indicator than pretty green dots.

Get lost ya miserable little blankity blank...2nd post of the thread and people are already talking shit.

For anyone else thats even remotely like this guy ^^^^....you're not welcome here.

This is a discussion for progress....this place has a rep system and it is currently flawed. Why not try to improve it?

I only stated my opinion of what I thought and made no assumptions what-so-ever.

It's quite simple, really...I'll keep it basic for you

Making a good post in a growing section + Giving rep for a good post = cultivation related reputation

Cultivation related reputation x 200 = A pretty reliable person in terms of giving advice to new people in the forum.

Here's an example for you....I'll keep this one basic for you too.

A newbie signs up and he/she has a problem with his/her plants....so he/she posts in the Infirmary.

Two people reply. Both have the same number of posts, same rep, let's say about 400 points, and registered at the same time.

Replier A has 100% grow related rep...and offers his opinion.

Replier B has 12% grow related rep..and offers his opinion. Different to that of Replier A.

Would this not help the newbie decide who would likely be the more credible person to give growing advice?

..I'll let you think about it.

Last edited:
of course not.....but the refusal to think and solve problems....and just give up is not welcome.

"oh....the rep system is fucked....that's it...just forget about it"

Lets not try to make it better.*sarcasm of the highest degree*

Remember...this isn't a thread about whether you like rep or not.....this is about making it a better system

Last edited:
G

I would like to make a point that this isn't only a grow forum its a forum where cannabis smokers can come and converse with people who have the same interests, the grow forum has one link with a few sub forums 80% of this site isn't meant to be grow related, I'm not trying to step on toes here but if you want to make public that your rep is based on your grow skillz put it on your location or something.

stretchpup

KharmaGirl: If you have an opinion let's hear it? Who said only one was welcome?

Trichomus, LOL.

Don't keep it basic on account of me.

My post is in no way talking shit... You have an opinion and so do hundreds of other people on these forums. Just because they aren't inline with each other makes everyone else ignorant huh?

Sproutco comes to mind here with your grade school example. A rep bar off the charts and not a single flower cycle (hell, or veg?) worth of cannabis growing expierence. How would that help the newbie?

The old "flawed" system and your super duper OG style system both fail in that regard. All systems are "flawed" - sounds like you're looking for a rep system as strong as a man's word in real life, and it's not going to happen.

So now I have to differentiate whether the rep is bullshit driven or gardening driven?

Que Sera Sera

Last edited:

KharmaGirl

~Resident Puck Bunny~
Veteran
Who said it's fucked? You and a few others? What about the thousands of members not complaining? It was never meant to be a perfect system. It was never meant to be a focus of the site. If they are going to work on areas of the site, I would hope it would be things that pertain to growing. I.E. Forums, articles, etc. The dots mean nada. I wonder how people got legitimate advice in the "old days"......before computers and l'il dots beside peoples names to (falsly) indiciate ones advice value?

stretchpup

Hey Trichomous- I wasn't attacking you or your post and have no grudge- Just a little tired of the worn out rep discussions.

I just read the Astrology for Growers thread. I think my moon is in the wrong phase.

stretch..no worries....I was offended for all of 2 minutes....no biggie bro.

spoutco didn't have rep off the charts...he didn't have any....and I wouldn't take the advice of anyone who solves problems by adding tree stump remover.

OGs system wasn't great either....but it was in a better direction with the cultivation related K....

KG...this technically is growing related because my intent with this is to make it easier for newbs to seperate the good advice from the bad.

But since noone is going to throw a motherfuckin bone my way and insist on arguing....it's up to me to start it off. Even if it means talking to myself.

For example, removing the ability to give more rep with higher bars(each hit is only 1 point)...that way circle jerks in the growing forums is reduced.

Ah....and what about having a little weed leaf icon underneath to indicate that you have actually finished and documents a full growing cycle on IC. This will add legitimacy as well.

