What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Terpenes for edibles

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
I am curious if anyone is adding small amount of terpenes to edibles to alter the effect profile? Just ordered a dozen different isolates from True Terpenes to experiment.

Roji

I am curious if anyone is adding small amount of terpenes to edibles to alter the effect profile? Just ordered a dozen different isolates from True Terpenes to experiment.

eat a mango while you do edibles. That will give you a quick answer

I really want to make a bunch of IPAs with terpenes added to match a strain profile. It would be fun to match up the terps already present in hops with some of the more unique terps found in cannabis and not hops. I think someone is doing a CBD IPA in Oregon.

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
eat a mango while you do edibles. That will give you a quick answer

I like to make candies with shatter, and I ordered 8-9 different Lorann essential oil flavorings. I love to mix and match the flavors, and I did not realize that I was using the Lemon in every one. I made a batch (Raspberry & Pear I think), but it seemed to not have the intensity. I figured it was missing Limonene.

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
I really want to make a bunch of IPAs with terpenes added to match a strain profile. It would be fun to match up the terps already present in hops with some of the more unique terps found in cannabis and not hops. I think someone is doing a CBD IPA in Oregon.

Every terpene spiked beer tastes like shite.

It would be really hard to cover up the starting tastes of the beer components. When cooking, you can combine flavors and use others to overpower and dominate, but you can't cancel out or get rid of ingredients.

My True Terpenes arrived today (very well packaged I might add), and I am excited to experiment. My aim to attempt to create sativa and indica effects with edibles, but I will be very interested to see how these dominate the taste of candies as well.

My questions really center along the lines of dosage of terpenes for edibles versus vaping. My recipe works out to 5mg of shatter per 1 gram candy, and I typically make 4-5 gram candies.

I am going to have some fucked up and happy friends that are blind testing these for me...

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
I am currently adding about ~.03ml of essential oil per 1 gram of candy. That is about .003%. I know that some of the terpenes are harmful at certain thresholds, but the amounts that I will be adding are very small in comparison.

Lots of strain reports and terpene lab analyses to print and read...

Disgusting. Essential oils are not flavor molecules. Dont care how good it smells. Lemon grass will never taste like it smells.

The only "terps" that will add to Cannabis are the ones made by the plant itself. The only edibles that worked for me were very skunky. What essential oil is that? What "food grade terp" is that?

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
Disgusting. Essential oils are not flavor molecules. Dont care how good it smells. Lemon grass will never taste like it smells.

The Lorann is a mixture of flavoring and essential oils designed for candy:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=lorann+flavoring

The only "terps" that will add to Cannabis are the ones made by the plant itself. The only edibles that worked for me were very skunky. What essential oil is that? What "food grade terp" is that?

I agree with you more than you know about cannabis terps. The problem with edibles is that the thc has to be activated (decarbed) via heat, which causes the terpenes to evaporate. So, I am trying to find a cost effective solution to add back terpenes to enhance the effect. I have no idea how it will taste, and I will likely still use a good bit of Lorann.

This is the company that I purchased from:

https://trueterpenes.com/product-category/terpenes/

I ordered Beta Caryophyllene, Myrcene, Limonene, Alpha Pinene, Beta Pinene, Linalool, Humulene, Terpinolene, Nerolidol, Geraniol & Terpineol.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The Lorann is a mixture of flavoring and essential oils designed for candy:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=lorann+flavoring

I agree with you more than you know about cannabis terps. The problem with edibles is that the thc has to be activated (decarbed) via heat, which causes the terpenes to evaporate. So, I am trying to find a cost effective solution to add back terpenes to enhance the effect. I have no idea how it will taste, and I will likely still use a good bit of Lorann.

This is the company that I purchased from:

https://trueterpenes.com/product-category/terpenes/

I ordered Beta Caryophyllene, Myrcene, Limonene, Alpha Pinene, Beta Pinene, Linalool, Humulene, Terpinolene, Nerolidol, Geraniol & Terpineol.

I used Lorann cinnamon flavoring oil in my Cannapop recipe, which was judged to be tasty and effective. I added a dash of chili oil for the Jolly Rancher fans.

I've also been experimenting with different terpene concentrates to better understand their individual flavors and effects.

Of your group I suggest that you both taste and vaporize Linalool, Myrcene, and b Caryophyllene and note the flavor and effects.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It would be really hard to cover up the starting tastes of the beer components. When cooking, you can combine flavors and use others to overpower and dominate, but you can't cancel out or get rid of ingredients.

Try a pine tree beer.

Wonder how much longer SoulAnnoyed will make it before banning.

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
I used Lorann cinnamon flavoring oil in my Cannapop recipe, which was judged to be tasty and effective. I added a dash of chili oil for the Jolly Rancher fans.

I've also been experimenting with different terpene concentrates to better understand their individual flavors and effects.

Of your group I suggest that you both taste and vaporize Linalool, Myrcene, and b Caryophyllene and note the flavor and effects.

How are you dosing for vaporizing? Just a drop on the end of a dab tool?

Will start with those first. What are your thoughts on Ocimene? It is the most expensive at TT, but I found it to be in many sativa terpene analyses.

https://trueterpenes.com/products/terpenes/ocimene/

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
Try a pine tree beer.

I know that you can do some amazing things with beer, and spirits in general, as far as flavoring, and many are great. It seems you would have to do some very unnatural things chemically to get a beer that tastes like a strain. Some things that smell good are in fact very nasty to taste, as I do not think many people spray cologne in their mouths. He he

I found that when I do terpene extraction, my hydrosols smell exactly like the strain that I processed, but when I drink it (after separating oils), it really tastes nothing like the smell and is in fact quite bitter. Looking back now, having certainly consumed some alcohol or "other than oil" based terpenes, I really did feel great after drinking it. For my next batch of terp processing, I am going to short path the hydosol and see if I can isolate any of the water solubles remaining.

