What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Whats your Favorite, and least favorite coco coir "brand" and WHY

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
100% Canna no aeration.

I've tried their bricks but they're a hassle and I didn't like the texture.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
I use Salamander Soil by Fox Farm. It's coir, perilite, guano, and ewc.
I love it.
I wanna try a bucket of straight coir to compare

Greenlife1

The cyco pearls bag is good. Has some perlite.
I like cloud coir. It's 50/50 if I remember right.
Gets watered 2-3 times a day.

sturgeongeneral

Veteran
I'm running nothing but canna coco from the bricks in 1 gallon pots multifeed 3x a day and so far it's been good. Feeding till runoff every 4 hours.

R

Rab.C

i like Dna Mill's coco with added CORK. very light coco and works for me...

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I use Cyco. I get the one with perlite in it. It's cheap and it's high quality.

Medfinder

Chemon 91
Worst? Cheap 5 dollars brick Chinese that won't pH even when stacked for 2 weeks in vinegar.

Best? Bagged botanicaire from a previous grow found in the dumpster behind hydostore...shake out all the roots... Check pH and add perlite.

Pumpkin

Veteran
I have tried a whole lot of coco. I think brand barely matters. Flush it real good and the cheap stuff in bricks is fine. There are greater improvements to be made elsewhere in your grow. Adding perlite, going for a more chunky or spending more money does not add a great deal in yeild or quality from my experience. Others my disagree. If you are not growing in an ultra small container, it's a variable I personally would not stress too much about. There are a lot of more interesting things to worry about. I feel it is more a matter of preference than performance. Could be totally wrong also :)

Lyfespan

block coco from HD is the best i have used, and best one for reuse too

dried block coco= no bugs

R

Rab.C

i am using dna mills coco with added cork

Last edited:

J-Icky

block coco from HD is the best i have used, and best one for reuse too

dried block coco= no bugs

That’s actually not true. Bricks of coco can harbor dormant fungus gnats and I’m sure other pests. I had a brick that whenever I would break some off and use it I would get an outbreak of fungus gnats within a week of hydrating it. Couldn’t figure out where they were coming from until I stumbled upon a thread that discussed this very issue. So I did what the person did and hydrated some and left it sealed in a bucket for about a week. When I popped the lid off there were a handful that flew out the second I opened it and another 20-30 crawling around inside the bucket.

But the good thing about bricks of coco is that you control how they get hydrated and what they get charged with. So now I hydrate with boiling water and leaving it sit until it cools and then refill with boiling water and let sit again. Then I flush until it’s to my liking and then charge how I like to so I know exactly what I’m starting with.
I guess you could do the same with bagged coco but it just seems a waste since your paying more for not having to go through the hassle of hydrating and charging.

Latest posts

Latest posts