Last edited:

BonsaiGrower

Occasional User
Most of my rep comes from the den I suppose. however, most again come from a reputable grower who is hanging out in the den. Sometimes I'll get rep for a nice grow shot and sometimes I get rep for a witty comment. sometimes it's just someone saying hi!...I look at it as Green Kharma Dots. Reputation is earned through time and respect I thought.

my 2 cents
Peace
BG

KharmaGirl

~Resident Puck Bunny~
Veteran
Who's arguing? None of us. just our opinion is different then yours, so you seem to think we are trying to be confrontational. We aren't.

Guest423

Veteran
TrichomusCaesar said:
Ah....and what about having a little weed leaf icon underneath to indicate that you have actually finished and documents a full growing cycle on IC. This will add legitimacy as well.

that would be cool...i wouldn't mind a little weed leaf icon.

bartender187

Bakin in da Sun
Veteran
If it aint broke why fix it?

Ive been on here since 04 I still dont know how to check my own rep... I don't see the point in adding what you call adding "legitimacy" to ppl... We are all growers. The mods got their tags, thats all that matters. if your worried about discerning the true information from the disinformation then just take what everyone says with a grain of salt, then doubt it some more... always works for me.

Don't get me wrong, your ideas aren't bad, but do we really need more fluff?
my .02
bartender187

bartender187 said:

Ive been on here since 04 I still dont know how to check my own rep... I don't see the point in adding what you call adding "legitimacy" to ppl... We are all growers. The mods got their tags, thats all that matters. if your worried about discerning the true information from the disinformation then just take what everyone says with a grain of salt, then doubt it some more... always works for me.

Don't get me wrong, your ideas aren't bad, but do we really need more fluff?
my .02
bartender187

But I think it is broken, personally....when people on the forum post "The little dots mean absolutely nothing" then it is broken because the dots were designed so that they mean something.

Think of my ideas from a newbie's point of view......pretend you just started growing....and then think about what I'm trying to get at...it may make more sense that way.

...I know I'm just wasting my breath...in the end, we're all stoners...the people who mod this place are stoners and the people who own this place are stoners.....nothing will be accomplished around here.

The problem is that the majority think from the experienced grower's point of view....rather than the view of the guy who can't even get a germination done without some sort of problem. <The dots were designed to help this guy, not to stroke our own ego's.

tuttlebudd

Nice one V!!

Nice one V!!

I agree... it'd be nice I dont post much here... OR other places... on OG I was only a VERY FEW points from having my first FULL bar(tiny but I was proud)..all 100% grow related.... nowdays I just sit around... do nothing and dream of what it would be like to know how to grow....and FANTASIZE what it'd be like to actually grow... :D you know what I mean.. :canabis: It took me awhile to get used to being here... I HAVE grown to like it and MOST of the people here.. I still miss my bud's over on OG along with MANY of the add on's available... Good to see everyone..
tutt

KharmaGirl

~Resident Puck Bunny~
Veteran
I thought rep was originally designed merely as a fun addition to the site. A way to say "I agree/disagree", not to represent ones knowledge base/cultivation knowledge. Over time I think it's been skewed to represent growing knowledge.

*here's a thought........... Cultivation websites that don't use the karma/rep feature: Is the advice dispensed there any less valuable or trustworthy?

Last edited:

tuttlebudd

bartender187 said:

Ive been on here since 04 I still dont know how to check my own rep... I don't see the point in adding what you call adding "legitimacy" to ppl... We are all growers.bartender187
It would be nice if we were... AND if we were all competent growers there would be NO NEED for the "hospital".... MANY have NO IDEAL what they are doing... and 10 fold wouldnt know a cannabis seed from an orange pit.... I feel that lending some legitimacy to those that truely KNOW what they're doing would be nice.... how would YOU like to have a problem... get some advice and GACK... you grow dies... (all 49 moms)... only to find that you got advice from a 12yr old w/free reign of the computer??? TAD different I would assume... I've had issues in the past ... as have most.. but at current am dialed in to the point I dont HAVE to go check more than a couple times a week... I do.. because I WANT to..and love what I do and the pretty ladies I take care of.
tutt