What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ALL ABOUT BONSAI MOMS/MUMS

Hi .....!
Good starting Peace......they are doing well for those 16 days they have.Now that they are small you can try to do those kind of thing,guiding them to where you want.
I dont let them growing in a small place from the beggining,I leave them grow normally for 3 or 4 weeks,then I get some clones,an I transplant the mum to a small recipient.....But this isn´t better or worse,I do it like that.....
I have one question for you......: what light do have fot that plant ?

I put you an example of what I did to some mums.......wich vegged for 1 month with 180 w. of fluoros in 40 x 45 and 35 cm. high.Intesive grow to make the base for a mum :

1 month mum.........18 clones !

Structure,only 6 cm. high:

Branch underneath the level of the container.....( to make it not to grow high)

Tirip tip tip :)

Can you see a big letter A here ?.......this was f. crazy !

With 3 months this one........

Jijiji........this were " big " mums.....that period ended,and now I like them more small !

Saludos !

!PeAcE!

hey,

TXOPIN - hows it going man well i agree so far so good shes startin to pump out the nodes after i transplanted her she is kept under 1 CFL with the other 2 plants for slow growth so i can do what i want with her more easily but i know im going to have to bump that up to maybe 2 cfls in the very near future. Then she will probably maintain under there for the rest of her life, after clones are taken off to the hydrohut!! anyways here are some more pics at day 20

enjoy! :lurk: :lurk: :joint: :lurk: :lurk:

slappymcgee

Txopín-Iruña said:
Can you see a big letter A here ?.......this was f. crazy !

With 3 months this one........
You certainly win the prize for craziest bonsai mum ever!

I have a few that have been around for 3 years, but they just look like normal bonsai trees. Easy to maintain under a single flouro bulb with monthly feeding. I just give them a bit more light and nutes a week before I take clones. Never had a failure in the aero cloner.

G

Greta job everyone. Txopin, thanks for all the help you have been providing in this thread, Im sure it is greatly appreciated :D Great lookin moms you got there too, never seen any quite like that lol. Best of luck with your girls peace, if you need anymorwe help, please feel free to post ?'s here. Take care everyone :wave:

guerilla

Closet Funk

CeRtIfIeD OrGaNiC!
Veteran
Finally here is a pic of my Somango x Lavender bonsai mum. I did this from seed. She is well over 6 months old. I just repotted her into some new dirt. This is the first plant I'm going to flower when I start. She has about 11 tops right now but I'm going to top each branch again so there will be 22 tops when she starts flowering.

Last edited:

hydroclops

You can pick you friends and you can pick your nos
Veteran
Awesom pictures people.
Hopfully I will post some of the bonzi moms I have been trying to do, thanks to the people in thread.

I have tried tying down on 2 of my moms and soma's method, twisting the stem between your finger and beand it at the same time.

Again guy's thanks for the insparation and I hope what I post is worthy of the work that has been done in this thread.

Stay safe and high.
HYDRO

G

Nice job closetfunk, Id love to see some pic of that girl when shes bloomin away with 22 tops :yoinks: Thanks you for the kind words pontiac. Best of luck with your project again hydro, feel free to post any pics youd like here, if you need any help just let me or one of the bonsai guru's in the thread know (I am not a bonsai guru lol but Im sure I can help) Take care everyone, and thanks for stoppin by.

guerilla

Natural

Bonsai Momma... White Rhino.
8089bonsaimomma1.jpg

8089Bonsaimomma.jpg

Half ounce of funk! (16 grams)
8089Halfounce_harvest_16_grams.jpg

hydroclops

You can pick you friends and you can pick your nos
Veteran
Thanks guerilla1018

here are a couple of my soon to be Bonzi Moms.

Hopefully they will look half s good as some of the Moms in this thread.

G

Closet Funk said:
Finally here is a pic of my Somango x Lavender bonsai mum. I did this from seed. She is well over 6 months old.
Looks very nice! If you do a bonsai from seed, at what point should you start pruning the roots?

G

nice job natural, she looks perfect I love the big thick trunk on her too :D Damn I gotta get shit all squared away so I can bust my mommas out again. Its great lookin at these awesome pics to hold me over. Thanks everyone for posting pics and advice, Im really happy that this thread has been such a resource to so many kind growers. Keep up the great work everybody, and as always, dont be shy to post pics of your bonsai :canabis: Take care and stay safe everyone :wave:

guerilla

Closet Funk

CeRtIfIeD OrGaNiC!
Veteran
Insane said:
Looks very nice! If you do a bonsai from seed, at what point should you start pruning the roots?

Check out the thread I just did on bonsai from seed. My method is keeping them in small pots right away. When they are small the root mass will stay smaller taking more time to get rootbound. I'd say trim the roots twice a year or every 6 months. I just transplanted my bonsai into another pot and she wasn't even fully rootbound yet. She has been in that pot for 6 months at least.

Endo

IcMag Resident Comic Relief
Veteran
very very nice, im going to apply this to my new mums and see how it works out. thanks.

just out of curiousity... what do you guys do with the mums when you are done with them, im planning on trying this technique but im not planning on keeping my mums for years and years... do you just flower them out? and if so hows the flowering on them? better or worse than if they were not that old and bonsai'ed.

thanks

endo

Last edited:
G

Hey everyone, I just read a post by cabanetforester that I thought might be beneficial to some of us. He is using Black Gold Bonsai potting soil, which seems to help in keeping the mother plants small. In fact he doesdt even train them, just tops them and does regular pruning. Might have to give this stuff a try for my next moms. If anybody else has used this please post it up. Thank you very much to cabanetforester (sp?) for the info :D Take care

7681PICT0011.JPG

7681PICT00101.JPG

guerilla

Last edited:
G

Nice mom there natural. looks like ou got the bonsai thing down. Cant wait to see how she turns out. Best of luck

guerilla