What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cloning with JJScorpio

G

I think whats more interesting... but less proof...

Is folks believe that high phos helps rooting....

Personally once they have roots they need phos but I dont think it helps at all for cloning...

As a side note.... I have never let my cloner go beyond 14 days....

Temps being an important part of the process...

If you are having troubles cloning and you are doing everything the same as your mentor... its probably temps....

your medium a couple degrees +- 80f is perfect imo...

JJScorpio said:
I have a friend that tried it, and he didn't rave about it, lol. I think it boils down to the proper, heat, moisture and light. I could probably bring the temps up some and get cuttings to root faster, but then you up your chances of bacteria killing them.

Yup thats it in a nutshell....

Last edited:

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A few months back I tried the perlite/vermiculite mix and the most of them rooted after 21 days and a few didnt root until after day 30. There wasnt any green left in the leaves whatsoever. They were so far gone they couldnt rejuvinate. The problem with that mix is there is very little, if any oxygen getting to the stem.

G

JJScorpio said:
I have a friend that tried it, and he didn't rave about it, lol. I think it boils down to the proper, heat, moisture and light. I could probably bring the temps up some and get cuttings to root faster, but then you up your chances of bacteria killing them.

Thats to bad because I was going to try some in perfume sample containers. 1 clone per vial filled with clonex matrix and a foam cap to hold clone in place. I figured I could use a big piece of styrofoam to hold as many as I want, as I have like 6 or 7 varities growing and at least 5 unsexed plants of each :bat:

thanks for the info.. :wave:

G

Well that is a point we disagree...

I have a cloning thread in this forum....

I use pure fine vermiculite.... and my clones root faster than any other method Ive tried and most certainly pure verm has less oxygen in the root zone than perl and verm...

Heres 9 days...

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Stoned Silly said:
Thats to bad because I was going to try some in perfume sample containers. 1 clone per vial filled with clonex matrix and a foam cap to hold clone in place. I figured I could use a big piece of styrofoam to hold as many as I want, as I have like 6 or 7 varities growing and at least 5 unsexed plants of each :bat:

thanks for the info.. :wave:

Hold on Stoned, lol. I said I knew a friend that tried it, but one persons opinion means nothing. I would like to see you try it and let us know. We can't base our opinions on one persons experience. Give it a try and let us know.

Tunefull

Hello all
Nice and easy guide JJS

Not sure if u mentioned anything about temps(if u did i missed it)
But i feel temps are pretty much the most important factor when trying to get cuttings to root...Even slightly to cold will delay things....

I know is a lot to ask
but one day maybe you will run a few experiments..Try a few in ANY medium,with no rooting hormones/no scarring or anything...Just nice warm temps....

I think as long as the temps are right,The ones with no scarring/rooting gel so on will root just as well as the others......

But yea the guide is just what u need to read when your first trying(its a confusing time)

G

You could be right....

Oddly I didnt really know what my mediums temp was...

guessing I would have thought 76 to 80 degrees f...

I ran and bought a aquarium thermometer at walmart just this morning

and the shelf where my cloner sits is 83 degrees.... I just knew it worked really well....

my roots fly out of my plants....

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey Tune, thx for stopping in. I keep my temps between 70 and 75 degrees. The higher temps can lead to stemrot and yellowing of the leaves quicker. If you get a fungus started, it can get them all.

I did make a mistake, my wife said I did these clones on the 3rd, not the 1st as I thought. Pot smoking I guess, lol.

I checked a couple this morning and the roots are coming nicely. Here is a pic of one. As you see, there will be heavy rooting soon. There are numerous roots just breaking the plug. So this one took just under 8 days, which I think is faster then they usually show roots. Also notice how nice and green the leaves are.

Last edited:
G

Those are looking good JJ. :D:yes:
One thing I would like to add is that the temps can easily be regulated with a heating mat. I have a simple heating mat from the drugstore that has been invaluable to me. My mat has 3 settings on it so depending on the room temps I can adjust the temps easily with a push of a button. I also like to put about a 1/2" of water in the bottom of my tray to help keep up the humidity. The heating mat also helps keep the rootzone warm and you rarely have to moisten the RapidRooters because of the high humidity.

