What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My first DIY ebb n flow. Setup.

ODF

Hey.

I've done a couple of grows and will finish my first hydro grow in a few weeks. Now I'm trying to set up my first E&F and could use some input.

I'll be growing under a 600w hps (hoping to invest in cobs later) in a 120cmx120cm tent using a 100cmx100cm tray that is 12cm deep. I want to use either a solid lid or panda film to cover the top. Thinking nine 12.5cm netpots filled with hydroton. The rest of the tray will be empty. This means very little medium to wash and hardly any risk to overwater the plants. The lid will keep moisture inside. First question is if 12cm is deep enough for the tray? It's the only size I've been able to find. I'm thinking flooding it to about 8cm.

The rez will be 150l. Since the tray hardly contains any medium I'll be flooding quite frequently. I read about flooding 10-15min every hour. If I do this, do I even need to circulate the rez to keep it aerated? The constant floodings should do the trick, right? And about the pump. What size would be adequate for this setup?

Thanks for reading and what do you think? Will it work or do I need to change something?

I will for sure post a thread as soon as I get this going.

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
1/3HP should be fine for the pump, in a tray that size. Shouldn't need anything extravagant. And I bet you could get away with doing even a bit less than 10-15min/hour until they start to get bigger. Best of luck!

R

Rab.C

Hey.

I've done a couple of grows and will finish my first hydro grow in a few weeks. Now I'm trying to set up my first E&F and could use some input.

I'll be growing under a 600w hps (hoping to invest in cobs later) in a 120cmx120cm tent using a 100cmx100cm tray that is 12cm deep. I want to use either a solid lid or panda film to cover the top. Thinking nine 12.5cm netpots filled with hydroton. The rest of the tray will be empty. This means very little medium to wash and hardly any risk to overwater the plants. The lid will keep moisture inside. First question is if 12cm is deep enough for the tray? It's the only size I've been able to find. I'm thinking flooding it to about 8cm.

The rez will be 150l. Since the tray hardly contains any medium I'll be flooding quite frequently. I read about flooding 10-15min every hour. If I do this, do I even need to circulate the rez to keep it aerated? The constant floodings should do the trick, right? And about the pump. What size would be adequate for this setup?

Thanks for reading and what do you think? Will it work or do I need to change something?

I will for sure post a thread as soon as I get this going.

Maxijet 1000 should work ok and the water flooding back into res
will work but that venturi hack would be excellent any pics of your setup ebb and flood works well my m8 used to run one

med4u

Veteran
Moot point on the return line...i use 1/2 in lines and a 1/2 pvc tee..put a cap on the tee inlet and drilled a hole in the cap to fit a piece of a bic pen cut at a 45 thru the hole till it sits in the middle of the flow direction with the 45 angle facing the exit....the flow draws the air thru the pen tube creating the venturi effect
Same principle and effect

med4u

Veteran
@ODF....more importantly than air in your res are maintaining temps in your res...64F not only allows for more oxygen but will keep pathogens at bay and negating any worry of nasties forming in your system...very important for trouble free growing in hydro