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
From the True Terpenes website:

Terpenes have been used as flavor ingredients and are safe to ingest when rated “Food Grade or GRAS”. “GRAS” is an acronym for the phrase Generally Recognized As Safe and refers to food additives. While our terpenes can be safe to ingest, they must be diluted prior to use and should only be used by trained professionals. Refer to the specific MSDS safety information for details. Terpenes have many different uses from food flavoring, to perfumery, to therapeutic uses.

Due to the fact that terpenes are very potent in their pure form, you must accurately measure them. We suggest using an adjustable pipette to convenient and accurate measuring. A pipette is a laboratory tool commonly used in chemistry, biology and medicine to transport a measured volume of liquid, often as a media dispenser.

Our terpenes are of an EXTREMELY high purity. This is important when considering why they are labeled with such insane warnings such as “do not inhale, do not ingest, do not even look at them”. When in this pure of a form, terpenes ARE DANGEROUS and must be handled with the utmost care for your own safety, BUT once diluted properly, they are very safe to ingest, smell, eat, whatever.

All terpenes of this high purity MUST SHOW these warnings, legally and morally. If you see terpenes for sale somewhere that does not show these scary warnings, one of two things is occurring: 1) The product is NOT high enough purity to warrant a legal warning (when diluted, terpenes are safe enough to ingest and do not need warnings) 2) The company is in violation by not displaying the proper safety information to you. Proceed at your own risk!

We suggest starting at 1% by volume and work up from there. 1% – 5% is usually the sweet-spot. We suggest using a homogenizer when mixing the terpenes and certain oils. Limonene can also be used as an emulsifying agent. We can’t give any specific information on each terpene because every oil is different as well. If you want to freeze terpenes in a normal freezer, it will not damage them. It would take a temperature much much lower than that to pull terpenes out of a mixture.

That's a good assortment of terpenes to get started with. I hear Ocimene is one you really want. Valencine is a different orangey flavor than limonene, found in Valencia oranges. It's probably what gives Agent Orange its distint kick. I want to play around with the super powerful ones that give cannabis the super skunky, sour, cheesy, umami tones like isovaleric acid, hexanoic acid and methylmercaptan. The ones are used in TINY traces, like parts per billion as in an undiluted form, they are some of the absolute WORST smells on earth, responsible for the smells of feces, rotting meat, dumpster funk, skunk spray and even nonlethal weaponry! Got to be REALLY careful. But do it right and you should be able to get some amazingly complex flavors that tickle your tongue.

True Terpenes charges a good bit more than some other places for their individual terpenes, but they seem to do a good job sourcing really high quality stuff. You might want to look around on the more common ones. But especially for large production, I'd want to see GC/MS charts for purity levels, which they can provide.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
How are you dosing for vaporizing? Just a drop on the end of a dab tool?

Will start with those first. What are your thoughts on Ocimene? It is the most expensive at TT, but I found it to be in many sativa terpene analyses.

https://trueterpenes.com/products/terpenes/ocimene/

A drop on the end of my dabber.

Doesn't look like I have Ocimene in my collection. Here is what Rob Brown added in Sweet Mary's Charms:

14.0 Ocimene aka 3,7-dimethyl-1,3,6-octatriene
Ocimene is a terpene that is found in nature in many aromatic plants including lavender, basil, spearmint tarragon oils, mango fruits and even cashew.

Organoleptically Ocimene is a herbal floral lavender like aroma chemical with hints of mango and citrus. It is often used in light floral fragrances like lilies and lavender and in green fresh household fragrances to add value to top notes.

It is important to note that there are many different isomers and qualities of Ocimene that are available both from nature and sometimes from synthesis.

Food quality terpenes also at: https://www.extractconsultants.com/

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
Terpenes for the Win!!!

Terpenes for the Win!!!

So, I have done enough testing to unequivocally say that terpenes very much affect the entourage effect of both edibles and vape. I did not have the courage to directly dab the individual terpenes, but I made some vape oil with 15-20% terpenes in different blends. I made some terpene mixtures modeling a few Ace strains that I have grown and know intimately, and the results were a little spooky. First of all, the smell of the terpene blends came very close to that of the real flowers, and when added to some several month old shatter, it brought the vape oil in VERY different directions. It was not the full throttle sativa but it had ~80% of the effect, which absolutely stunned me.

Next step was to make some edibles using the same terpene mixtures that I tested in vape form (but with different decarbed shatter) . I made both sativa and indica blend edibles using the following active ingredients and ratio:

.5% Shatter
.25% Terpene Blend
3% Organic Lecithin
96.25% Other

With this ratio and 4 gram (ml) candy, I get 20mg THC, 10mg Terpenes & 120mg Lecithin per serving. I find these are a nice balance in potency, as it makes it easy to have 2 or 3 if required. Terpenes are added at the very last step when candy has been allowed to cool to 125-130F range.

Simple answer is that the terpene effect was just as dominant, if not even more so, when ingesting versus vaping. Really fascinating stuff!!! More soon...

WFF

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
Also, I did not mention terpene flavor in edibles. It was actually much less than I expected and quite pleasant for everything that I tested. It certainly altered the taste of the edible but not in a bad way, just something fresh and different. When I added a little of Lorann flavoring, with the sugar, it made a very "refreshing" combination. Certainly not like drinking perfume.