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Good advice Indo. I dont use a heating mat because I have a small cabinet that stays room temperature with the one light. At night with the light off it goes down to 70. A heatmat is a great idea if the clones are in a cooler room.

Core

Quality Control Controller
ICMag Donor
Veteran
good thread scorpio...:yes:
should of have this thread when i started out .. :chin: :moon: :pointlaug

i used 2 have some plants die on me with this methode...but i got a tip from jorges cervantes somewhere on the net....and have 100 % survival rate untill now...i'd like 2 share the tip with IC

cut the clone.....cut stem in middle about 1 a 1.5 cm ...moist middle...dip in rootinghormone ..shure that you have hormone on the middle and sides...and put in soil...
i must say its the best way for me :D

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thx for the addition Core. I am glad you got it mastered.

My biggest thing I would like to get through to people is don't think you have failed because you don't have roots within a week or so. This is not the norm. I got so frustrated when I first started because of this. It took me a long time to realize this. So what if it takes you 2 to 3 weeks, as long as they root.

Just be consistent with what has been said and let them root at their own pace. This will get you some confidence in knowing you can do it. That is 90 percent of the battle. Also, dont be afraid to cut some clones and practice, even if you dont need them. Each time you get them to root will give you more confidence. It took me years to understand that you wont get all of them to root everytime and be happy when you hit 50 percent. Work your way up from there. Each batch you will learn a little more about the plants you are working with, and soon you will be comfortable with what you are doing.

Last edited:

Core

Quality Control Controller
ICMag Donor
Veteran
np scorpio ...i can only pass what i have learnd so far...and as for showing roots i cut them in time so they have all the time they need ...and i agree that is't the norm..my plants show in 10 a 14 days in not optimal conditions....by that i means 50 a 60 % humidity..... i'm not in a hurry realy...aslong there are no empty space's in flowerroom it will be good :joint:

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A full flowering room is always a wonderful thing. I will agree with you that 10 to 14 days is about the right time to start seeing roots, although I have seen stubborn strains take much longer. I have a purple power mother that tests my patience everytime I clone her. She will not mold outside under any circumstances, but get the temps to warm while cloning and the whole bunch will rot. Certain strains are simply better cloners then others.

G

Good thread, I do almost exactly the same but with these diff:

rockwool 1" cubes (slower to root through IMO, but better root structure IMO)
clonex
I probably dont pay as much attention to the fine razor cut (I just scissor em)

cric

nice thread JJ. i didn't know about nitrogen issues associated with cloning.
thanks for the info! :smile:

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thx cric. How have you been?

I did a little reading up on the subject in the last few months. I feel like I am honoring my parents for the money they spent on my education, lol......

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The 45 degree angle at the bottom of the cutting should be cut with a single stroke. It is not good to try to correct a bad cut by cutting a little bit of the cut tip off. Just make a new single swipe cut so that the cambium exposed is even. This will help speed reconnection and growth of the vascular tissues.

Be sure to clean your knife with ethanol before each cut to prevent disease.

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
pipeline said:
The 45 degree angle at the bottom of the cutting should be cut with a single stroke. It is not good to try to correct a bad cut by cutting a little bit of the cut tip off. Just make a new single swipe cut so that the cambium exposed is even. This will help speed reconnection and growth of the vascular tissues.

Be sure to clean your knife with ethanol before each cut to prevent disease.

Good point pipeline. I use a new razor everytime.

Someone asked what plants these future clones came from. The first 6 rows of 2 are from 6-G13-Diesel plants. I took 2 clones from each plant. The next row is Skunk that a friend asked me to try. The next row is Boggle and the last row is Sour BubbleBX3. All of these clones were taken off plants 2 weeks into flower. This may slow them down just a touch. Here is a pic of the mothers in flower.

Latest posts

Latest posts